Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Why should I visit Khon Kaen?

• maesantos

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2013

Hello,

I wonder what this place can offer for a tourist like me? Any thoughts please?

#1 Posted: 21/10/2013 - 05:34

• Advertisement

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013
    Total reviews: 3

What travel agent do you work for in Khon Kaen ^^^ ? Have visited there numerous times over the years and never found it very interesting. A few ok hotels outside of that nothing that great. The Roma Hotel not a place i would advise staying at, is interesting to sit and have a drink and watch the other numerous foreigners. Outstanding food where ? Really outside of that i just spend one night in the town and move on. Overall Boring!

#2 Posted: 21/10/2013 - 07:15

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Heard it's a nice enough city but not much to do during the days. Apparently it has a ok music scene at nights and a good food market.

Issan is a good region to visit but it's best done with a car as the highlights are spread out.

#3 Posted: 21/10/2013 - 08:18

• BrittanyAbr-
    oad

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2013

I've been in Khon Kaen with my boyfriend for two months now, and there really isn't much to offer. Especially for tourists. I hear the horse races on Sundays are fun, but I have yet to make an appearance. There are some good night markets - Ton Tann being my favorite. Lots of restaurants along the two large lakes. You could also make a trip a little outside of town to the Ubonrat Dam. That's definitely worth checking out. I wrote a little about it and included pics in my post here: http://brittanyabroad.com/discovering-khon-kaen/. Other than that, really not much to see here!

#4 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 01:50

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

thanks for that Brit, that's what i heard too

#5 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 02:16

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

Been there perhaps fifty times. Trust me its boring. Unless you enjoy watching foreigners with their bar girls in front of the over priced Roma Hotel drinking beer. But the dam is a nice visit away from the typical crowds. Like anywhere some cities are interesting and some are for the most part boring. KK is in the boring.

#6 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 04:03

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

loner,

which are the better cities in Issan then in your opinion?

You like Ubon?

#7 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 06:57

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

That is a toss up. I do not care for Ubon because of the lay out of the city and again it is boring. Having said that it has far fewer tourists than Khon Kaen and for me that is a big plus for numerous reasons. I will be back in KK early next year for a night. Will have another look at the Roma Hotel circus (sex tourists/bar girls) and maybe if i have time venture a little north of town.

#8 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 17:57

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

So which cities do you like? Any?

#9 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 18:16

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

maesantos,

it really depends on what you like to do. personally, i enjoy khon kaen for most of the same reasons i enjoy khorat, which is exactly because there aren't bit attractions there. it you are looking for just an average thai place to kick around and see how folks live, maybe have a few meals in places that don't have english menus, then it is a great spot. you may also enjoy a trip through the khon kaen university area, depending on how old you are, as a chance to meet university students wishing to practice their english (or you looking for a chance to practice your thai).

having said that, on my last few trips i've skipped khon kaen and headed straight up to nong khai, which is one of my favorite places in thailand. the city sits right on the river, which makes for some good views. the food carts come out at night a few blocks south of the river, and you can get a good bowl of noodles or other interesting standard thai fare for not too much money. plus, it is a great place to cross into laos for the beauty of vientiane and beyond.

will you be in that general area already, or are you just putting together an itinerary for your trip? regards.

#10 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 19:13

• Advertisement

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

Yes there are many cities and villages i like. Where ? They are all located in peaceful Nakhon Nowhere my own little peace of heaven. No girly bars, no Burger Kings, beautiful cheap places to stay, great cheap Thai food, wonderful friendly Thais, no scams, no double pricing, next to no English, no English signs and white faces are very very rare. These places still exist and no they i am not telling anyone. The foreigners have enough slums to visit already and all the garbage that comes with it. Khon Kaen is not on that list.

#11 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 21:30

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

So you can't actually name any.

#12 Posted: 5/11/2013 - 19:57

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

I have numerous places i enjoy throughout Thailand. My own secret hideaways. Is that ok with you?

#13 Posted: 5/11/2013 - 21:00

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

So there's none.

#14 Posted: 5/11/2013 - 21:03

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Leonard would start a fight in a phone box.

#15 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 05:34

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@theloner "These places still exist and no they i am not telling anyone."

So what, may I ask are you doing on a travel planning website where people are looking for advice on where to go?

