Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand - Pattaya - Alone - February 2014

• Samantha87S-
    RT

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2013

Hello!

Anyone else planning to visit Thailand, Pattaya in February 2014?! I really want to visit the Monkey Island (Koh Ped) and the coral island (Koh Lan) ... would like some suggestions on some places to visit!

Thanks.
    Samantha.

#1 Posted: 17/10/2013 - 07:19

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Pattaya is the place to go for male sex tourists. It's not for single women. It's the prostitute capital of the country and possible SEA.

Go to Krabi instead.

#2 Posted: 17/10/2013 - 10:53

• ricardo4

Joined Travelfish
    7th March, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Hey Samantha, i agree pattaya isnt really the best place to go, im heading to thailand late jan and will be heading down to krabi in feb if you fancy a buddy to travel with!

Rich

#3 Posted: 17/10/2013 - 17:12

• Samantha87S-
    RT

Joined Travelfish
    17th October, 2013

Hi Rich.

My Dad lives in Pattaya and has done for nearly 10 years. He is building his home currently with his wife and employing several Cambodians ... I will be staying in Pattaya for a week at least but yes I would be interested in travelling to Krabi! I had not thought of travelling further as I was alone and being a female thought it might be a bit unwise! I will be there on 5 February ... departing Bangkok on 20 February...

Sam :)

#4 Posted: 18/10/2013 - 07:28

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013
    Total reviews: 3

Pattaya one of the most dangerous places in Thailand . don,t believe me read up on the various newspapers daily. but i guess your dad thinks otherwise. does he speak Thai? does he understand foreigners can not own in Thailand ? guess he has a Thai girlfriend there?

#5 Posted: 18/10/2013 - 19:23

• ricardo4

Joined Travelfish
    7th March, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Sam

That sounds pretty good to me too, might even spend a day or two in pattaya ;-) mail me and hopefully can sort something out kevinspaceyuk@googlemail.com

Rich :-)

#6 Posted: 19/10/2013 - 06:01

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

Samantha

if you are already going to pattaya to see your dad , why not look at going to ko chang , ko maak or ko kood , all great places and easy to get to from pattaya in a few hours by bus , krabi is also great but you will have to go back to bkk then get a flight

as some one said pattaya can be a dangerous place , but you should be ok as long as your dont walk around drunk late at night on your own (this can be said for much of the world)

have a great trip

danny

#7 Posted: 21/10/2013 - 00:07

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Koh Chang is heaps better than Pattaya as is Krabi. Thailand has heaps of backpackers travelling solo. Safe as if you are sensible.

#8 Posted: 21/10/2013 - 08:21

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

A few km north of Pattaya is Sri Racha, and from there you can get to Ko Si Chang, which is pretty nice. It's not considered to be a great beach island, but there are a few that are okay. It's a nice spot to ride around on.

Chanthaburi has some interesting areas and is worth a night or two. Not many people go there. It's on the way to Trat, which is also a nice little spot with a very laid back vibe and a great night market.

#9 Posted: 21/10/2013 - 09:15

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

Safe if you are sensible agree. I think just about anywhere is heaps better than Pattaya, Phuket or Koh Samui.

#10 Posted: 22/10/2013 - 01:11

• Advertisement

• markbeales

Joined Travelfish
    2nd November, 2013

If your dad's been in Pattaya for a decade, I assume he knows what he's doing. If you're staying with him, you should be fine. You could head down to Koh Samet, which is the closest 'big' island or maybe head north to Bangsaen, which is a pleasant seafront town with good restaurants. There's plenty of good attractions in Pattaya to keep you busy for a week though. www.pattaya24seven.com has a a good 'Days Out' guide.

#11 Posted: 2/11/2013 - 13:16

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

I'd worry about anyone living in Pattaya for 10 years. It's famous for drugs, mafia crime, bargirls and sleaze.

#12 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 02:10

• braindead

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2013

I have family and friends who live in Pattaya and not one of them fits your description, have you ever been there?

#13 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 21:37

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Of course I've been there. Never again. Horrible place.

Tis funny how 90% of people who live there claim they are all holy and not involved in the sleaze.

Just like 90% of the tourists LOL

The 200,000 bargirls are there for no reason. No one ever goes near them.

