Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thais Staying At Foreign Guesthouses Or Eating Where Foreigners Eat.

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013
    Total reviews: 3

Question: Why is it you very rarely if ever see Thais staying at guesthouses where foreigners stay? An example Fame's guesthouse in Chumphon. Nor do you see them eating where foreigners go such as a guesthouse or restaurant aimed towards tourists. Nor do you see them using travel agents. I have my theory. What is yours ?

#1 Posted: 17/10/2013 - 20:15

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Some guesthouses don't allow locals to stay. Varies place to place.

If a restaurant is aimed at tourists rather than locals it kinda makes sense that locals wouldn't eat there.

Thais not using travel agents?? News to me.

#2 Posted: 17/10/2013 - 20:49

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

Would a Thai not allow another Thai to stay or eat at their guesthouse even if the hotel or guesthouse is half owned by a foreigner? Are the Thais considered more dirty or disrespectful than a foreigner and unable to follow the rules ? Are the prices more expensive for food and rooms than most Thais can afford? Or is it the quality of the food and rooms is also lower than where a Thai would stay? As far as travel agents i meant where the foreigners visit. Rarely if ever have seen a Thai use their services unless with a foreigner who was paying. Do Thais listen to touts for example at train or bus stations in Chumphon or Surat that have guesthouses or minivans for travel? Like Fame's in Chumphon ? I have stayed at numerous guesthouses and hotels in many areas of Thailand that tend to cater to Thais and have never been denied a room and pay the same price as a foreigner. On another subject the long tail boats from Ranong have been 100 baht round trip for years not 300 or even as high as 1000 baht. Could a Burmese or Thai afford 300 round trip daily ? Your common Thai makes 300 or less a day and the Burmese even less. Sorry for all the questions but would be interested in hearing any ideas.

#3 Posted: 18/10/2013 - 03:00

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Places choose who they allow to stay. Some don't allow Thais, some say no to Israelis, Indians or Malaysians - some say no to foreingers full stop. Their place - their business. I don't think there is some great conspiracy behind it. I've seen similar situations in India, Singapore, Malaysia and New Zealand - hardly unique to Thailand. Many different reasons for it - from bigoted owners, to theft perception to wanting to avoid guests who become residential.

Some places, especially budget bungalows on the islands will charge Thais per person rather than by room -- meaning a 300 baht hut might be 300 baht for an Australian couple or 600 baht for a Thai couple. I've had this repeatedly defended to me by the bungalow operation (almost always Thai run) because Thais tend to use a lot more water. Is that true? I have no idea.

I've seen plenty of Thais (without a foreigner) in travel agents used by foreigners. All over the country. No sign of some foreigner paying the bill.

On minibuses there are often other minibus services that are known to Thais that the majority of foreign travellers don't know about -- the minibuses from Victory Monument in Bangkok are a good example of this. I'd guess most backpackers grabbing a minibus from KSR don't realise they could get one from Victory Monument -- and if you were Thai why would you go to KSR when Victory is far more convenient to other public transport and you're not going to have to deal with people from another culture that perhaps you'd prefer to avoid. That said I've seen plenty of Thai travellers boarding the minibuses from KSR, though I have had Thai friends turned away from the big bus services from KSR - I assume because the buses are illegal.

Fame is a backpacker factory. I don't really get what that place has to do with all this?

The boat has a double/triple pricing system by the sounds of it. If you don't want to pay the inflated fee, don't use the service.

#4 Posted: 18/10/2013 - 04:22

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

You do see Thais at guesthouses but I agree in many you do not.

As for the question of eating I think it is self evident - the quality and price is rarely going to tempt a Thai and I very rarely eat at a guesthouse/tourist resturant myself and much prefer to venture out intop the town and eat with the locals

#5 Posted: 18/10/2013 - 05:41

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Why is it you very rarely if ever see Thais staying at guesthouses where foreigners stay?

One reason is that Thais live and work in Thailand, so when they travel it's not like a long-term backpacking adventure but rather a short holiday. So they usually would stay somewhere a bit nicer than a cheap guesthouse. They also often have their own cars so prefer somewhere with a lot of parking, which guesthouses usually don't have. A lot of Thais also have friends who live in the places they travel to, so they don't need accommodation at all. Another reason is that a lot of guesthouses, and entire neighborhoods in some places, cater specifically to foreigners. It's not a shock that you don't see many Thais staying on KSR. I would also venture a guess that Thais looking for a cheap room would be inclined to stay in a cheap Thai style hotel (of which there is always at least one in every town) rather than a cheap guesthouse. With all that said, I have seen plenty of Thais, particularly younger people, staying in guesthouses in Thailand.

Nor do you see them eating where foreigners go such as a guesthouse or restaurant aimed towards tourists.

Pretty obvious answer here, as people have mentioned already... I also try to avoid such restaurants as I find quality to be lacking compared to local style restaurants, which are usually a lot cheaper too.

Nor do you see them using travel agents.

