Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Sukhothai to Don Muang Airport

• Madara

Joined Travelfish
    3rd November, 2013
    Total reviews: 4

Hello!
    I am trying to find the easiest way to get to Don Muang when coming back from Sukhothai.
    I read on LP that there is a bus from Ayutthaya to Bangkok, which stops at Don Muang (I have to be at the airport at about 8 am). Can someone give me some details or pointers on this, please?
    Thank you!

#1 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 00:26

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Just get a bus back to Bangkok then taxi it to the airport. That's the easiest way. 8am means you should overnight in Bangkok.Just pick a hotel near Victory monument. Only 20 min cab ride from there.Saxophone pub is a good place for a drink or 2 the night before. Heck i'd stay 2 nights in Bangkok at the end so you can enjoy it.

#2 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 02:19

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

As far as I know buses (and mini vans) from both Sukothai and Ayutthaya all pass the airport - just make sure the drivers know in advance so they do not take the toll road

#3 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 05:13

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

I'd be inclined to take Leonard's advice and go to Bangkok the night before. Getting dropped off on the main road in front of Don Muang after an all-night bus trip just sounds a little stressful. It is doable -- just make sure the bus will drop you there before you buy the ticket (a lot of them take the tollway and skip over the airport). Of course, you could just take a bus that arrives to Morchit station at around 7:00am then taxi it to Don Muang from there, which isn't too far. Another option would be to take the train from Phitsanulok to Don Muang, which would leave you a short walk from the airport. The only potential problem there is unreliable trains. Last time I took a train from Phitsanulok it was a good four hours late.

#4 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 05:21

• amnicoll

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2005
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 6

The early morning ordinary trains from Ayutthya are normally quite reliable (within 15 mins or so)

#5 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 05:50

• Madara

Joined Travelfish
    3rd November, 2013

Thank you all for the replies.
    I would like to avoid staying in Bangkok, but I do know how unrealiable transport is over here, so I guess I will have to stay there overnight.

#6 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 06:40

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Why? Bangkok is a great city and the victory monument area is good. You've good food on rangnam rd plus live music options. Raintree Pub is another good place with great food and folk music. Quick run to old airport from there.

#7 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 06:47

• Madara

Joined Travelfish
    3rd November, 2013

So how far is Victory Monument from the main bus station?
    I dont know, I just spent 4 days in Bangkok in the Baglamphu (sp?) area and did not enjoy it that much. Perhaps it is the debilitating heat that gets to me. :)

#8 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 07:01

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Bangkok grows on you and Thailand is hot all over. With Bangkok it's best to walk around early in the day then rest around lunch time to avoid the worse of the heat or head to MBK shopping centre - food court plus cinemas then go out at night or late afternoon.

Victory is on the sktrain so easy to visit MBK or other places. Good street food around MBK as well.

Banglamphu is very isolated and not a good area to stay in. Once you've done the grand palace, reclining buddha and museum it's got nothing but crawling with backpackers.

#9 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 08:04

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Victory is on the north side of the city not that far from the airport. Taxis are dirt cheap in Bangkok and mo chit bus terminal isn't that far. About 7 kms from victory to mo chit and a further 15km to airport but they have toll roads for quick access.

Banglamphu is the backpacker ghetto area - I don't like it either. Spent 2 nights there and couldn't see all the fuss with KSR was. Just a shitty little rd with heaps of tourists on it.

I like victory area cause it's 90% thais, some good hotels, good food plus live music.

http://www.saxophonepub.com/

http://www.thaibis.com/bangkok/bars/raintree-pub

#10 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 08:13

• Advertisement

• Madara

Joined Travelfish
    3rd November, 2013

Thank you, you have inspired me to try again. :)

#11 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 08:18

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Good. I hated bkk the first time too. Now I really like it. tis hot but i get a hotel with a pool and avoid the worst heat from 11-2.

Good luck.

#12 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 08:26

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Don Muang Airport/Train station ... By msaw on 4 Jan 2008 2 5086 4 Jan 2008
THAI to leave Don Muang airport ... By travelfishnews on 7 Mar 2009 0 1987 7 Mar 2009