You truly appear to have just about nothing to contribute which is of use to new travellers (other than to warn them off pad thai and taxi drivers that may gas them of course, which I guess has a certain degree of use), but I do wonder what on earth you are doing posting here.

#16 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 06:18

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

Perhaps if you listen master somtam i might be willing to give some useful info. I have been to just about every tourist hub in Thailand , Laos, Cambodia, and Malaysia and then some. You have a tendency to shoot down everything i say. That is itself might be putting someone in danger. Sorry i don,t want the herds following me to my secret spots. as you should well know what changes when that happens and in every case as with Pai or Vang Vieng it only goes down hill from there. Don,t worry yourself too much. I am starting my own website for those seeking a nice environment unlike what you promote. Mass tourism in every last corner of Southeast Asia . Sorry to be harsh but i have not seen any useful information from you other than the same old follow the sheep routine. If you really cared about Southeast Asia its natives and the tourists that visit perhaps you could write a few pages on warnings such as taxi scams etc. while you are at it a page or two of Do's and Don'ts while traveling here since many seem to careless and it shows the moment they walk out of the airport. It is no wonder many of the Thais have come to hate foreigners and i can understand that. If you read back to other posts perhaps you might notice i have given information on areas the tourists visit. if they wish to visit Nakhon Nowhere they should have the brain power to make it there on their own. Otherwise they should just follow each other. I am not here to pick a fight with you and perhaps you could follow your partners tone which seems to be much more polite than yourself. P.S LC you are invited to my site once i get it started. I do not agree with you on some issues but at least you can express your viewpoints . I think it is up to the readers to decide what they agree with and what they don,t. not to be deleted every time someone thinks outside the herd thought. LP thorntree has turned into a sanitized and i would have to say a dangerous joke controled by a few with the mods backing. God forbid someone might disagree with them.

#17 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 07:09

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

So why are you posting here again?

#18 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 07:23

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

Read above a second time if you did not understand the first time. I have to agree with LC your getting to be a bit of a Nazi. Let the readers choose what they wish to read or write and they can choose to post a comment to agree or disagree. Post a comment about their favorite locations or post a comment why they do not agree. Believe it or not there are more than a few of us out there who think outside the box. I don,t really care for Khon Kaen big deal i prefer Petchabun City. You might try inviting a few who do not agree with mass tourism . You might be really shocked how many are willing to do anything to get away from the crowds that do the same routine over and over again. Leave a few areas untouched like the wilderness. Unless you believe every last tree needs to be cut down and replaced by a Burger King. Maybe you forgot this land is their land not yours. Many Thais would also like a few areas left alone from mass tourism and all the negative crap that comes with it. As i said if you really gave a hoot about them write a few pages about Thai customs and behaving while visiting here. Enough of Southeast Asia has been destroyed because of carelessness and greed not only by the natives but by us and our selfish i,ll do as i damn please behavior while visiting here. I beg you to do it. If you really care. Or do you?

#19 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 08:29

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

I don't get it either. This is a travel forum where people talk about destinations. Telling someone your "secret" spot will hardly make a difference to visitor numbers. I've been talking up places like Trang, Khong Chiam, Prachuap and it would have made very little if any difference. Maybe 3 or 4 people take the tip and go.

So Petchabun City is your big secret. Why was that so hard?

Backpackers on the pancake trail won't go there so no need to worry. They want fake tattoos, pad thai and banana shakes on every corner.

#20 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 08:42

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"Thai customs and behaving while visiting here."

Apart from the fmps I don't think visitors are behaving any worse than Thais. A lot of Thais are drunks, bad drivers and crooks.

Thailand has a huge amount of crime.

#21 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 08:46

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

Well LC i disagree with you . It does matter and the numbers are much higher than a few. Having said that you still have the right to express your point of view. That is unless you enjoy being deleted by what you call a Nazi.

#22 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 08:53

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Nope. I went to Prachuap and Trang in the past year. Saw 1-3 farangs a day. I bet nothing will change in the next 2 years.

Backpackers are all sheep - bangkok- cm-pai- koh pha ngan - tao - phi phi.

They rarely venture off the path.

I could mention Phayao a 1000 times and it would make no difference.