#14 Posted: 5/11/2013 - 20:04

• braindead

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2013

Then I take it you went to Pattaya as part of the 90% of tourists you speak so highly of, it reminds me something on the lines of stones and glass houses.
    I must congratulate you having managed to deduce the figure of 90% from researching the 7 million expected visitors to Pattaya (figures from TAT) this year.
    and researching all 200K of bar girls must have taken you forever.
    Do try to keep your statements as factual as possible, leave the high moral ground to those more saintly than thou.

#15 Posted: 5/11/2013 - 20:22

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

So none of these 7m people are using the bargirls? They are all holy.

"Do try to keep your statements as factual as possible"

I suggest you do the same because all studies into bargirls show there's a huge number based in Pattaya - most in the country.

Crime stats are also very high in Pattaya as are suicides.

#16 Posted: 5/11/2013 - 20:28

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

An expat's view on PattayaPattaya has a quite remarkable history and has closely reflected the changes within Thailand's tourist industry for the last few decades. Conveniently located 165 kilometres southeast of the countries capitol, Bangkok and on the pleasant Gulf of Thailand, it is perfectly situated for short breaks from the city or holidaymakers passing through the country. Furthermore, the creation of the new Suvarnabhumi international airport, which is even closer to Pattaya, can only galvanise Pattaya's position as being Thailand's best known resort.
    Historically, Pattaya was nothing more than a sleepy fishing village, initially used for tourism by wealthy Thais in the mid twentieth century, it really started taking off as a holiday resort during the Vietnam war era, when U.S. soldiers used the town for rest and relaxation and inevitably with that came bars, prostitution and rapid growth.After the end of the war and the disappearance of most of the soldiers, the town started attracting European visitors when the rise in mass tourism brought holidaymakers to this part of Asia. Pattaya developed into a city of half a million people.
    The hard reality of Pattaya is that it's a well known destination for sex tourism. It has often been referred to, perhaps unkindly, as the biggest open air brothel in the World. Whether you agree with that or not is up to you but it is undeniable that it has a vast number of girlie bars, gogo bars, massage parlours (operating as brothels) and short time hotels to cater for the demand from prostitutes and their clients.There is also an area of Pattaya's nightlife well known amongst gay travellers, known as Boyztown, with gay gogo bars that draw gay men from all over the globe. Add to this Thailand's World famous lady boy shows (known in the Thai language as Kathoeys), with elaborate transsexual shows on offer in Pattaya, sin city is a real melting pot for all tastes.
    Interestingly, due to recent attempts by the authorities to promote a more wholesome Image for the resort, there has been some increase in families visiting for a holiday but these tend to stay in dedicated resort properties. The beaches are poor by most people's expectations of Thailand, massive overuse of jet skis and speedboats make the beaches noisy, the waters are polluted and the number of visitors makes for crowded sunbathing. Furthermore, there is a dominance of single male travellers, hailing from just about everywhere on Earth but are predominantly European, American and Russian. The sizeable expatriate population is naturally, almost completely male. It's difficult to see why any foreigners would choose to visit this city, other than to experience the unavoidable and obvious large scale sex industry. There is also a very real criminal element to the expatriate scene in Pattaya, ranging from those who left large debts behind in their home country, men who cannot return home because of criminal convictions at home, to more serious crimes and organised crime gangs.
    There is also a very high rate of suicide amongst foreigners in Pattaya, usually in the form of a dramatic jump from a hotel balcony. There could be any number of reasons for this but it's rumoured and generally accepted that it's down to expatriates running out of money (often due to the poor choice of girlfriend who runs off with their savings) and being unable to face returning home, low railings on balconies and alcohol leading to a tragic accident, to more sinister disputes with rivals leading to murder.
    So far, this has been a very one sided account of Pattaya. To be fair, there are World class golf facilities amongst other things that can make Pattaya an attractive proposition for retirement or expatriate life. There also are some very swish hotel complexes (see our Pattaya Hotels page) that make for a very enjoyable visit to this very special country.
    However, this is my opinion of Pattaya and I find it depressing and tiresome to wonder around the place with it's predominance of middle aged, fat, balding divorcees from the West, or young punks with too much beer in them fighting with each other (much of the reported crime in Pattaya is of fights between tourists). The reality is that most people who come here don't want temples and they don't want culture.
    If you're single, male and need somewhere within striking distance of Bangkok, I guess Pattaya is ideal. It's big, energetic, exciting, can be enjoyed on a budget and is in a hot, sunny location.

