Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Sak Yant Tattoo

• lostintime

Joined Travelfish
    10th November, 2013

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone has any experience with Sak Yant tattoos?

I have been travelling extensively around Asia for the last 4 years whenever I have had a spare moment but strangely never gotten a tattoo in Thailand even though it's always been highly appealing.

I know 'Wat Bang Phra' is the most famous for Sak Yant tattoo's, my random question, does this tattoo have to be on your back/arm? I know the monk should pick your tattoo and place it which is extremely interesting. But due to the nature of my job, any tattoo's that I currently have are restricted to my feet or lower legs (concealed).

I'm wondering if its completely frowned upon and look down on if its placed here, etc?

Thanks.
    L.

#1 Posted: 10/11/2013 - 09:19

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Usually it's on the back or chest. A sak yant on the legs is not out of the question, but it's unusual, and it would only be possible for certain designs (as far as I understand). I personally would not feel comfortable going to Wat Bang Phra and, after waiting in line among the faithful and doing the ceremonial offering, asking the monk tattoo artist to tattoo my leg or foot. Keep in mind that feet are considered the dirtiest part of the body, so to ask a monk to go near your feet could be seen as disrespectful. The whole ordeal is highly sacred.

#2 Posted: 10/11/2013 - 21:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Traditional Thai Tattoo/ Sak Yant ... By soontobewrldtrv on 22 May 2012 3 2262 4 Jul 2012
Sak-Yant Sacred Tattoo Artists in Thailand ... By rsthomas on 30 Aug 2008 3 4789 5 Mar 2009