One day in Bangkok there was a festival only about 2km from KSR. Full of Thais, food, games etc. Guess how many farangs I saw? 2 The KSR sheep were too lazy or too clueless to even know about it.

So I'm not worried in the slightest about mentioning places.

They just get the boring LP guide and follow the herd.

#23 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 09:10

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

Guess you have not seen Prachuap this year. Try 30 to 50 a day now and it is changing fast. They are all coming down from Hua Hin and bringing their bar girls with them. With so little English spoken there they are helpless without them. But the good part is the foreign men are all getting taken to the cleaners since they can,t even count to one in Thai not unlike the horror stories in Pattaya. Try visiting the Lotus store there or the restaurants where they eat. At any given time there are more than a dozen at the Lotus store alone. And guess what their shopping carts are full of?

#24 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 09:23

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

I went to Prachuap a few months ago. It was 1-3 farangs a day. Very quiet. PKK is very cheap for seafood. About 20% of what they charge in horrible HH.

Awesome seafood dinner for 2 was about 230 baht. HH would be charging 1000 baht or more.

I hadn't been to HH for about 7 years and couldnt believe how busy it is now. Ridiculous busy and the hotels were all a rip off for walk in prices. They wanted 3000 baht for a room worth 1000.

I wont be staying in HH again. It's crap now.

Last time in Krabi I paid 1000 baht a night for a big room in a 4 star hotel. HH had nothing like that.

#25 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 09:28

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

http://www.stickmanbangkok.com/Reader/reader1368.htm

#26 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 09:45

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

I was just there two weeks ago and spent a week visiting some Thai friends. My wife and i made a daily count of the foreigners by motorbike and the average is now over 30. I agree the numbers used to be low there before 2006 and with each year it has been going up. You may have noticed all the new guesthouses on the beach road run by Euros with their Thai girlfriends. As i said on any given day at the Lotus store you will see at least a dozen or more. Ao Manao alone i counted over 20 on one pass. For your info the Euro women are now going topless while the Thais just stare, that never happened before. One 200 pound guy in a speedo not joking. Agree HH is a total crap hole now i gave up on that place seven years ago. and like i said the Euros are getting brave and bringing their bar girls to Prachuap it is about to become the next Hua Hin. Another beautiful place that within two years will look much like HH and already the hotel prices are going up and up. You can kiss that place goodbye soon.

#27 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 09:54

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

I went in June and it was quiet. Ao Manao very quiet and we ate 6 blue crabs for about 280 baht on the beach. No other farangs around. Some of the guesthouses north of the monkey temple looked to be closed. Saw a few small guesthouses near the pier but they were very small. I stayed at Sun Beach GH which has good balconies. Staff aren't the friendliest though and they charged 250 baht for a motorbike. Breakfast wasn't very good either. Next time I'll try somewhere else. There's a seafood restaurant a short walk north of Sun Beach that sold the best seafood. It was busy every night with locals and dirt cheap.

#28 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 10:00

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

Agree about Sun Beach not very friendly even if you speak Thai. But after looking over at a tables of foreigners with frowns that would have scared off Freddy Kruger i understood why. Sorry to tell you there are a lot more foreigners now and it ain,t pretty. Already have noticed a change in the Thais attitudes towards foreigners. Like i said promoting that place is only going to make it another copy of Hua Hin . Hua Hin has become a toilet.

#29 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 10:13

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

What Leonard said. The places at the north of the bay see more action in windy season when the kitesurfing and windsurfing get going.

I was there for a week a month or so back. Great spot, excellent food, very cheap and very few foreigners. I've been writing about Prachuap since 1995 and save a few new buildings, neither the town nor the vibe has changed significantly and Ao Manao remains a predominantly Thai locale which I'd highly recommend to anyone. People have been saying it was going to be the next Hua Hin since the late 90s, so don't hold your breath.

I did see a Thai guy get shot dead in front of the train station though -- something I never saw in seven years of living in Bangkok, nor in visits to Pattaya. Weird huh.

@theloner - counting foreigners walking past and writing them off as sexpats -- what a sad and sorry pair of glasses you view Thailand through.

#30 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 18:48

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

PKK is too far from Bangkok and with no airport it won't become the next HH. Things might change if the high speed rail goes ahead but that won't be complete until at least 2020.

