Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand - packing advice

• mikefly

Joined Travelfish
    19th May, 2013

Hi,

We're leaving in 10 days!! for a month in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Siem Reap, Krabi, Khao Sok, Khao Lak and Hong Kong.
    Nothing will be too hardcore, as we have a baby with us - so no 4 (or even 2) day hikes, etc. etc.
    Day trips are on the agenda, and lots of walking is the plan.

Can I get away with taking only a pair of Keen Newport sandals? - i.e. no hiking shoes/boots.

Aside from Khao Sok, is there anywhere a rain jacket would prove useful, or will it just be too damn hot?
    If it's only for 2 days of the trip, I'd rather use something low quality and disposable.

I am planning to pack jeans and a hoodie for plane rides. Will these be useful anywhere else on the trip?

Thanks (yet again),
    Mike

#1 Posted: 29/10/2013 - 21:45

• Advertisement

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi Mike,
    You're unlikely to get much cold weather, but it never hurts to have something warmer available for over-powered aircon buses, etc. Another good thing about hot weather is you'll dry quickly if you do get wet, so I wouldn't worry too much about a rain jacket.

With regards to the shoes, it depends on what you plan on doing on your day trips. If you're planning on doing day hikes in the jungle/forest, something that offers a bit more protection to your toes might be good. But if you're mostly planning on walking about cities/beaches/parks, sandals should be fine, so long as they'll stay comfy when wet.

Hope that helps

#2 Posted: 30/10/2013 - 01:34

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013
    Total reviews: 3

Lots of t-shirts, blue jeans are fine, and or long thin cotton pants, cheap plastic poncho that goes past your knees, thin socks for bugs at night or the bus, a warm shirt, a thin cotton hat. Other than that do your research about Thai customs do's and don'ts, scams , and bring a good book. Should be enough for a short stay.

#3 Posted: 30/10/2013 - 22:59

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

sandles are fine but I would suggest wearing them in for a few days before you travel if you are like me and get blisters and then allow the skin to harden over

I doubt you would need a hoodie for the plane and I would recommend you have a pair of light trousers with decent pockets which zip or button that you can wear at night if you do not want to wear shorts and are light

#4 Posted: 31/10/2013 - 07:39

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Advice on packing ... By emma066 on 25 Jan 2010 3 6414 15 Apr 2010