#17 Posted: 5/11/2013 - 20:31

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

It's just paradise:

http://www.pattayapeople.com/Crime-News?page=1

#18 Posted: 5/11/2013 - 20:34

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

One estimate, published in 2003, placed the total sex tourism spending in Thailand at US$ 2 billion per year (see Prospect Magazine, May 2005), but this number must have at least doubled by now. Other recent studies estimate that foreign tourists spending for sex around US$ 2 billion. This is in line with other studies showing that foreign spending for sex is approximately equal to local people's spending for sex. In other words, the current total of 4 billion is equally divided in 2 billion spending by foreigners – which are in fact Thai sex exports – and 2 billion by Thai nationals. These are not small numbers. As a matter of comparison, global rice export for 2012 was about 3 billion US$ (true, 2012 was a bad year). But the numbers concerning Thai sex exports are based on prostitution only, and do not account for total foreign spending related to sex, for example they do not include the hotel room, the restaurant, or the gifts to the girl or possibly to her family. Thus, to give a general figure, there are good reasons to surmise that total Thai sex exports were larger than total rice exports in 2012.

Now, considering that about US $ 25 billion are spent a year by foreign tourists in Thailand, that is 8% of total foreign spendings go to sex. But again, we are only talking here of sex as a direct consumption. Furthermore, this number does not account for the importance of the sex market, or its reputation, for attracting foreign tourists in Thailand. This is important because, if the average tourist allocates 8% of his/her (in fact it's almost totally his) total spendings in Thailand to prostitution, the prospect of having sex accounts for much more than 8% in his decision to come to Thailand. Thus, we have to distinguished sex tourism as estimated from sheer sex consumption, from sex tourism in the larger sense, i.e., tourism induced by prospects and fantasies concerning sexual relations. It is in this latter sense Thailand is in a very particular and advantageous position compared to other countries. The brand is well established.

Pattaya is in a particular situation, as its reputation is, more than Thailand at large, based on prospects and activities related to sex. Here again, it is difficult to have reliable numbers. The main difficulty is to measure sex tourism, first because the notion of sex tourism is ill-defined – it goes from the simple desire to meet a sex partner to the clear purpose of engaging in as many sex relations with prostitutes as possible –, and also because people don't register as sex tourists, and don't talk about this freely and sincerely. In a study made 8 years ago by researchers from the Asian University, sex tourism in Pattaya was estimated at 90% of male tourism, based on a moderate definition of sex tourism (Prof. Grubenmann: personal communication). Maybe this study, made in downtown Pattaya, overestimated sex tourism. Maybe sex tourism had a relative decrease in recent years, at the same time as numerous touristic attractions aimed at families have developed in the city and around.

Let's tackle the problem of the importance of sex tourism in Pattaya globally first, by considering the success of Pattaya as a tourist resort. In 2012 the city attracted 8 million tourists (or rather hotel stays), which makes Pattaya the largest sea resort in the world (see my blog : Pattaya now world's largest sea resort). Inevitably, the question is : what attracts people to Pattaya? To put things in perspective, Paris, the largest tourist city in the world, attracts 16 million tourists a year, the double of Pattaya. I may be prejudiced, but in my view, Paris has more than double the attractiveness of Pattaya. Venice attracts 10 million tourists ; here again, I can understand this number much better than Pattaya's. Of course, one could object that should only be compared what is comparable, so let's have a comparative look at sea resorts. There are a couple of large sea resorts in Europe (although smaller than Pattaya), like Benidorm, Torremolinos or Rimini. These resorts have developed with the expansion of mass tourism after the second world war, following the advent of paid leave. People went, and kept going there, mainly for the sea and the sun. Now the success of Pattaya needs another explanation : in Asia, the paid leave system is in its early development, and most Asians people don't like to stay in the sun and are not sea bathing fanatics either. Understand me well: I don't want to slighten the importance of attractions like the Floating Market, Nong Nooch Gardens, Underwater World and others, which draw many tourists. Yet, they are far from explaining the phenomenal success of Pattaya. Of course, one could argue that Pattaya – like other Asian resorts – started with foreign tourists, then grew out its success, people going where other people go. Surely people act like sheep, but not just like sheep. And to keep people coming back, you need a good reason for them to come back. Here again we need a better explanation. My point is that if you don't take sex tourism into account, you will simply not be able to explain why Pattaya attracts 8 million tourists. And if you are looking for such explanation, you will have to take sex tourism in a large sense in, to account.e., including the image of Pattaya as a sex hub.