The Chumphon airport is tiny and rundown with few flights and no direct connection to the rail system. Maybe in the 2020-2030 era this will all change but that's a long way off.

It's funny about the violence. I found the aura unusual. There were many very friendly people but I got the impression there were a few dodgy types about the place.

But those types are all over Thailand. Guns are way to easy to buy.

200 pounds is average for a guy who is 6 foot tall. That's not fat at all.

The heavyweights in the UFC weigh 240-260 pounds and super fit.

#31 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 19:01

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

But back to the topic - KK.

I reckon much of Issan is good to visit but best with a car. Attractions are spread out and most of the towns are sleepy and only good for a few days.

You could do a very good driving trip if you have 2-3 weeks.

#32 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 19:14

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

Sexpats and bar girls are pretty easy for Thai and many foreigners to spot . They are pretty obvious, you would have to be blind not to notice them. As far as the fast train goes its a fantasy that will never happen do to numerous reasons. They can barely keep the trains running on time that they have. If they are put in what Thai or foreigner will be able to afford them ? It will be cheaper and more easy to fly. There will likely be a coup within a year so Miss Dubai and all her fantasies will go with her. The writing is on the wall.

#33 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 21:56

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"My wife and i made a daily count of the foreigners by motorbike"

But you're also a foreigner. So do you hate yourself too?

How come you expect to be the only foreigner around?

#34 Posted: 7/11/2013 - 09:13

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Leonard - you do realise the irony of your most recent comment? Every second post of yours is a "farang"-bashing comment.

#35 Posted: 7/11/2013 - 09:18

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

No it isn't. Don't tell lies about me. You have a nasty habit of telling lies about people you don't know. You've done it with MM many times as well.

I just don't want to spend money visiting a tourist mecca where there's 10,000 tourists next to me.

Nothing wrong with 50 foreigners here or there.

#36 Posted: 7/11/2013 - 10:01

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

If there are too many tourists an area gets ruined but if they are no tourists then there can be little in the way of activities. It's good to have a balance between the two.

I don't like dead quiet spots with nothing to do nor super touristy spots.

Isn't the point of going to Thailand to experience Thai culture?

It's not about avoiding any contact with farangs but rather experiencing the local culture.

If I want to hang with 10,000 farangs I don't need to go anywhere.

Spending $1000 to fly to Thailand and hang out with farangs like you could back home makes no sense.

#37 Posted: 7/11/2013 - 10:08

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

Agree with too many foreigners as with Phuket, Chiang Mai, Pai, Koh Samui, Pattaya , Hua Hin you might as well be in Europe, Israel, or Russia. As far as nothing to do in quiet places. Can you speak Thai with the locals ? Read a book ?, Go to a remote quiet beach without bars, loud music, people trying to sell you something every few minutes, Full Moon Party, etc, etc. Take photos or another hobby you can enjoy. I find enough to do and still have time to spend with the locals and am often invited to their homes. Relaxing? If i do not find the place that interesting i just move onto the next. That is what exploring and travel is all about. Instead of spending all your time in a foreigners bar, restaurants and following other foreigners. Boring!

#38 Posted: 7/11/2013 - 10:17

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

My guess is these nasty "farangs" don't want to hang out with you either, unless they tire of sightseeing and want to relax at the circus.

#39 Posted: 7/11/2013 - 11:27

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Isn't the point of going to Thailand to experience Thai culture?

Not necessarily. I think most of us make it a point to dip into local culture when we travel, but it certainly isn't the only reason to hit the road. Some folks like to get deep into local food and culture and even try to learn the language when they travel, and that's great. But for others the fun is just being somewhere new, seeking sun and sand or good eating or cheap prices, and that's great too. Some folks like to travel completely by themselves, while others like groups. Some like to meet the locals, while others seek the shared perspective of people from their own backgrounds. All of these styles are great and none of them are wrong. More power to the folks who figure out what works for them, and no need to worry about anyone whose personal style might be different from our own.

It is also important to remember that even for those folks who never stray from the banana pancake trail, at least they strayed from the comfort zone of home. Next time they'll likely have more confidence to stretch out even more from the crowd, and the time after that, and so on.

