Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Exit ticket necessary when travelling to Thailand?

• capisce

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2013

I'll be travelling solo to Thailand in November, without a visa (planning to go with the visa exemption rule). After Thailand I'll be seeing other parts of South East Asia, exact itinerary has not been decided yet.

However, it says on the Thai embassy website:

They must have a confirmed return ticket to show that they are flying out of Thailand within 30 or 15 days of entry, as appropriate. Open tickets do not qualify. Travelling overland out of Thailand by train, bus, etc to Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia (including en route to Singapore), Myanmar, etc is not accepted as proof of exiting Thailand.

You may be asked to show your flight ticket on entering Thailand. If you do not possess a flight ticket to show you will be exiting Thailand within 30 or 15 days of entry you will be most likely to be refused entry.

Do I really need an exit ticket when entering the country? I was hoping to not have to decide my exact journey until I arrive in Thailand. If not I guess I'll have to plan the next leg of the trip beforehand (is this the case with other SEA countries too? i.e. do I always need to plan two legs ahead?)

Also, it says I need to prove I have funds of at least 20,000 baht. How is such proof usually provided?

Finally, is it possible to reenter Thailand after having travelled to other countries in the region? Would I get another 30 days? If I find out I want to spend more time in Thailand, what would you suggest?

#1 Posted: 20/10/2013 - 11:35

• Advertisement

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013
    Total reviews: 3

When you leave Thailand and reenter by land you are given 15 days. If you return by air 30 days. Did you need a return ticket? Yes and No Having said that if they should ask and you do not have one you could be in trouble. They rarely ask to see yours funds. Than again they might then what are you going to do? If you do not have enough money to stay here or return home. What are your plans? Thailand has had a huge increase over the years of people begging on the streets or getting themselves into a very bad situation fast because of not having enough cash or other problems. Now there is talk of making it difficult for everyone because of this. Read the Bangkok Post if you don,t believe me. Do your research before you arrive. Read, read and read again. It does,nt hurt to be prepared. You you need to plans two legs ahead ? In your case it perhaps would not hurt to have a plan B.

#2 Posted: 20/10/2013 - 20:25

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

You won't get asked at Thai immigration for proof of onward flight, but there's a very good chance that your airline will ask you at check-in before they allow you onto the plane. Two out of the last three airlines I've flown into Thailand from the US have asked for proof.

One way to overcome this is to buy a cheap "throw away" ticket (i.e. Bangkok to KL) on Air Asia or another budget airline. If you don't use the ticket, you'd have to swallow the fare, but if you shop around it's usually possible to find a promotional fare for not much more than 1,000 baht. Others have also said that having a Thai tourist visa is enough for airlines to allow you onto the plane, but when traveling into the country on a tourist visa a couple years ago, I was asked to show proof of exit within two months. I actually had a purchased flight out within three months, and I had to explain that I was going to extend the visa for 30 days, which they found acceptable enough to let me on board.

I've never been asked for proof of funds -- usually this is only required when applying for certain types of visas. Then again, probably depending on what country you're a citizen of, it could be enforced. If you're from a developed country, it's highly unlikely. In any case, a printed or electronic bank statement would be all you'd need.

Generally speaking, Thai immigration do not ask for proof of exit if you arrive overland. It also seems to be the case that regional airlines like Air Asia do not ask for proof of exit. If you don't have a Thai visa, it's 15 days if arriving by land, 30 if by air, as many times as you want.

#3 Posted: 20/10/2013 - 22:32

• capisce

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2013

@theloner It's not that I don't have enough money, I'm just wondering if it's possible to prove the fact without carrying that money on me in cash.

@DLuek Thanks, I might get a cheap throw-away ticket in the last minute if I haven't decided by then where to go.

#4 Posted: 21/10/2013 - 00:30

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

You won't be asked to show a return ticket or sufficient funds on arrival. Sure that is written somewhere but virtually never enforced on arrival. Immigration will just stamp your passport with a 30-day visa-exempt entry and you're in. The potential hangup is leaving home when checking in at the airport pre-departure. Airline policy often requires proof of onward flight ticket within a certain number of days, and how strictly this is enforced is somewhat random, so best be prepared with a convincing itinerary or maybe a cheapo onward flight ticket to Cambodia or whatever. AirAsia.com. Or get a tourist visa in advance at the nearest Thai consulate, which should negate to onward flight requirement.

#5 Posted: 21/10/2013 - 01:40

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@capisce - as per the above. Jetstar in particular is notorious for being difficult in this regard. In my last 50 of so air entries into Thailand I've been asked for an onwards ticket once on arrival (I had one so it was no big deal, and I got the impression it was a cursory question).