#19 Posted: 5/11/2013 - 20:40

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

LeonardCohe

i my self am not a big fan of Pattaya , but really just because you spent a few days there in walking street the rest of the bar areas and you did not like it , does not mean every one should follow you. have you thought about why most expats move to Pattaya , not for the girls,drugs or mafia but for the cheap way of life , the big expat community and some of the best golf course Thailand has to offer

yes crime is high in Pattaya , but this is to true of most tourist places through out the world ,

yes there are more bar girls there then any where else in Thailand , if you don't like it stay out of the bars

danny

#20 Posted: 5/11/2013 - 20:49

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

So they are playing golf every second day? I'm a golfer myself but wouldn't consider Pattaya a good option to play golf. There are far better destinations with much higher ranked courses.

I don't care whether people like Pattaya or not but facts are facts. All studies and info show the main reason people go for is for sex.

To pretend otherwise is just naive.

There are far better destinations for golf and beaches and sex is the only explanation for the 8 mill tourists.

Phuket and Bangkok make the list of top 10 elite courses:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/forbestravelguide/2012/09/25/asias-10-most-elite-golf-courses/

#21 Posted: 5/11/2013 - 20:58

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

I spent two nights there. Once because i was curious. Second time because i was heading towards Trat. Big mistake and i agree it is a dangerous crap hole that tends to attract a lot of very questionable humans. Not a moral ground statement but fact. As one website put it so well: "this country is being invaded by the lowest quality foreigners imaginable" That sums up Pattaya and a few other locations very well. My friends including my Thai friends avoid the place completely. Barely a day goes by without foreigners falling off balconies, bar girls drugging tourists, murders, bike gangs causing trouble, rapes, robberies, the list goes on and on. i have to admit i seriously question any ones common sense for calling that place safe and wonderful. Perhaps influenced by large amounts of booze. Now a boat sinking. those boats should carry no more than 50 yet the tourists 150 and more pile onto a dangerous death ride. I have to again agree with LC on this one. That place is scary! It has some serious bad karma. Bangkok is safer.

#22 Posted: 5/11/2013 - 21:16

• braindead

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2013

You really are missing the point by simply taking comments from otherssee the last para you have copied, it reads: "However, this is my opinion of Pattaya and I findit depressing and tiresome" whether this is your opinion or from anotherparty it is just that an OPINION NOT FACT.

What facts do you have re the number of bar girlsin Pattaya, suicides, or crime stats? If you have documented evidence, then to substantiateyou claims you would then have to collate the information from each of thecities in Thailand, to amply prove that Pattaya is somehow worse than sayBangkok!

Quoting facts that I wouldsuggest even the Thai government would find hard to prove is not helpful andonly displays your ignorance of the city and more over of those people thatlive there. Of course there is a sex industry in Pattaya but is not that trueof any major city in the world? But to imply that all the people that live orvisit the place are deviates only displays your mudded thought processes.

If it makes it easier for you tounderstand I have copied your example and copied someone else’s opinion,extract taken from http://wikitravel.org/en/Pattaya

Crime
    ‘Like most of Thailand, Pattaya isgenerally safe for tourists and violent crime such as mugging or robbery isunusual, with the exception of jewellery and bag snatching’

But alas I appreciate this will fall ondeath ears and I have no interest in copy and pasting other people’s OPINIONSsafe to say you have a dislike of Pattaya, fine stop generalising on itsinhabitants
    While writing this I appreciate you have responded re the golf, you will note I love old sayings and your last comment reminds me of "we have a black cat in the room" it comes about when you are in company and when ever a topic is raised their is someone in the group that has done more, been there, or done it better than every one else! sounds possibly that we indeed do have a "back Cat in the Room"

#23 Posted: 5/11/2013 - 21:19

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"What facts do you have re the number of bar girlsin Pattaya, suicides, or crime stats?"