For the record, I like banana pancakes, and have had some epic fun times hanging out with other travellers. Regards.

#40 Posted: 7/11/2013 - 13:27

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

Chinarocks: Have you seen how many of the tourists have treated the Thais ? I have and its disgusting. I guess you support that type of behavior. In that case perhaps you should stay home or if your here already do the Thais and i a big favor take your money and leave. They really do not want you type here they just tolerate you. If that is not the case, sorry. Guess you enjoy the circus. Go kick a clown.

#41 Posted: 7/11/2013 - 17:52

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

@theloner. i've seen how you treat others on this website, and it certainly isn't very nice much of the time. why not set an example by demonstrating the proper way to behave? cheers.

#42 Posted: 7/11/2013 - 18:29

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

Sorry did not mean to hurt your feelings. But perhaps you could right a page on good behavior while visiting here. Otherwise your really no different. Sugar coating does,nt get you far in this world. I tend to be to the point and respect others who do the same. Speaking from lots of experience living with the Thais and what they have expressed to me. They have really had enough of our bad behavior. Has it ever crossed your mind that perhaps they scam us, charge us more for an example is perhaps a way of getting back at us? But i will make an attempt to brown nose some of you if that makes you happy. Otherwise Good morning and best wishes from Thailand.

#43 Posted: 7/11/2013 - 19:05

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@theloner - if you'd like to make us happy, just stop posting.

Thanks

#44 Posted: 7/11/2013 - 19:50

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

right or write? your or you're?

i don't understand how you can berate an entire group of people based on the actions of just a few. but even more puzzling is how you can criticize others for not following thai behavior rules while completely ignoring your own culture rules - even when we have tried to politely point it out to you, as is our culture.

it seems unlikely that someone so unaware of their own culture qualifies as an ambassador for anyone else's. plus, you presume that you are the only person on this site you have lived and worked in thailand, who speaks thai, and who is familiar with local customs and culture. had you been around here longer, you'd realize that simply isn't the case.

also, i can count on one hand the number to times people have tried to scam me in thailand. it just isn't that big of a problem, and if it is for you, i think perhaps you may need to rethink how you interact with the thais, because this lack of sugar coating, as you call it, is out of step with the culture and may be the source of your conflict.

now, having said all this, i appreciate your offer to "brown nose" us, as you call it, or to "behave in a polite and responsible manner", as i call it, to better get along. thanks. it will make me happy. good morning to you too.

#45 Posted: 7/11/2013 - 20:37

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

Somtam . do you have something positive to add to your site besides pushing the latest guesthouse? much of your info is badly outdated and i see that you seem to delete many reviews from others that do not seem positive. Shin Sane in Mae Salong is a good example. I have spoken to a number of tourists that have had bad experiences there. That woman and her kids are down right nasty. besides over charging on the final bill. it has happen to myself and others more than once . Phitsanulok Lithai hotel another example. Do us all a favor and update these places and allow different viewpoints as to the guesthouses and hotels. exacto: many do get scammed here and seem to really hate the Thais. as i mentioned to somtam if he gave really gave a hoot he could write a nice page on travel warnings and better yet on Do's and Don'ts while visiting here. or is he afraid he might hit a nerve ? That would likely improve things greatly. as i understand many are making an effort to try and some make mistakes. Perhaps he is too busy lining his pockets with cash. While promoting some areas that are already over run with tourists and expats there is no need to cover the entire country. Leave some quiet places be. If tourists are not able to figure it out on their own perhaps they should not go.

#46 Posted: 7/11/2013 - 21:36

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Sorry I'll have to reply to your latest diatribe later as I'm too busy lining my pockets with cash at the moment.

