Thailand forum

Where should I go in Isaan?

• LillaAnna

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2013
    Places visited:
    At least 23

Hi!

I would like som advice on nice towns in Isaan. I am a big fan of Laos and love Isaan food, so it's about time I visit the region! I am planning on doing it on the way to and from Laos. My plan is to take the train to Nong Khai , go from Vientiane to Southern Laos and then take the train back to Bangkok from Ubon Rachatani.
    I'm not comfortable driving in Thailand (driving on the wrong side of the road + sometimes crazy trafic makes me nervous), so I'm mainly looking for places accesseble by train (and/or bus/taxi). Is Nong Khai nice? What about Ubon? I like places where it's easy to get in contact with the locals and where there is a smallish travellerscene.
    I will be spending 2-3 weeks on my Isaan - Laos adventure on my own, while I'm between traveling companions.

Please give me some tips on good places to eat at, stay at and visit. I'm on a flashpacker budget - I like aircon, but fan is fine, I like on suite and hot water is nice... Interested in history and food. Not into shopping... Like drinking beer, but not looking for party...

Thanks for any advice :)

Sorry for the spelling (cant seem to find my spell check function...)

#1 Posted: 28/10/2013 - 11:26

• Advertisement

• JaiYen88

Joined Travelfish
    25th April, 2012
    Total reviews: 2

Nong Khai is ok for a short visit - it's on the Mekong and there is a riverfront promenade with some bars and restaurants, but the town itself is fairly mundane but if you want to split up the journey from Bangkok to Vientiane you could easily spend a day there wandering around. Mutmee Guesthouse is quite popular and has a nice riverside restaurant / bar area, and they can give you information on things to see / do in the area. http://www.mutmee.com/

There is also the Buddha sculpture park which is worth a visit if you've never seen one of these before. http://wikitravel.org/en/Nong_Khai#See

#2 Posted: 28/10/2013 - 13:18

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

I really enjoy the stretch of the Mekong between Chiang Khan and Nong Khai . Thing is, if you wanted to do that stretch you'd probably have to do a bit of backtracking to get back to Nong Khai and then over to Laos. But, in my opinion, it would be worth it.

You could take a bus from Bangkok to Loei from Morchit Station, then work your way up to Chiang Khan by bus or Songthaew, then eastward along the Mekong with a stop in Sangkhom (Buoy Bungalow), then on to Nong Khai. It's pretty easy, but not as easy as just taking the train to Nong Khai.

I really like Nong Khai. It's grown quite a lot over the years, but it's still a nice, pretty laid back place with some good, inexpensive spots to stay in and some really good places to eat.

Really enjoyed Champassak and Wat Phu.

Before heading back to Bangkok from Ubon, you might want to make a stop in Khong Chiam. Lovely, quiet spot that's not much visited by westerners.

Ubon is okay. Down around the river and Tung Si Muang Park, it's fairly quiet. There's a decent night market near Tung Si Muang Park, and the park is a great place to stroll around in at nighttime. Seems like half the city congregates there to play football, dance, do aerobics, play volleyball, and walk walk walk. There are some decent coffee shops in that area, as well as a couple of interesting temples.

Don't stay in Chong Mek.

All these places are reachable by bus/songthaew.

#3 Posted: 28/10/2013 - 13:31

• LillaAnna

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2013
    Places visited:
    At least 23

Thanks for your input guys!

Might try that detour along the Mekong. Sounds good, even thou I prefer the train :))

I think I will visit the sculpture park - I liked the one in Vientiane.

Keep the advice comming!

#4 Posted: 28/10/2013 - 14:12

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Wat Kaew Ku is worth seeing, especially later in the afternoon when the sun starts to drop.

It's a good town to ride a bike in, as well. The town runs quite far along the river, and there is some very nice riding on the outskirts of town, especially east. Traffic isn't bad, and it's always nice to have your own transport. Wat Kaew Ku is walkable, but much easier to ride to.

For your budget, you should consider staying in this place ... http://www.baanmaerimnam.com/

It's often full, so you may want to make a reservation if you decide to go there.

