Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Transport from BKK to Silom Area

• adbeats06

Joined Travelfish
    22nd October, 2013
    Location Canada

Hello,

Can someone please recommend a taxi company that I can get from BKK airport to take me to the Silom area? I've been reading a lot about different types of transportation, and which taxi's not to get (metered vs non metered etc)....I'm a solo female traveler flying in around 1 am, and feeling unsure what I should do about this.

Are metered cabs better? Is it true I should expect to pay 400-500 baht from the airport to silom?

Thanks for your help!

#1 Posted: 31/10/2013 - 21:50

• Advertisement

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Just walk to the taxi stand and order a metered taxi. Probably end up around 400 baht.

All this hullabaloo about metered taxis is far less of an issue then getting ripped off or robbed by a non metered taxi.

Or depending on when you arrive and if you have time to kill could take airport rail link and then either mrt or skytrains. Only cost around 70 baht this way, just take a little longer and require a little more walking.

#2 Posted: 31/10/2013 - 22:25

• theloner

Joined Travelfish
    7th October, 2013
    Total reviews: 3

400 baht ! try less than 300 even 250. But if i was her i would just sleep in the safety of the airport until the first train in the morning 6 am ? maybe. 70 baht and a lot less hassle than dealing with the dodgy airport taxi mafia . Many Thai women avoid them late at night for good reason. 1 or 2 am is not a good time to be in a very foreign place you have never been to.

#3 Posted: 31/10/2013 - 23:25

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

make sure if you get a taxi you get and keep the reciept from the airport in case of problems

First train in the morning is due at 03.29 but unlikely to be on time

#4 Posted: 1/11/2013 - 08:32

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Geer1 is right. Just get a metered taxi from the Public Taxi Stand or Meter Public Taxi Stand or whatever it's called. Don't go to the Limo stand. Head downstairs on the moving sidewalks and you'll eventually see the big sign. If not, just ask. There are people all over the place who will point you in the right direction.

It will probably be less than B400 as there will be very little traffic at that time of the night/morning. Your driver may want to take the thruway and that will require the payment of two different tolls. I think one is B40 and the other is B30, or something like that, and you may be asked to pay so have some small bills available. If you want to know ahead of time, ask the person working at the desk of the taxi stand at the airport and he or she will tell you everything you need to know. And unless it's gone up since February, you'll have to pay a B50 surcharge. That's about $1.75 CDN.

Do yourself a favour and arrive with the name and address of the place where you're going to stay in Silom. If the place has a website, often you can print off the name, address and directions in Thai.

You'll be given a receipt with the cab number and the address to where you're heading. It may even have the name of the driver. If your place isn't at the end of a skinny alleyway, you'll probably be dropped off at the front door within 30-40 minutes. Then you pay the meter. If you're happy with the trip, tips are always appreciated. I usually round up to then nearest B50 or B100. These drivers work like dogs and make very little on fares.

Have fun.

#5 Posted: 1/11/2013 - 13:16

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

I missed the 1 am mention in my original post. Taxi is definitely the way to go. Might be 250-300 baht before airport surcharge and tolls(if takes that route, probably not needed but driver will probably ask) so more likely is somewhere in the 300-400 baht range. Peanuts when you consider the distance travelled, would be a $40 ride back home.

Tilapia makes a good point, print off the directions in Thai. I arrived somewhat similarly and only had an english directions and the map wasn't to scale which led to a little bit of fun finding the guesthouse.

#6 Posted: 1/11/2013 - 16:58

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Just to clarify, all Bangkok taxis have meters. The issue is that drivers sometimes don't want to turn the meter on, instead asking travelers to pay a flat price that they come up with. Just make sure to tell the driver to turn on the meter. Everything else you need to know is in Tilapia's post.

#7 Posted: 2/11/2013 - 02:07

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.