Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

guest house or hostel in Bangkok

• maori1234

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2013

I am looking for a place to stay for a month in Bangkok . I can spend up to about 500 bht a night. If anyone has a suggestion i would be grateful . A place that has common area / places to sit and read/ socialize etc would be good. Thanks

#1 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 18:27

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi maori,

are you staying in bangkok for a particular reason? is there one part of town that you'd prefer or need to be closer to? are you looking to socialize with other westerners, thais, or a mix of folks? do you need any kind of kitchen, or just a room with a bath? cheers.

#2 Posted: 4/11/2013 - 19:04

• maori1234

Joined Travelfish
    4th November, 2013

I am staying in Bangkok for Meditation practice/exploring the city and to eat. I may also get some dental work done. I think i prefer be be somewhere i can use Lumphine Park on a regular basis . I could walk there or take a local bus would be fine. I do like the river also. Socializing is ok with Thais and westerners. No kitchen facilities are necessary. Local neighborhoods are also fine by me . I am a very good walker and user of public transport. I have past through BKK before but never stayed long.
    Thanks in advance of your replies.

#3 Posted: 5/11/2013 - 15:05

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I guess you'd want to be somewhere near where you'd be practicing meditation then, unless you aren't practicing anywhere specific. If you wanted to be near Lumpini Park, I'd guess the Silom or Sathorn road corridors would be a good choice. Those put you near the MRT and Skytrain for easy travel to other parts of the city.

In the old days, Soi Ngam Dupli, near the Lumpini Boxing Stadium just off Rama IV Road was a good hangout for longer-term stays. But I'm afraid I haven't been there in ages so can't say if there is still anything of a scene there or not.

Are you tied to Bangkok? I ask because it will be more expensive than other places. I agree that the food in Bangers is top notch and great variety, but you should also be able to find an amazing variety of food in Chiang Mai, for example, and rooms will be cheaper and there is more of a hang out, holiday feel there.

Sorry I don't have a specific recommendation for you, as I usually stay elsewhere in Bangkok. But I hope others will chime in with ideas and perhaps you can check the Travelfish listings for the areas I mentioned to see what might look good and fit your budget. Good luck!

#4 Posted: 5/11/2013 - 17:58

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

A few suggestions:

Bangkok Cozy Place -- I recently checked out this homely little hostel/guesthouse; it's really cheap (around 400 baht per night) for an air-con private if you just need somewhere to sleep. That's shared bathroom. It has some decent common areas, not a bad place to meet other travelers and staff are really nice. It's in a little local style nieghborhood / quiet side street but short walk from Hualamphong MRT. Lumpini Park would be 2 stops away on the subway and Chinatown is within walking distance.

Penguin House -- Off Soi Ngam Duphli as exacto suggested. The street definitely has a rather tired feel these days but the location is good and there are still quite a few traveler cafes/bars mixed into hole-in-the-wall Thai eateries. Lumpini Park is within walking distance. Lumpini MRT is really close and you could be at Silom / interchange to the BTS in one stop (or you could walk it in about 15 minutes).

S1 Hostel -- Also on Soi Ngam Duphli, this is a pretty relaxed, not-too-social hostel with good common spaces, good security and privates from 600 to 900 per night, although I'm sure you could negotiate this down quite a bit if you were staying for a month.

King Royal Garden Inn -- This is a rather old, rundown hotel but I stayed there for 2 months and was perfectly comfy. It's good value for good-size rooms with all the extras -- TV, air-con, fridge, WiFi, etc. -- and it has a little rooftop swimming pool. If you contact them directly (or walk in) you can probably get a room for between 10,000 and 15,000 baht if you're paying for a full month.

You could also try a search on www.airbnb.com and see if you can find a decent room in someone's house.

To reiterate exacto, none of these places (or central Bangkok in general) strike me as a particularly good place to practice meditation. But if that's you're keen on doing, more power to you. If you're looking for more of a casual "retreat" sort of experience, I once stayed in a room for like 200 baht per night right next to Wat Sanghathan, a forest tradition meditation temple in Nonthaburi that's accessible by the Chao Phraya express boat (200 - 300 baht taxi ride from central Bangkok). The temple is Wat Sanghathan -- website is www.vimokkha.com and there's a little link to the rooms on the bottom of the homepage.

#5 Posted: 5/11/2013 - 18:24

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

"Meditation practice/exploring the city and to eat"

Bangkok is good for the later but it's a chaotic unpeaceful city.

Bangkok is more expensive for rooms as noted and being so chaotic it's a hard place to escape to relax the mind.

Some info here:

http://www.sawadee.com/thailand/meditation/

#6 Posted: 5/11/2013 - 20:15

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
@ Hualamphong Hostel / Guest House ... By christay2009 on 13 Sep 2011 0 1375 13 Sep 2011
Chiang Mai Junior Guest House, formerly SK Guest House...any thoughts? ... By rpblica54 on 27 Mar 2012 0 2016 27 Mar 2012
Bangkok Guest house ... By carycary on 29 Mar 2007 0 2194 29 Mar 2007
Amarin Inn Guest House, Bangkok ... By amarin on 19 Dec 2009 0 1551 19 Dec 2009
The overstay Bar and guest house in Bangkok ... By overstay on 2 Jan 2009 1 3748 8 Apr 2009
Bangkok: Great guesthouse near KSR "at Home guest house" ... By miranda456 on 26 Feb 2007 1 6734 14 Apr 2007
PENGUIN HOUSE-guest house& serviced apartment @sathorn ... By ccfay on 29 Jul 2008 0 4333 29 Jul 2008
Panda House a new guest house in down town Chiangmai ... By pandahouse on 10 May 2008 0 3571 10 May 2008
Thai House Inn Guest House ... By doveman on 5 May 2006 0 3119 5 May 2006
A newly renovated boutique hostel: HQ Hostel Bangkok, Silom Road. ... By archpop on 23 Jun 2008 0 3841 1 Nov 2008