#5 Posted: 28/10/2013 - 15:10

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

Agree with above-that part along Maekong was ''see Laos'' before one could enter there-guess how long ago that was.
    For the rest: frankly, there are hardly any towns that qualify for what you describe. There is hardly any ''traveller'' scene at all. There is a big scene in some places of elder farang married to their Thai wifes-sometimes enough for whole gated new housing areas. IF there is a like travel-scene-there will be the tipical Guesthouse (and not just a Thai Hotel)-places are limited to Surin, and That Phanom-about halfway on the river between NKhai and Ubon-hope that lovely lady Niyana still runs it.,
    About any Isan town is an all the same collection of what you see anywhere in TH- its just a local wat that may attract some interest. About the only town (currently flooded) with some historiuc interest is Phimai-just 50/60 kms NE of KHorat. or the ''2 colour rivers wonder'' of Kong Seeyam-east of Ubon, but on the way into laos.
    BTW" how you describe your trip is hardly any Isan part in it. And the trip in Laos on that side will hardly be any more interesting-best done in some nitebus VTE-Pakse, or maybe Savannakhet. If youre so hellbound on those always late trains (make you feel like a fruitshake next morning), get off at Udon -bus to Loei and do that trip-or reverse ex NKhai. But in TH it hardly makes any sense to do train+Bus combo-take a much faster and easy (not that nasty advance booking) direct bus. ANY major and most minor and even many tiny Isan towns have direct nitebus to BKK. Big cities like Udon or Khon Khaen even ev. 30 mins. all day.

#6 Posted: 29/10/2013 - 03:48

• LillaAnna

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2013
    Places visited:
    At least 23

Yes I might take the bus instead, they are faster and more convenient i know. But I really like the night trains. I find the 2:nd class sleepers comfy and good value for money. I dont mind the crazy rocking....Just always loved trains :)

I dont really care about the lack of Travelers, it's just when you travel alone it's nice to meet someone now and again that you can have an actual conversation with... My Thai is mainly made up of numbers, names of food and animals and the usual polite frases and it's not to often that you meet thai people who are fluent in English.

I feel quite comfortable with my plans for Laos, it is what it is "Bopiniang" or who ever you would write it :)
    First time in Laos for me was in 1995 - at that time it was still very exotic. I absolutly loved my 5 weeks mainly spent in the Vientiane area, with a few days in Luang Prabang (you had to fly in to LP as bandist/anti comunist guerillas were atacking people traveling on the road). Did not go back until last Winter - a lot had changed and a lot was still the same!

#7 Posted: 29/10/2013 - 10:35

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 50
    Places visited:
    At least 43

First off - I'm really happy with this OP and the following comments. It is too bad you are not going through Mukdahan on your way back through because if Madmac is in a good spirits he can be a great host. Your Isaan trip seems primarily a southern Laos experience and with what you've said I too would suggest Champassak and Wat Phu as a great destination. If you plan to spend some time in Pakse during this journey I'd tell any friend to stay at Sedone River Guesthouse (http://www.travelfish.org/accommodation_profile/laos/southern_laos/champasak/pakse/all/1659) and make sure to hit the Mekong riverside after sunset for some enjoyable eating spots. I'm not sure what you'll think of 4,000 Islands from what you've said, and if you enjoy driving a 200-220cc motorbike then a trip to Tad Lo and Pak Song are very much in order. I hope you enjoy your trip, one of my favorite locations in the world.

#8 Posted: 29/10/2013 - 12:26

• LillaAnna

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2013
    Places visited:
    At least 23

Hmmm. There is nothing stopping me from taking the bus back to Savannaketh and go back via Mukdahan . Mukdahan seems nicer than Ubon....
    Your suggestions for Laos are pretty much what I am planning. I am thinking of renting a motorbike, the driving on the right side of the road and slower trafic make it totally doable for me :)
    You are right in thinking that I plan on spending more time in Laos than in Isaan. I'm thinking 12 days + 6 days, but that might change depending on when my mother (traveling companion for my last 2 weeks i SEA) dicedes to show up :).

#9 Posted: 29/10/2013 - 13:35

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

For me the smaller towns along the mekong were better than the bigger places - the route bewteen Loei and Nong khai is nice and you could spend 4 days doing that. Whether the trade off of back tracking and going to Mukdahan rather than Ubon is a good idea i am not sure - it may be a bit nicer but I am not sure I would recommend it as a destination (I would say spend more time between Loei and NK and then catch the train back from Ubon which is a pleasant enough place to spend a day in

#10 Posted: 31/10/2013 - 07:51

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Mukdahan doesn't have anything much to see. Unless you want to dance with Madmac. Khong Chiam is great for a couple of days with twin rivers and rock art and weird rock formations. Nice little village there. Ubon town is decent as well. Nice temples there.