Let's tackle the problem of the importance of sex tourism in Pattaya globally first, by considering the success of Pattaya as a tourist resort. In 2012 the city attracted 8 million tourists (or rather hotel stays), which makes Pattaya the largest sea resort in the world (see my blog : Pattaya now world's largest sea resort). Inevitably, the question is : what attracts people to Pattaya? To put things in perspective, Paris, the largest tourist city in the world, attracts 16 million tourists a year, the double of Pattaya. I may be prejudiced, but in my view, Paris has more than double the attractiveness of Pattaya. Venice attracts 10 million tourists ; here again, I can understand this number much better than Pattaya's. Of course, one could object that should only be compared what is comparable, so let's have a comparative look at sea resorts. There are a couple of large sea resorts in Europe (although smaller than Pattaya), like Benidorm, Torremolinos or Rimini. These resorts have developed with the expansion of mass tourism after the second world war, following the advent of paid leave. People went, and kept going there, mainly for the sea and the sun. Now the success of Pattaya needs another explanation : in Asia, the paid leave system is in its early development, and most Asians people don't like to stay in the sun and are not sea bathing fanatics either. Understand me well: I don't want to slighten the importance of attractions like the Floating Market, Nong Nooch Gardens, Underwater World and others, which draw many tourists. Yet, they are far from explaining the phenomenal success of Pattaya. Of course, one could argue that Pattaya – like other Asian resorts – started with foreign tourists, then grew out its success, people going where other people go. Surely people act like sheep, but not just like sheep. And to keep people coming back, you need a good reason for them to come back. Here again we need a better explanation. My point is that if you don't take sex tourism into account, you will simply not be able to explain why Pattaya attracts 8 million tourists. And if you are looking for such explanation, you will have to take sex tourism in a large sense in, to account.e., including the image of Pattaya as a sex hub.

#24 Posted: 5/11/2013 - 21:25

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"Pattaya isgenerally safe for tourists and violent crime such as mugging or robbery isunusual, with the exception of jewellery and bag snatching’"

http://www.pattayapeople.com/Crime-News?page=1

#25 Posted: 5/11/2013 - 21:27

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"braindead"

You said it.

#26 Posted: 5/11/2013 - 21:28

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"In a study made 8 years ago by researchers from the Asian University, sex tourism in Pattaya was estimated at 90% of male tourism, based on a moderate definition of sex tourism (Prof. Grubenmann: personal communication)."

Millions of golfers? LOL

Phuket and Bangkok has better courses as does dozens of other countries around the world.

So all those blokes are going to Pattaya to play golf on sub standard courses, visit sub standard beaches and ignore the wall to wall bargirls.

Yeah sure, you keep believing in the tooth fairy and the easter bunny.

#27 Posted: 5/11/2013 - 21:31

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"we have a black cat in the room" it comes about when you are in company and when ever a topic is raised their is someone in the group that has done more, been there, or done it better than every one else! sounds possibly that we indeed do have a "back Cat in the Room"

The black cat is you.

#28 Posted: 5/11/2013 - 21:42

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

Pattaya likely has the highest concentration of foreign criminals hiding in Southeast Asia, Phuket and Koh Samui are not far behind. Does anyone still want their daughter visiting there ? I know this is not likely a good promotion for guide books and travel sites but hey its the truth. As far as golf far better and safer places to visit. The beach a cesspool. The food not that great and expensive. The majority that visit there are people i would not want my daughter anywhere near. Do not believe me read the daily crime reports and most of the crime goes unreported. True is not good for tourism, travel guides or travel websites.

#29 Posted: 5/11/2013 - 22:06

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

LeonardCohe

not to make you sound stupid , (you are doing that your self ,)