As @captain_bob says, pre departure can be more of a problem and that can be best approached by showing an onwards ticket you have no plans to use (as suggested by @dluek) but I've also heard a story from one who found a hotel reservation in another country to be sufficient -- person had been barred entry onto a Jetstar flight in Melbourne, so went and booked a hotel in KL with Agoda and went back and showed them the voucher, saying they planed to leave the country by train. That apparently worked.

Better still, don't fly Jetstar ;-)

#6 Posted: 21/10/2013 - 01:47

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

somtam: its not ***** JS, its AUSTRalia that consistently gets remakrs about airlines enforcing this.
    Even on the very same airline, it may differ as to where you board.
    Also: can people really think? A 60-day tourist visa cost 1000THB, or ca. 33US$. The cheapest ticket OUT on AA always involve also the 700THB airporttax-the total will thus always come over 1000THB.However, it is reportedly possible to get 600THB back of that tax for unused flights-100THB fee. takes monthes.
    Just showing a printed booking is enough-there are enough tricks that make that quite easy...........

#7 Posted: 21/10/2013 - 05:32

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

Can people really think ? Good question. After what i have seen arriving at the airport sometimes i have my doubts. The 60 day visa is perhaps the best idea. Not having to deal with border crossing if you don,t plan to leave Thailand. Read the proposed increased visas fees. Due to what the Bangkok Post and or government calls tourist trash. A 500 baht increase is a bit of a joke. If they really wanted to deal with the problem they should screen visitors when arriving just as they do when going to American. If they do not meet certain standards put them back on the plane. Thailand is the worlds biggest Costco store. Everyone come on in. We don,t care who you are criminal, trouble maker etc. Much of this lot would never be allowed in the United States, Canada or Europe.

#8 Posted: 21/10/2013 - 21:47

• Paddy1888

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2013

I'm arriving to thiland in November for 7 weeks ( 49 days ) I have a return ticket back home. After 25 days of arriving in thiland I intend to take a flight to Cambodia our a train to Singapore and fly back into thiland for another 30 day visa could someone plz tell me if this is ok to do. And thanks to everyone who comments on this site its amazing and a big help to me while organising my adventure. This is my first time traveling and I'll be traveling solo I've read so many different things on this topic just like to put my mind at ease abit. Thanks

#9 Posted: 22/10/2013 - 08:33

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

^No guarantees, but since you at least have a return ticket you should probably get past airline check-in by explaining you will cross to Cambodia, etc. by land and fly back in before returning home. Some airlines and/or staff may choose to be strict on policy (proof of flight within 30 days) and some may let it slide. If you want a guarantee of no hassle by a cheap Air Asia flight to Cambodia or get a tourist visa in advance at your nearest Thai consulate.

#10 Posted: 22/10/2013 - 09:14

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

It's a lot easier to make basic flight plans and book a return ticket. I don't know why so many travellers are so confused about where they want to go. It's not that hard to work out a basic plan and leave free time in the middle.

Lost backpackers seem to just fly to Thailand and then follow each other around like sheep.

#11 Posted: 22/10/2013 - 11:01

• Paddy1888

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2013

Because it's people's first time solo traveling and it's hard to make solid plans when we do not no what to expect when we arrive. And people follow each other around because they have found some good company to share there experience with.

#12 Posted: 22/10/2013 - 11:19

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

I could not agree more. Lost sheep or cattle as i call them all following each other, to the same cities, the same restaurants, likely eating all the same crap Pad Thai, Pad Thai , Pizza, beer, more Pad Thai. Reminds watching a lost couple looking for a meal unable to speak Thai because they slightly wandered away from the herd, that was only one street away. I watched them walk from one Thai restaurant to another that had no English menus and spoke no English while the Thais just shook their heads. Some of the best (real) Thai food around for 30 baht a plate. After they wandered into the fifth restaurant which sold only soup i made the mistake of offering my help. A Thai woman asked me if i could translate and ask the foreigners what it was they wanted. I mentioned to the couple that the soup was cheap not spicy and excellent and that the shop next door had a very good selection of cheap fried food. The answer: We want Pad Thai. Having said that i am grateful that 99.9 % are going that way following each other while i am running away from them in the opposite direction. Amazing typical lost tourists! Disagree with paddy many have been following each other trip after trip year after year and still can,t count to ten in Thai.

#13 Posted: 22/10/2013 - 11:48

• capisce

Joined Travelfish
    20th October, 2013

There's something to be said for having the flexibility to change one's itinerary based on experiences and opportunities that come up on the road. But of course, I will be respectful and go by the rules of the country, if it means doing some planning ahead of time.