#11 Posted: 31/10/2013 - 11:43

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I'll be here if you decide to come through. That Phanom is not far... it's worth seeing.

#12 Posted: 10/11/2013 - 10:03

• LillaAnna

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2013
    Places visited:
    At least 23

I don't know why, but the Mukdahan area seems interesting to me. It is very difficult to bore me as I find so many things interesting. It turns out that I will have almost 4 weeks to my self , so I can spend more time in Isaan if I like it :)
    You guys who know Everything ;) If I wanted to go by buss to Trat, what town (in Isaan) would be the best to go from? Are there any direct busses?

#13 Posted: 10/11/2013 - 11:11

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Maybe a direct bus from Ubon. Everyone I know who's been to Trat gives it a thumbs up.

I live in Muk. So if you steer me towards you interests, I can give you the specifics.

#14 Posted: 10/11/2013 - 12:00

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom

Not sure about direct buses to Trat but you may have to aim for places like Buriram, Sa Kaeo, and Chantburi and change buses if nothing direct

#15 Posted: 11/11/2013 - 05:21

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

If you come through Ubon, use the busses or taxis. The tuks are rip-offs. The number 3 pink bus will take you from the bus station in the north to Big C south of Warin. The train station is in the middle of Warin. The busses kind of hang around the market for a little bit and it's about 3 blocks from there. I'm not for sure but I don't think we have any sleeper trains from here. Bus or train, its going to take 8 hours to get to Bangkok. If you get hung up, there's live music bars out by the Big C on the north end, and the lake area on the east side. There are other foreigners here but we seem to be spread out. No gated housing districts that I know of. The Tokyo Hotel is nice, Padaeng Mansion is great and a new one, the Inside Out is good with a restaurant/bar. It's ran by a young american and his wife. Very nice people.

#16 Posted: 11/11/2013 - 20:36

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013
    Total reviews: 3

Yea whats up with the gated forts? Foreigners afraid the Thais might invade and kill them ? A huge group from Sweden has a fort in the south. When they are outside their fortress they looked freaked. Perhaps better they stay back home. They can barely speak English and zero Thai. What are they doing here, if they are so dammed uncomfortable ?

#17 Posted: 11/11/2013 - 20:55

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Gated Forts! I like that.

Most guys here don't have that issue, but we have one (to be fair, instigated by his Thai wife who sees a thief / rapist on every corner) who has an external wall and then surrounding the house an internal fence that I think is topped with razor wire - and a dog.

#18 Posted: 11/11/2013 - 21:28

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

Yea whats up with the gated forts? Foreigners afraid the Thais might invade and kill them ? A huge group from Sweden has a fort in the south. When they are outside their fortress they looked freaked. Perhaps better they stay back home. They can barely speak English and zero Thai. What are they doing here, if they are so dammed uncomfortable ?

Isn't this post from the same guy who is afraid to take a taxi from the airport for fear of getting ripped off? You crack me up! By the way, how's your Swedish?

#19 Posted: 11/11/2013 - 22:42

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

Not afraid of the dodgy taxis just smart enough to avoid the airport clowns. Swedish not good neither is my German. But since they are over running Thailand maybe i should learn since many are unable to even speak English. but a coup is coming soon and more than half will freak and leave. Good for the Thais and good for those willing to make a small effort and behave. I don,t think that is asking much since we are all guests here. is it ? or do you you believe otherwise exacto where is your Do's and Dont's page ? Or do you have any idea where to start ? Peace bro go drink and beer and calm down.

#20 Posted: 11/11/2013 - 23:43

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Exacto is about as calm as they come Loner... You're new here, perhaps tread a touch more softely?

In the event, expats here come in all shapes and sizes. Some are really good guys, some are idiots. no magic forumula.

#21 Posted: 12/11/2013 - 02:53

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

Madmac you sound ok in my book. but think the idiots sadly out number the ok guys. the magic pill is for the government to make visas much more difficult instead of handing them out like candy. It tends to invite a lot of trouble and in the end it reflects on all of us. Can only hope that once the military is back in power things might improve a tiny bit. She is toast.

