Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Climbing Doi Chiang Dao without a tour?

• Agriff

Joined Travelfish
    25th September, 2013

Hey all! My partner and I are looking to climb Doi Chiang Dao at the end of next month. We've heard reports of people doing day hikes illegally without a guide but we're not interested in that. We simply want to cut back on the costs of booking a full-fledged tour through the CD nest or Malee's.

Does anyone know the right number to call to alert the mountain services that we'll be climbing? We tried one number but the person didn't speak any English.

Also, does anyone know where we could rent tents and sleeping bags? I'd be willing to- but rather not- make a trip to and fro Chiang Mai or Chiang Rai to return the equipment.

If this is way too much hassle for what it's worth then I'll probably just end up booking a tour, but I really would like to do everything on my own as we're on a tight budget.

Thanks in advance!

#1 Posted: 22/10/2013 - 11:34

• Advertisement

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Not sure on this one. A quick google brought me this report which suggests you can get around needing a guide -- I'd guess ask around in the cafes in Chiang Dao to see if you can rustle up a freelancer. Other way is to contact CDN or Malee's in advance and let them know when you want to do it -- they may be able to get other people to sign up for the same trip.

As for equipment -- obviously the joints you already mentioned will have gear, so would make sense to try them first -- I didn't see any gear shops when I was last in CD a year or so ago.

#2 Posted: 23/10/2013 - 19:45

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

I did the climb with an overnight at the summit a couple years ago. Did it with Malees and would recommend you do same. They provide tents and sleeping bags and porters at slight extra cost, and of course arrange the permit. You can do it solo but in my view the savings isn't worth it and you'll probably end up having to buy tent and sleeping bags (saw dome tents at Tesco yesterday for 299 baht) and you'll have to arrange transport to the trailhead early morning and it's pretty far from the nearest accommodation. Malee's just makes the whole thing work, and the Swiss owner Kurt is a champion walking machine and naturalist. They also have bungalows from around 400 baht for the first night which is less than half the price of CDN across the fence.

#3 Posted: 24/10/2013 - 01:34

• boleslav

Joined Travelfish
    30th August, 2009
    Total reviews: 5

we did climb the mountain in one day without any guide. Malee was able to organize a transport for us and it worked out great as we are not into much of organize things.
    somtam gave you great link to the SP post. My suggestion is to send an email to Malee and ask them to advice you.
    it was well worth it as the views were just stunning, but some peolpe like to sleep there and get a sunrise view

#4 Posted: 28/10/2013 - 19:48

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Climbing in Chiang Mai ... By Spencerh on 15 Oct 2012 0 1343 15 Oct 2012
Climbing Mt. Fansipan - reputable guide/tour package ... By shanghaimike on 24 Sep 2010 1 2627 24 Sep 2010