Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Khao Sok and itinerary help

• marianaamc

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2013

Hi everyone,
    I'm portuguese and I'll be traveling to Thailand in August and will catch a flight from airasia to krabi from bangkok 28 August.
    I was reading a lot in travelfish about the khao sok np, it's a huge help this site planning every little part of my upcoming trip!

My ideia was:

1. Get up very early (will I be able to rent a car very early?) and drive from krabi to the lake pier.

2. I would try to do a boat ride that would leave me in the raft house booked through the dnp.go.th (will the rainy season be a problem if it starts to rain? like water getting through the roof in the rafthouse?) but just after a tour on the lake!

3.Spend the night there and get up early to see the sunrise, have breakfast and leave.

4. On the ride back to krabi i was thinking about passing through maybe phang nga bay. (do you guys have an idea of how i should take advantage of the car to sightseeing?)

I'm doing this so I can save some money since I think the tours are expensive. If this is too hard I might just don't go at all... I will be on budget so I can travel through Laos on to Siem Reap and leave. But Khao Sok just looks truly stunning...

#1 Posted: 30/10/2013 - 14:51

• Advertisement

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Do you have a few days? If so a cheaper way would be to take minibus to Khao Sok(leaves Krabi daily). Do a lake tour and then take minibus back to Krabi the next day. You can do all this for likely what it would cost you just for the car rental alone.

#2 Posted: 30/10/2013 - 17:28

• marianaamc

Joined Travelfish
    30th October, 2013

I might do that. That would take two days, right? The lake tour is the overnight one, that would cost me probably 2500baht pp correct?
    About the rainy season, do you think the tour will be available?
    Thanks Geer1!

#3 Posted: 30/10/2013 - 18:21

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Would take 1 part day to get there, then 2 days for the tour and 1 part day to return back to Krabi. Should be able to book lake tour for 2500 baht, note you will also have to pay 200 baht entry fee at the lake. Your first and last night at the park will need to stay at a place by the park, 300-400 baht should cover that though. I recommend Smiley bungalows, they have their own rafthouses and did a good job when I took the tour with them. Their brick bungalows are nice as well.

Rainy season the tours are still available, you just might not be able to go into the cave. Imo you aren't missing that much if that is the case though. If it rained lots it could put a damper on things but that is just luck of the draw as no one can predict weather.

#4 Posted: 30/10/2013 - 20:36

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Help Itinerary Andaman: Khao Sok, Khao Lak, Krabi 10 days (& pregnant) ... By hello02 on 10 Sep 2014 1 443 11 Sep 2014