#22 Posted: 12/11/2013 - 04:36

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom

neosho :NO sleeper trains from Ubon?? Of course there are

#23 Posted: 12/11/2013 - 05:12

• LillaAnna

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2013
    Places visited:
    At least 23

Hi

Spot on Loner! I am actually Swedish :) And I will spend a week in Hua Hin at my inlaws place before I go to Isaan and Laos (and then to Trat and Ko Chang). I would not say that my inlaws live in a fortress, but there is a gate att the beginning of the "street". There are 7 houses on the street and in one of the houses live a couple that exactly fits your description of "the Sweds". They are afraid of everything! They spend the evenings inside their house for fear of moscitoes :) My fatherinlaw has seen them kill lissard - screeming with fear and anger that they have found their way into the garden :( They totally freak out if you leave the gate open...They never ever go for walks as they are terrified of the dogs. They hardly ever eat out - to much strange food.... Noone understands why they spend 6 months of the year in a country that frightens them so much. Our theory is that they like being scared, as it gives them an exuse to be angry. Well they provide entertainment for my inlaws and the other people in the street.

I know there are trains and busses to Bangkok. I was just wandering about Trat. Was planning on spending a day or two there before visiting a friend on Ko Chang.

Thanks for all the great info by the way!

#24 Posted: 12/11/2013 - 06:40

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Loner
    I actually don't think the number of morons is that big. They're just more visible. BUT, I caveat that with my experience in Muk, where the number of expats is quite small - hence small sample size. I have one close expat friend here, and a couple of expat associates. Most of my good friends are Thai - which I guess shouldn't be surprising since this is Thailand.

#25 Posted: 12/11/2013 - 06:51

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

...good for those willing to make a small effort and behave. I don,t think that is asking much since we are all guests here. is it ?

yes, i agree. that's just as true for visitors to a country as it is for visitors to a website. i agree that visitors should make a small effort and behave. that isn't asking too much at all.

#26 Posted: 12/11/2013 - 06:59

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

thanks Lillanna for your report on the Sweds. Believe it or not my mothers side of the family is from Sweden. There is a very large fortress in southern Thailand that is well known by the Thais. They speak very little English and zero Thai. They rarely if ever leave and when they do they are always seen in groups of twenty or more. Make no attempt to learn Thai, eat Thai food etc. The same can be said for many from Europe that have lived here for years and then wonder why they are getting taken advantage of at many shops and by their so called Thai girlfriends. (bar girls massage girls) In the nearly sixteen years i have lived here i can think of less than a dozen foreigners i have seen eating in a real Thai restaurant. Sometimes with their bar girls but even than very rare. In the last three months i have seen zero. i learned to speak the basics before i arrived as a tourist on my first trip. To Madmac most of my friends are Thai also. I have one long time foreign friend in Bangkok. I moved here to live with the Thais ,eat Thai food and do my best to fit in and follow the rules. It just isn,t that hard. If more would make a small effort the foreigners here would have a far better reputation which sadly many don,t and i can understand why.

#27 Posted: 12/11/2013 - 07:31

• LillaAnna

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2013
    Places visited:
    At least 23

Where is this fortress? Maybe I should recomend it to the nighbours?
    In my experiense the problem is not Sweeds in general being rude or frightend or ignorant. It's more of a generation thing. The Baby Boomers of the west are usually not very well mannered. It's up to us younger and/or more polite people to help them understand about the dos and donts. They are old and have lived a safe and privilaged life. Most of them meen no harm - they just dont know any better!

What dance do you do MADMAC?

#28 Posted: 12/11/2013 - 07:52

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I am a salsero little sister. And I teach in Mukdahan and Bangkok. Mostly Mukdahan.

#29 Posted: 12/11/2013 - 10:36

• LillaAnna

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2013
    Places visited:
    At least 23

Ah pitty! I was hoping for Lindy Hop :)

#30 Posted: 12/11/2013 - 11:50

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

A place called Ban Huay Yang in the south is one of many examples. I would say it is more than just the baby boomers that have caused many of the problems here. Don,t forget the gap year idiots who have ruined places like Pai, Vang Vieng in Laos, Khao San Road the list is long. i have seen too many bad examples over the years from sex tourists grabbing at women, round the clock drunks (alcoholics) that seem to be in the thousands maybe even millions, Euros walking around half naked on main street, now becoming more common even in Bangkok , have seen more than one girl in a bikini at 8 in the morning, Germans pounding on tables demanding "I want my toast right now",women topless or even naked on the beaches, having sex on the beach i just watched the other day while a bus load of students was unloading from the bus the list is long and the Thais and Lao are getting sick of them. It is plain old common sense and many who really just don,t give a damn. Lets not forget many here are criminals on the run here. The bottom line is the Thai and Lao government has to wake up to the fact that is not helping their country leaving the door wide open for every idiot to wander in. And it is getting worse every year. Take a look at Bhutan or even Malaysia far fewer very low class tourists and expats.

