Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Ko Tarutao and Ko Adang, do I need to book for early December?

• AlexSEAsia

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi everyone

My girlfriend and I are planning to stay 3 nights on ko tarutao followed by 3 nights on ko adang from 1-6 December.

Does anyone know if we should book the 2 person bungalows or will we be fine just turning up at this time?

If we need to book then has anyone had experience using the online reservation system at the national park website? I tried to make a reservation but it requests payment by bank transfer as I am outside Thailand at the moment. Does it really work or is there an easier way to reserve these bungalows?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 05:19

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

You should be fine if you just turn up. Worst case scenario is that you'd have to camp, but I highly doubt the bungalows will be full on those dates.

#2 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 05:23

• AlexSEAsia

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2013

Posted from within Vietnam.

Thanks, we will just turn up then.

#3 Posted: 6/11/2013 - 20:41

• Pegr0

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2013

Hi there dear AlexSEAsia !

I will visit Koh Tarutao on early January (Monday 6 to Saturday 11) with my girlfriend

and I would be delighted if you could share your experience.

Did you had any luck with the accomodation just turning up there or did you finally camp?

Any other information would be welcomed!

Thank you in advance!

P.

#4 Posted: 13/12/2013 - 06:25

• AlexSEAsia

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2013

Hi Pegr0

We stayed 3 nights on Ko Tarutao , and 3 nights on Ko Adang. We had no problem finding accommodation when we turned up. We booked it at the National Park Office located next to the pier at Pak Bara where you catch the boat. However, I am unsure of what the situation will be on the dates you are visiting.

On Ko Tarutao there are 2 locations where you can stay Ao Pante or Ao Molae. Ao Molae had not been opened yet when we were there so we stayed at Ao Pante (If we went back we would stay at Ao Molae as we passed through whilst cycling and it seems really nice). At Ao Pante we stayed in a lovely big bungalow for 800 baht a night. We didn't get a good look at the other accommodation but it was further from the beach than the bungalows. There were some people camping almost right on the beach which looked nice but I'm guessing they were massacred by mosquitoes as there were a lot on the whole island.

There is plenty to do on the island. We recommend kayaking to crocodile cave (best to go at high tide to avoid mud and take a good torch). Also we had a nice day cycling to Ao Son where there is another nice beach. They only had 4 bicycles available for rent at the time we we there so we had to go early in the morning to get them before others did. On problem with staying at Ao Molae is that you are 4km away from where the bicycles are rented and where the kayaks are, but if you don't mind lazing on the beach with a good book then it would be fine and maybe you could arrange something with the NP workers if you really wanted to. There is one restaurant which does good food (a bit pricey by backpacker standards but only difficult because we were on a tight budget).

We met some people that had successfully booked online with the bank transfer one month before and it was no problem for them so may be worth doing if you want to secure a bungalow.

Hope this helps, any further questions then let me know.

#5 Posted: 15/12/2013 - 03:09

• Pegr0

Joined Travelfish
    13th December, 2013

Thank you AlexSEAsia!

#6 Posted: 19/12/2013 - 00:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Camping Toh Tarutao - end december booking? ... By swati8 on 5 Nov 2014 3 288 6 Nov 2014
Koh Tao weather early December ... By Rosie_4783 on 29 Sep 2009 3 6175 30 Sep 2009
Any co-traveller in Laos early December ... By parththefirst on 23 Nov 2010 16 1637 9 Dec 2010
Shall i book the train from BKK to Chiang Mai early? ... By applejy on 30 Nov 2007 12 3065 13 Jan 2008
3 Weeks Malaysia late November / early December ... By nochnbier on 27 Oct 2010 6 3438 26 Nov 2010