Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Thailand - packing advice

Posted by mikefly on 29/10/2013 at 21:45

Hi,

We're leaving in 10 days!! for a month in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Siem Reap, Krabi, Khao Sok, Khao Lak and Hong Kong.
Nothing will be too hardcore, as we have a baby with us - so no 4 (or even 2) day hikes, etc. etc.
Day trips are on the agenda, and lots of walking is the plan.

Can I get away with taking only a pair of Keen Newport sandals? - i.e. no hiking shoes/boots.

Aside from Khao Sok, is there anywhere a rain jacket would prove useful, or will it just be too damn hot?
If it's only for 2 days of the trip, I'd rather use something low quality and disposable.

I am planning to pack jeans and a hoodie for plane rides. Will these be useful anywhere else on the trip?

Thanks (yet again),
Mike

#1 mikefly has been a member since 19/5/2013. Posts: 19

Posted by antoniamitchell on 30/10/2013 at 01:34

Hi Mike,
You're unlikely to get much cold weather, but it never hurts to have something warmer available for over-powered aircon buses, etc. Another good thing about hot weather is you'll dry quickly if you do get wet, so I wouldn't worry too much about a rain jacket.

With regards to the shoes, it depends on what you plan on doing on your day trips. If you're planning on doing day hikes in the jungle/forest, something that offers a bit more protection to your toes might be good. But if you're mostly planning on walking about cities/beaches/parks, sandals should be fine, so long as they'll stay comfy when wet.

Hope that helps

#2 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 459
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter   Pinterest 

Posted by theloner on 30/10/2013 at 22:59

Lots of t-shirts, blue jeans are fine, and or long thin cotton pants, cheap plastic poncho that goes past your knees, thin socks for bugs at night or the bus, a warm shirt, a thin cotton hat. Other than that do your research about Thai customs do's and don'ts, scams , and bring a good book. Should be enough for a short stay.

#3 theloner has been a member since 7/10/2013. Posts: 116

Posted by amnicoll on 31/10/2013 at 07:39

sandles are fine but I would suggest wearing them in for a few days before you travel if you are like me and get blisters and then allow the skin to harden over

I doubt you would need a hoodie for the plane and I would recommend you have a pair of light trousers with decent pockets which zip or button that you can wear at night if you do not want to wear shorts and are light

#4 amnicoll has been a member since 10/1/2005. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 616

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.