Not true. Speedboat tours from many islands seem to get at least half of their business from Thais, if not more, and that's just one example. But a lot of Thais do have their own cars and so don't do a lot of the tours that foreigners do. They also obviously know their way around Thailand better, including local transport like songthaews and minibuses, so they're capable of doing more independently than the average foreign tourist.

Are the Thais considered more dirty or disrespectful than a foreigner and unable to follow the rules ?

I definitely don't think that's the case, either in the minds' of guesthouse/hotel owners or just plain reality. If anything, many Thais may perceive foreigners in that way, especially backpackers.

Are the prices more expensive for food and rooms than most Thais can afford?

In general, I'd say there's less disposable income among Thai society than, say, America or Western Europe. But there are plenty of Thais who can afford pricey hotels, and there aren't many who can't afford a 500 baht per night room every now and then.

Do Thais listen to touts for example at train or bus stations in Chumphon or Surat that have guesthouses or minivans for travel?

Well, I don't listen to them and never have, and I'm not Thai. But I do regularly see Thai touts (especially tuk tuks / taxis) being just as pushy with Thais when they get off the bus as with foreigners. Obviously they speak Thai to the Thais. :)

Your common Thai makes 300 or less a day and the Burmese even less.

There are definitely people in Thailand still getting paid that poorly (that's minimum wage now, not that every employer sticks to the rules), but I wouldn't say it's the "common" Thai. That's like saying the "common American" earns $8 an hour. 300 baht a day is the low end.

My impression from reading your questions is that some of your perceptions about Thailand are quite skewed, or not in line with reality.

#6 Posted: 18/10/2013 - 06:52

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

I think after living here nearly 15 years away from the tourist areas i understand a few things about Thailand. I understand well how Thais think about foreigners and how they go about their daily lives. I was asking these questions to get a view point from what others thought about guesthouses, hotels, restaurants and transport here. A few things i agree with you on. One is the over priced and often awful Thai food at the guesthouses. Foreigners pay far more than the Thais and have far fewer options for meals. I never eat at them. My hunch is most Thais would not pay the high prices nor touch the food. Second i do not believe Thais in general are rude. In most cases its the foreigners and another reason i never stay where the foreigners spend the night besides the Thais tend to stay at much better locations that are often cheaper than where the tourists stay. I avoid all touts myself more so the ones promoting anything having to do with foreigners, far too many i would consider dodgy. As far as travel agents not sure i agree on that one, not saying your wrong but i rarely see Thais in them. But thank you for your input.

#7 Posted: 18/10/2013 - 07:52

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

I apologize. Your questions gave me the impression that you hadn't spent very much time in Thailand.

Just out of curiosity, what is your theory that you mention in the initial post?

#8 Posted: 18/10/2013 - 22:52

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

In a nutshell most Thais avoid guesthouses because they are overpriced and the food prepared for foreigners is crap. The rooms are over priced and low quality compared to where the Thais tend to stay. Many Thais tend to feel that often foreigners are rude, often drunk, low class and make zero effort to learn about Thai customs learning the simple Do's and Don'ts. Also foreigners showing off their bar girl in public is looked down on. As far as touts that are aimed towards foreign guesthouses, hotels or restaurants they should be avoided at all costs. A good example is a Thai woman who often meets the train in Chumphon a scam pro that works for a certain guesthouse there. Heard of numerous reports afterwards from some tourists. I played the dumb tourist a few times and found she is a liar not uncommon with those types of places. But myself i never stay, or eat, get a massage, or whatever from anywhere that deals with large numbers of tourists. Finally foreigners that don,t know any better and flash around lots of cash tend to drive prices up and up. A good example the long tall boats that travel from Ranong. The going rate is 100 baht round trip not 300 baht or 1000. There is something called (Dao San) or (Gar Ka You Tee Tomm) basically meaning everyone goes for the same price Thai, Burmese, or foreigner. What is your opinion?

#9 Posted: 19/10/2013 - 00:35

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom

I could not agree more althought there are one or two honourable exceptions regarding price of rooms and very occasionaly regarding the food but these are often more like a homestay than a guesthouse and tend to be off the beaten track

Personally i enjoy visiting the non touristy areas and if you have any recommendations about places that fit thsi to visit /stay I would be more than happy to hear - perhaps via PM . This year on my next visit I intend on stoping in some of the places I have passed by in buses and trains such as Ban Takhli, Nakhon Sawantaphin Hin, and Phichit as I make my way to Kampaeng Phet and perhaps the same between saraburi and Chanthaburi

My idea is simple if i like the place stay awhile and if not get the next train bus out

#10 Posted: 19/10/2013 - 05:30

• Advertisement

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

amnicoll private message will not work. please contact me at homelessinalaska@yahoo.com thanks

#11 Posted: 19/10/2013 - 07:19

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom

Hi Loner

have sent you an email and now see why pm will not work

#12 Posted: 20/10/2013 - 10:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.