#31 Posted: 12/11/2013 - 17:51

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Look at Volvos. World's safest cars and most boring.

Not sure it's the visa rules that attracts the unsavoury people but rather the mai pen rai attitude and whole bargirl scene. Malaysia has a more generous visa scheme - most farangs can go to Malaysia for 90 days without a visa compared to only 30 for Thailand but Malaysia being a muslim country is a lot more strict.

If Thais want to clean up Thailand then need to do something about all the bargirls. Pretty silly having a no prostitution law if you're not going to enforce it.

But the police and lawmakers prob use the bargirls themselves so nothing will change.

#32 Posted: 12/11/2013 - 18:40

• neosho

Joined Travelfish
    13th August, 2008

amnicoll.....I said I wasn't for sure. But thanks for the clarification. Now I know for sure too.

#33 Posted: 12/11/2013 - 19:30

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"women topless or even naked on the beaches"

This doesn't sound like a problem to me. I'd put this in the plus category.

"The bottom line is the Thai and Lao government has to wake up to the fact that is not helping their country leaving the door wide open for every idiot to wander in."

This is not your problem is it? This is up to those governments to decide. Thailand makes HUGE money off of tourism. It's a major industry. Those louts you are so contemptuous of come here and drop 100 bucks or more a day. Almost all of the expats I know who live here who are not school teachers have incomes in excess of 75,000 baht. That money is being dumped every month into the local economy.

"And it is getting worse every year. Take a look at Bhutan or even Malaysia far fewer very low class tourists and expats."

Malaysia is much more uptight than Thailand. It caters to a different kind of tourist. Muslim tourists like Malaysia. It has a certain appeal to the family tourist set. Thailand is more popular with the backpacker, party and beach tourist set. It is what it is. Railing against it is a collosal waste of time.

Bhutan - Bhutan is one of the most insular countries this side of North Korea. Not a shining example of mass tourism.

#34 Posted: 12/11/2013 - 22:19

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013

Agree cleaning up the bar girls, the bars and tossing out the sex tourists would greatly improve things. Malaysia beats Thailand hands down in many ways. Far fewer if any sex tourists (alcoholics) and their tramp stamp girls. Far fewer neo hippies, gap year punks, half naked women or topless, No gangs from Israel, few if any dogs etc, etc. I notice a big difference in the over all vibe the moment you cross the border. Agree the cops and the government guys often use the bar girls. So don,t see any changes coming any time soon. Ever notice how much more polite and better dressed the girls working in the Thai bars are ? Or for that fact the Thai men. The foreign sex tourists make my skin crawl. Heading for Issan soon. To another Nakhon Nowhere location.

#35 Posted: 12/11/2013 - 22:29

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Agree cleaning up the bar girls, the bars and tossing out the sex tourists would greatly improve things."

90% of all Thai men use prostitutes at some point. Those with money do so reguarlarly (for the most part). It's an organic part of the culture and has been for at least 150 years. It ain't going away. The sex tourists bring in serious revenues that are funneled directly to the poorest elements of society here. Some bar girls piss it away, others make huge improvements in their lives and those of their families. It ain't for us to judge. Again, it is what it is. It isn't going to change.

"Malaysia beats Thailand hands down in many ways."

And Thailand beats Malaysia in many ways. Thailand is more free than Malaysia. I have the financial resources to live pretty much anywhere I want within reason (OK, not Tokyo or NYC) and chose to live in Thailand for some very good reasons.

"Far fewer if any sex tourists (alcoholics) and their tramp stamp girls. "

The Malay men all make their way to Hat Yai.

"I notice a big difference in the over all vibe the moment you cross the border."

Yeah and that different vibe is one of oppression.

"Ever notice how much more polite and better dressed the girls working in the Thai bars are ? "

The game is the same. The rules and approach are different. But same game.

"The foreign sex tourists make my skin crawl."

Then don't hang out with them. It's a free country, and they are easy to avoid. They are all congregated in some fairly narrow areas. Most, by far, can't speak Thai, so they aren't going to places where English doesn't cut it. Take a chill pill and learn to live and let live.

#36 Posted: 12/11/2013 - 23:00

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Malaysia is not the oppressed, religious world you guys are speaking about. Maybe a Westerner would find it hard to live there, but for a typical tourist passing through there for 3 weeks he or she will find almost no restrictions on their lifestyle choices. Aside from being an amazing city with regards to food, architecture, friendly people and culture, Penang also has a seedy side. I didn't check out the local brazzer scene but wouldn't be surprised to hear there was a thriving one. Needless to say, alcohol is universally available at all times of the day and week.