#14 Posted: 22/10/2013 - 12:40

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

@theloner. get over yourself. you aren't any cooler or any better than anyone else on this site. if all you have to contribute is this self-important drivel like the above, please go away, as we feel exactly about you as apparently you feel about us.

@capisce. welcome to travelfish. please ignore the unhappy people and enjoy yourself here with the rest of us. cheers.

#15 Posted: 22/10/2013 - 15:13

• Paddy1888

Joined Travelfish
    5th September, 2013

Well said exacto. Theloner nob head

#16 Posted: 22/10/2013 - 15:50

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

Well exacto and paddy188. i think Leonard has a very good point. I am happy for the 99.9 % that follow each other. It gives the rare few that have the ability, to think for themselves and make a small effort to see and experience others things. Other than the Pancake/Bar trail or eating the same things over and over again. That couple for example was not the first i have met that were going shop after shop looking for Pad Thai. They are missing out on so much great variety of good and cheap Thai food. I can understand some being fearful on their first trip. But how hard is it to learn a few words and numbers before you arrive or after ten trips here? But please be my guest and have some more Pad Thai and pizza. The noodle industry and Pizza Hut is making millions off the Pancake trail. Reminds me i need to buy more stock in Pizza Hut, thanks for contributing to my bank account. P.S. Paddy Thailand is spelled Thailand not thiland .

#17 Posted: 22/10/2013 - 19:21

• altmtl

Click here to learn more about altmtl
    Joined Travelfish
    18th May, 2009
    Location Earth
    Total reviews: 5

I don't eat Pad Thai - don't like it - and rarely eat pizza when aboard - rice soup/noodle soup/chicken-rice - that's my norm - not fond of banana pancakes or hearing the same crap about going to phuket, phi phi or the full moon party - where everyone else goes - boring. So there. :)

I do have to make a better effort at thai however.
    ZoomButt.gif

#18 Posted: 22/10/2013 - 21:22

• Chaverbe

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2013

Most travel guides and advices say you don't need a confirmed return ticket because they don't ask for it. Because we wanted to be absolutely sure we booked the cheapest ticket which is from surat thani to Kuala Lumpur (+- 20 dollar).

I'll let you know if we needed it, landing tomorrow morning.

#19 Posted: 23/10/2013 - 08:05

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

OK please do let us know how you fare. $20 for Surat to KL - that is a great deal!

#20 Posted: 23/10/2013 - 08:10

• Chaverbe

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2013

Will do,

Found it thanks to travel fish that pointed me to adiosa.com in 10 tips to find a ticket

#21 Posted: 23/10/2013 - 08:51

• buddhaland

Joined Travelfish
    6th April, 2013
    Location United States

I am traveling to Krabi from Seattle in two weeks on a one-way ticket on EVA Air thru Taipei. I have a one year non-immigrant B visa - I assume this will negate the need for a return or onward ticket?

#22 Posted: 23/10/2013 - 10:34

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

You should be fine. Speaking of fines check the Bangkok Post for the new fines starting sometimes after January 2014.

#23 Posted: 23/10/2013 - 10:59

• Chaverbe

Joined Travelfish
    17th September, 2013

Got in without anyone asking. After getting off the flight you have to fill in a paper where you have the option to fill in your return flight number. I didn't and nobody complained. Guess I shouldn't have bought the ticket after all :)

#24 Posted: 24/10/2013 - 00:31

• Captain_Bob

Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Chaverbe you were lucky, and once you were on the plane it was a given. They never check on arrival for onward tickets, only sometimes the airlines require it on departure. Welcome to Land of Smiles ;-)

#25 Posted: 24/10/2013 - 01:25

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

"There's something to be said for having the flexibility to change one's itinerary based on experiences and opportunities that come up on the road"

For sure but organising the first and last 2 days saves a lot of hassle. It's nice to have a good hotel to go to when u arrive and it's good to have return flights sorted so you don't have to worry about that or running out of money to buy them. It's also cheaper to book flights in advance.

#26 Posted: 24/10/2013 - 09:51

• CaseKad

Joined Travelfish
    25th October, 2013

I also don't have a visa but have a round trip ticket from san francisco to bangkok and back with my arrival and departure 58 days apart. I am flying with United airlines.
    I am traveling to Laos and Cambodia and I plan on flying back into Bangkok from Cambodia. Will a flight INTO thailand from cambodia be enough proof that I don't plan on staying in the country for over 30 days after arriving from San Francisco or do I need a flight out of thailand?

#27 Posted: 25/10/2013 - 20:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.