#47 Posted: 7/11/2013 - 22:17

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

are you sure that your obvious anger issues aren't clouding your judgement? of all the posters i've met on Travelfish, you are the one who seems to have the most negative feelings about Thais and Thailand.

also, perhaps you haven't been around long enough, at least under your current screen name, to understand that there are feature articles and forum threads discussing much of what you say is lacking on the website. but if you really feel that there needs to be a Do's and Don'ts or a travel warnings article, why not grab the bull by the horns and draft up a few stories yourself as a public service? it is easy to post a useful, informative forum thread too. why not give it a try?

you'd similarly mentioned in a previous thread that you planned to open a travel website about Thailand yourself. good luck. i suspect you have NO IDEA WHATSOEVER just how much work goes into a masterpiece like Travelfish. i've been a regular contributor to this site since 2006, and the thousands of forum posts and guest house reviews and trip reports and feature articles i've contributed are barely a drop in the bucket compared to the information that is available here. it is a constant effort by an army of talented researchers and contributors to keep information up to date, and the info on this site is easily more current than any print guide book available. period.

plus, Travelfish has an obligation to screen out those reviews and those reviewers who just want to rant or have a particular score to settle because they had a bad experience at a particular place. and you can understand how Travelfish might conclude that if a particular poster has only negative things to say, that perhaps it is the poster and not the businesses that have the problem.

anyway, please be sure to keep us posted when you start up your rival website. i'm looking forward to seeing it more than you could possibly know. best wishes and keep your tin foil hat handy. cheers.

#48 Posted: 7/11/2013 - 22:41

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

theloner. Do yourself and others a favor and stop using this forum.

It's a pity you seem to lack the skills to post your grievances in a more polite way but in essence I agree with your latest comments regarding the site. What you fail to see is that these people genuinely do try to put up a good website. Accusing them of lining their pockets is way out of line (and most likely inaccurate).

I have stopped using this site partly because of the old and inaccurate information on a lot of places. Exacto's comment that TF is more current than guidebooks is sadly untrue for many places. Certainly too many to be ignored as a critical point. Seems to me they'd better take it away rather than leaving 4-5 year old information untouched.

My other issue was (and still is but I'm not really active here anymore) that while these blogs from the writers are nice reading material they tend to focus on the places where these writers are based and these are all tourist "hotspots" and automatically TF will then be perceived as a part of the normal commercial travel sources which is a shame for me. I would rather have that TF was focusing more on off the beaten-path places and experiences. But the site is also a business and they cater to demand and you can't hold that against them.

That's more or less why I stopped posting here (although I check the site from time to time). You should consider the same.

#49 Posted: 7/11/2013 - 23:33

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ok, back from lining my pockets.

On info being out of date.
    Yes I know, I've acknowledged this repeatedly over the years and it is something we continue to work towards addressing.

What eastwest says regarding this is largely the case - we strive for a mix between the more popular centres and more off the beaten track spots, but its always a balancing act and, as eastwest correctly points out, there are indeed commercial implications to concentrating our coverage (and costs) on off the beaten track destinations that few people visit. We're more up to date than guidebooks for some areas and guidebooks more up to date than us for other spots.

On deleting negative reviews
    Not the case. Your two reviews have not been published -- they were not deleted. We have plenty of negative reviews on the site -- here is a recent example.

On travel warnings etc
    You mean stuff like this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this and this? Perhaps familiarise yourself with the site before making accusations.

On us covering solely the hotspots
    Simply not the case. Some has not been updated in quite a few years, though to be honest, I doubt much would have changed since we were last there. We don't claim to cover everywhere anyways.

On me lining my pockets
    Yes I earn a living from this website -- is supports my family and pays wages to over a dozen writers spread across the region. You'll probably notice at no stage, anywhere, do we charge for anything on the site.

Regards

#50 Posted: 7/11/2013 - 23:55

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi eastwest,

nice to hear from you. not still in cambodia, are you?

i actually thought about you as i was drafting my last post and remembered your frustration about out-of-date information. on the Travelfish vs. guidebooks and the state of info issue, i can only go by my own experiences. those include spot checking the most recent guidebooks against Travelfish listings for places i visit, and conversations i've had with researchers from some of the print guidebooks out on the road. i'm not saying that all Travelfish listings are fresh as a daisy, but i do know what the research cycle is for the print guidebooks, and that the information is often 18 months to two years old before it is even published. i also know that not every listing in most print guidebooks gets updated with each revision, meaning listings could easily be 4 to 5 years old. because of that, i'd still give the edge to Travelfish, since even though some listings are long in the tooth, others are fresh as yesterday (and i really mean yesterday), which is something that a print guidebook cannot ever accomplish.