Similarly with KL and so on and so forth. Sure some of the people wear headscarves and go to mosques but the Malaysia I saw was closer to Thailand, Spain or America than Pakistan or Saudi Arabia.

#37 Posted: 13/11/2013 - 03:03

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

KL is a dead boring city. It's worse than Singapore.

#38 Posted: 13/11/2013 - 08:22

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

It's not hugly interesting granted but it is relaxing, with some nice food and friendly people. Some very good clothes markets as well.

We also stayed in one of the best hostels I have ever stayed in (yes I know hostels are rare in SE Asia) - I think it was called the Bob Marley hostel (or something to that effect).

#39 Posted: 13/11/2013 - 08:49

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

i stayed in China town in some 3 star hotel. checked in had a shower and got out only to find no towels. had to wait 10 mins before the staff arived with some. next 2 days walked around the city and didn't think much of it. never again. id just fly onto somewhere else more interesting.

People talk up Penang but I've never been. It would want to be a lot better than KL.

#40 Posted: 13/11/2013 - 09:54

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Compared to Thailand, Malaysia is downright puritan. Why do you think all the Malay guys go to Hat Yai? For the "Thai culture"???

I would like to go to Penang to dance... but for living, Thailand has it all over Malaysia, if reporting has it right.

#41 Posted: 13/11/2013 - 10:18

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Penang is a lot better than KL, but the attraction is not instantly obvious. It is filthy and run down in parts. Nonetheless it works, and works very well. Would return in a heartbeat.

Food, architecture, melting pot of cultures and friendly people would be its strong points.

#42 Posted: 13/11/2013 - 10:21

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

"checked in had a shower and got out only to find no towels. had to wait 10 mins before the staff arived with some."

I think that's called a first world problem. Poor Leonard.

"for living, Thailand has it all over Malaysia, if reporting has it right."

Come on, as you often say, this is all about opinions. Malaysia is a Muslim country in name only. I would say it's a great place to live - English is an official language for a start (well I'm pretty sure it is anyway). No seedy Brits going around with 16 year old girls on their arms either. But hey, I have never lived in Asia so maybe I'm not the best qualified to speak.

#43 Posted: 13/11/2013 - 11:14

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

While certanly Islam is toned down in Malaysia, it is still a strong influence there. Thailand would certainly appear to be better disposed toward western values and has a more live and let live kind of ethos. The very elements of Thailand that people like Loner rail against, are part of it's charm.

#44 Posted: 13/11/2013 - 11:46

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"I think that's called a first world problem."

It's the first time it's happened to me. Not fun standing around wet in a room for 10 mins not able to sit down

#45 Posted: 13/11/2013 - 20:30

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

The only great thing about living in Malaysia would be it's close to Thailand.

#46 Posted: 13/11/2013 - 20:33

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"It's the first time it's happened to me. Not fun standing around wet in a room for 10 mins not able to sit down"

Leonard aren't you a combat veteran? When I was in Desert Shield / Storm I spent two months in that shitty ass Saudi desert without a shower. Tried bathing with bottled water, not much success. Lived like an animal, shitting in a hole in the ground... Some on now. Waiting for towels for ten minutes... small potatoes.

#47 Posted: 13/11/2013 - 21:58

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

No big deal, just lousy service. I paid for the room, pretty sure your accomodation was free and u were getting paid to **** in a hole.

#48 Posted: 14/11/2013 - 04:10

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

I was ranting on twitter recently about this.

Out of shower, realized no towel ( and I had none) so three choices (other than drip dry) pillow case, top sheet or curtain.

Preferences?

#49 Posted: 14/11/2013 - 05:36

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

When I saw you had posted on this thread I thought you were blocking it off again!

Curtain because the other two could still be damp when you go to bed later on. You could also try rolling around on the carpet.

#50 Posted: 14/11/2013 - 05:49

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Ha ha. No it's so freaking cold here I'm just typing to keep warm -- but I guess you're used to this kind of climate.

I will close it though as this is far gone.

If someone wants to start a new Malaysia Vs Thailand one, feel free -- or a new highlights of Thailand's northeast for that matter.

Yours in shivering.

#51 Posted: 14/11/2013 - 06:56

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

This post has been locked by the moderator.