1st phuket & bangkok are so much more expensive to buy homes in
    2nd i did not say they was the best golf courses just that they some of the best in thailand
    3rd your talking figures about tourist and i was talking about expats who live there (like the OP father)
    4th black cat in the room , know it all , that sounds like you and you great expertise in coping and pasting other people options

what you have to understand is just because you dont like it others might , not every one is a sex tourist there , and all the OP wanted was some advice on places to visit while seeing her father(who you have summed up must be a sex tourist or in the mafia )

keep up the good work of offending new people to the forum

danny

#30 Posted: 5/11/2013 - 23:22

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

Pattaya has a bad reputation world wide and for good reason. LC coping should not be a problem as many newspapers and magazines have not put Pattaya in a good light. Have yet to read one positive article outside of some resort or the city itself. As far as Phuket being more expensive for buying a home. If you really value your life money should have nothing to do with it. Besides correct me if i am wrong. Foreigners are not allowed to own land in Thailand outside of condos in certain areas. From what i have read those sub divisions in Hua Hin for example are illegal. With the government constantly in turmoil here this would be the last place on Earth i would purchase anything. It is down right dumb unless you have millions to blow and can care less about a home here because in the end you will lose it. i do not think it was his intention to hurt anyone and i agree that place should be avoided unless you enjoy the 24/7 weirdness. I agree with you that not everyone there is a sex tourist just most. I have two Thai daughters and i would not want them anywhere near the place without a bodyguard.

#31 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 00:49

• boxee

Joined Travelfish
    26th March, 2008
    Location Singapore

loner , maybe you should not get out of bed in the morning for fear of something bad happening to you ,
    the OP father has lived there for 10 years sounds like he is still ok , stop believing every thing you read
    i agree there is a lot of crime in pattaya , but have you ever been to blackpool in the UK or long beach in america , where ever there are lots of tourists , there will be lots of crime FACT

would you let your daughter walk around london ?? ( london normally makes it into the top 10 most dangerous cities in the world , never seen pattaya in this list , some times i see bangkok )

#32 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 01:06

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

32 posts in - Samantha, hope something of the above has been of use. Tks @markbeales, @tilapia @boxee :-)

#33 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 05:28

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"not to make you sound stupid , (you are doing that your self ,)

1st phuket & bangkok are so much more expensive to buy homes in"

Sorry but farangs aren't allowed to buy land in Thailand. Who is the stupid one? That would be you. You can't even write a sentence let alone understand what you are talking about.

Buying some apartment in Thailand is a dud investment. Especially in a corrupt country like Thailand where they can build a factory next to an apartment block and the value tumbles.

"2nd i did not say they was the best golf courses just that they some of the best in thailand"

Wow. Thailand ranks low for golf.

"3rd your talking figures about tourist and i was talking about expats who live there (like the OP father)"

A lot of expats who live there are into the whole sleaze. That's why they go there. Not much else going for it. There's other places in Thailand that are cheaper and less sleazy.

"4th black cat in the room , know it all , that sounds like you and you great expertise in coping and pasting other people options"

Just posting info. It seems you're not interested in the real world. Just some fantasy suger coated version of it.

#34 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 09:02

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"With the government constantly in turmoil here this would be the last place on Earth i would purchase anything."

Lots of horror stories of farangs buying apartments in 2 names or buying land and house in wife's name only for the wife to sell it without him knowing and losing the lot.

Silly buying anything in Thailand unless it's throw away money.

You can invest money elsewhere, get much higher returns and rent a good place cheap in Thailand.

You only have to read the expat forums to hear all the stories of farangs losing money.

I know a guy who moved to Thailand to retire but his girlfriend took him for more than 100 grand and at the age of 65 had to go back to work.

Read the forums - there are many stories like this and worse.

#35 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 09:05

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

I could not agree more with the above statement. ^^^^ Foreigners are NOT allowed to purchase land in Thailand and yes there are numerous horror stories about foreigners losing everything because of not doing their research.

#36 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 09:09

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

I was just reading three more reports out of Pattaya. #1 Drunk German kills one injures at least fourteen leaving quite a path of broken cars, motorbikes and phone booths. #2 and #3 in both cases foreigners drinking booze one knocked out and robbed the two others beaten badly. Braindead: could you please remind us how safe and wonderful Pattaya is ? Phuket and Koh Samui and a few other locations not much better.

#37 Posted: 10/11/2013 - 00:29

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Who cares how about sex tourism? How is that related to the OPs post? She was looking for things to do. Pattaya has a nice little salsa scene. I recommend it. Good beginners class. On the corner of beach road and Soi 5. Called Scandanavia.

Pattya does have some fun water sports - albeit the beaches are not the best.
    Obviously if your dad has lived there for ten years, he'll know the lay of the land.

#38 Posted: 10/11/2013 - 06:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.