i still carry print guidebooks with me when i travel. they are great sources for telephone numbers, maps, historical information, etc., and make great reading on trains and buses and such. but the real reason i give the edge to Travelfish instead of the guidebooks is the forums, reviews, and other constantly updated information on TF. plus, if you have a specific question, there is a good chance you can get up-to-the-minute information. for example, just today, busylizzy posted news of a free shuttle to/from the mandalay airport for Air Asia BKK-Mandalay or return flights. guidebooks cannot do that, although i suppose Thorntree could have done that in the past too, but it tended to be a bit of an aggressive place to seek information.

i've always appreciated the chance to participate here, and have volunteered to collect information on lots of my trips. sometimes i got paid for the information i provided, but not very much believe me. more times than not, however, i did it because it was fun and i knew it would be useful for fellow travellers. that's the real fun here, isn't it, that we are a community all sharing information with each other.

it is funny too that you mention wishing the site would focus more on out-of-the-way places where it is more difficult to get good information. i agree, but as i understood it, theloner was complaining about just the opposite, that Travelfish should leave those places alone and focus exclusively on the more popular spots.

anyway, i miss your posts, particularly because your comments on the finance and money side of things was always so spot on and insightful. take care.

#51 Posted: 7/11/2013 - 23:56

• eastwest

Joined Travelfish
    17th December, 2009

Hi exacto,

Yes, still in Cambodia and enjoying it.
    I'm not going to reply to each point you made. In essence I agree with most of what you say. Neither do I actively use any other site since I left here. TF is the best of the bunch as far as I know. I've seen some interesting posts about money where I could have replied but honestly can't bother anymore.

As for theloner: his whole logic seems flawed and I honestly don't understand what he's trying to achieve other than making himself unpopular. But I haven't read all of his posts so can't really voice an opinion on him.

@somtam
    Seriously, from a business point of view, why don't you take out some stuff? Clearly some of it is too much to handle. My experience is that a smaller better product will always beat a bigger mediocre product. Updates for the hotels and restaurant in the main tourist areas seems to be well covered now with the writers and the majority of the readers will appreciate that. But I would take away any of that information for the less popular places if it can't be updated in time. The type of traveler that goes to those places will in general be able to sort himself out. No point in frustrating them with incorrect information (which has happened to me a few times).

all the best

#52 Posted: 8/11/2013 - 02:17

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

The Loner vs. Leonard

A fight to the death.

I would pay to see that.

#53 Posted: 8/11/2013 - 03:16

• maesantos

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2013

Hello Everyone!

I appreciate all of you for the ideas and experiences that you shared. I think I am a boring person so Khon Kaen is for me. LOL

I like to see different people (regardless of their race) as I love nature.

Have a good day everyone! And world peace. :)

Love you all.

#54 Posted: 8/11/2013 - 03:31

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

Khon Kaen might be boring but i would take it over Phuket, Pai, Chiang Mai or Koh Samui anyday. Often boring tends to keep much of the riff raff out. Just avoid the Roma Hotel and you should be fine.

#55 Posted: 8/11/2013 - 03:47

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"My guess is these nasty "farangs" don't want to hang out with you either"

I dunno, some of them try to make friends with me but I usually brush them.

#56 Posted: 9/11/2013 - 20:30

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"The Loner vs. Leonard

A fight to the death.

I would pay to see that."

Why? It would last about 1 minute. I don't wish to harm anyone though so perhaps just a friendly muay thai contest?

Or how about yourself China? You could even wear your fav skirt LOL

#57 Posted: 9/11/2013 - 20:35

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"on deleting negative reviews
    Not the case. Your two reviews have not been published -- they were not deleted. We have plenty of negative reviews on the site -- here is a recent example."

Lots of reviews don't get posted because you consider them spam when obviously they are not.

Tripadvisor is 100 times better for reviews anyway.

#58 Posted: 9/11/2013 - 20:37

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

I would have to agree ^^^^. Having said that they had glowing reports on Tony's guesthouse in Malaysia. That guy is creepy could not believe no one could see that. While my wife and i were in the room sleeping i hear someone trying to unlock the door. I get up and Tony is pushing his way in says he and his friend needs to repair the light. We packed our things and found a superior place cheaper and without the numerous riff raff staying at Tony's. " His food is so great"! No his food is crap and over priced. In case of fire he makes sure you are locked in at night so you can,t leave. Sorry its a death trap.

#59 Posted: 9/11/2013 - 21:37

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

@eastwest - apols for late reply - internet in Yangon not what is could be ;-)

In answer to your question why don't we remove stuff, I'd not really considered it as I'd prefer to have old stuff date-stamped but online rather than nothing at all. Obviously if stuff is incorrect we rely on readers letting us know -- either via the comments or dropping us an email direct. Doesn't always happen of course.

Just before I headed to Burma we put together a research plan for the entire site, so now everywhere is slotted in for either an annual or biannual revisit with some of the most out of date stuff being addressed in the coming months so hopefully this will result in out of date being less of an issue. Ask me again in six months ;-)

Cheers

#60 Posted: 9/11/2013 - 23:04

• fondo

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2006
    Total reviews: 19
    Places visited:
    At least 98

From what I remember from a previous conversation on the 'out of date' issue, the general idea is that visitors could take the time to comment and update, hence keeping the information a bit more contemporary - as somtam suggests above.

The other side of that story is, of course, that life isn't actually that hard and who really needs reviews.

As for theloner, what can you do? I've waded through all his bile on the Thorn Tree last year, so it's even less interesting second time around.

Anyway, I liked KK and PKK, but I didn't hang out at the Roma or the Sun GH - surprising choices for a culturally immersed expert from Nakhon Nowhere. So, in the end, probably just another bitter troll reporting from the barstool.

#61 Posted: 10/11/2013 - 03:49

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

My son went to university in Khon Kaen and I love the city. There are a fairly large number of Thai chess players there and they are easy to suss out. There's a TKD gym there and anyone is welcome to train there. I like the German restaraunt below the Pullman. The university quarter is vibrant and fun with lots of cheap eats. For a young tourist, the chance to socialize with young Thai students is an excellent one. My son loved it there.

#62 Posted: 10/11/2013 - 06:41

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Chess lol 99.9% of people dont fly overseas to play chess

#63 Posted: 11/11/2013 - 06:33

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

There's always that .1%

My point was really it's a city, with the things in it that a city entails. If you have a hobby or interest, there's a chance you can practice it in Khon Kaen and catch the Thai side of that hobby.

#64 Posted: 11/11/2013 - 09:05

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I think MADMAC has it exactly right. It's a city, and visitors can get a real sense of the Thai side of things by visiting. Khon Kaen, Khorat, and Ubon are all great example of that. Nothing much touristy in any of those places, but there are plenty of Thais there living their lives. There may even be salsa dancing for heaven's sake...

#65 Posted: 11/11/2013 - 20:14

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Can I have a dollar for everytime he mentions chess or salsa?

#66 Posted: 11/11/2013 - 20:47

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

None in Ubon that I know of Exacto.

#67 Posted: 11/11/2013 - 20:53

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I have the only salsa scene in Issan I am proud to say.

#68 Posted: 11/11/2013 - 21:33

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 98

it's just one more reason that Mukdahan is an important destination!

#69 Posted: 11/11/2013 - 22:45

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Bus from Khon Kaen ... By salford6 on 2 Mar 2010 3 1949 3 Mar 2010
Khon Kaen ... By LeonardCohen1 on 25 Jul 2012 8 1576 27 Jul 2012
Where is Khon Kaen? And updates? ... By Thijs on 29 Mar 2010 6 1681 30 Mar 2010
Accommodation in Khon Kaen? ... By emilygayle on 7 Mar 2010 10 2284 14 Mar 2010
khon kaen flights ... By LeonardCohen1 on 15 Jan 2014 1 470 15 Jan 2014
lao cosulate in khon kaen ... By topogene on 24 Jun 2013 7 1833 25 Jun 2013
Pullman Hotel in Khon Kaen ... By MADMAC on 13 Apr 2012 3 1717 25 Jun 2013
Living and working at Khon Kaen University ... By Tofu on 13 Mar 2013 3 2307 14 Mar 2013
Khon Kaen-Vientiane-Luang Prabang-Chiang Rai by car ... By sanooknl on 17 Jan 2012 3 1183 18 Jan 2012
Khon Kaen-Vientiane-Luang Prabang-Chiang Rai by car ... By sanooknl on 17 Jan 2012 0 1049 17 Jan 2012