Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Where should we live for 2 months in Bangkok?

Posted by KaneJinju on 12/11/2013 at 09:05

I'm traveling with a bud, so we'll want 2 bachelors, preferably within the same building.

We're planning on staying in Bangkok and as soon as we get off the plane, ideally we wanna drop our gear off at our leased apartments/furnished rooms.

Budgeting for about 300USD/month for a clean, furnished room near a convenient way to where the nightlife/city area is.

We are clean, non-smoking, straight (if that matters), language learners (I'm learning Korean and French, he's doing Korean and Spanish), who are keen on working out.

What do you think Travelfish, are we going to find it easily?

#1 KaneJinju has been a member since 12/11/2013. Location: Canada. Posts: 5

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 12/11/2013 at 09:17

Find an apartment near Victory Monument. There's a few good ones near there and you can access the city via skytrain.

#2 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by MADMAC on 12/11/2013 at 09:33

If it was me, I'd find a place in China Town.

When are you coming?

My son has a place near On Nut - so if you want, maybe he can hook you up prior to your arrival, since that appears to be what you desire. He's paying 7,000 a month. "Furnished" is a liberal term though.

#3 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 12/11/2013 at 09:48

Why China Town? Messy roads and hard to move around. On Nut is also a long way out but on the skytrain at least.

good info here:

http://migrationology.com/2012/02/rent-cheap-apartments-in-bangkok-thailand/

The cheapest places aren't on the net. I'd book a hotel for first 2 nights near where you want to stay and walk around and find an apartment.

#4 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by MADMAC on 12/11/2013 at 10:28

I like the vibe of Chinatown. To each his own.

#5 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by chinarocks on 12/11/2013 at 11:02

I'm with you there MM. I've yet to visit a Chinatown I didn't like.

BTW, welcome back.

#6 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 740

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 12/11/2013 at 18:52

I'm yet to visit a Chinatown I like. Repetive shops galore.

#7 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by KaneJinju on 12/11/2013 at 19:33

Good info fellas.

I like the feel of the suggestions here. I think Victory Monument is something closer to what we're looking for - it's a stone's throw away from entertainment, historical and shopping areas.

You guys know any sites or language exchange groups in that area?
How about swing dance meets in Bangkok?
What's the cheapest way to land from any Bangkok airport to Victory Monument?

K

#8 KaneJinju has been a member since 12/11/2013. Location: Canada. Posts: 5

Posted by exacto on 12/11/2013 at 20:14

i was going to suggest looking for an apartment as close to your language school as you can find, but it looks like you haven't picked a language school yet. is that true? is there a particular reason you are going to Bangkok for a month to study Korean? is Seoul fully booked?

i love chinatowns too, and a friend of mine who has lived all over asia thinks Bangkok's is particularly good. but for your purpose, i think leonard's suggestion above of Victory Monument is a better choice. it puts you close to the skytrain and many different bus lines for getting around. you can easily catch the minivans for quick trips to Ayutthaya from there too. there is good variety of places to eat, etc. all in all it is a really happening, centrally located part of the city.

if there are two of you, i'd just take a taxi from either airport to the Victory Monument area. good luck.

#9 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,606
 Where has exacto been? 

Posted by KaneJinju on 12/11/2013 at 21:24

Thanks exacto.
We're language learners on a break. In Thailand, we'll probably just chill out and travel. Not that there won't be any harm joining language exchange groups if you guys can suggest a few.

Feel free to suggest places for Swing dancing, language exchange groups, and cheap ways to get from the airport to Victory Monument!

#10 KaneJinju has been a member since 12/11/2013. Location: Canada. Posts: 5

Posted by MADMAC on 12/11/2013 at 22:26

I have a friend of mine who's a dancer who's Korean. You want me to ask her if there's a Korean language school that might be useful to you? I would assume the challenge will be finding a school that's working in Korean / English and not Korean / Thai. But maybe not.

#11 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by KaneJinju on 13/11/2013 at 00:14

Hey MADMAC,
Sure you could ask her. We're already well into Korean, we can do our own thing and practice freely without a class. But hit her up and PM me the info if it's handy - it'll be nice to use a familiar language in a foreign country.

K

#12 KaneJinju has been a member since 12/11/2013. Location: Canada. Posts: 5

Posted by captainbkk on 13/11/2013 at 01:00

Chinaotwn is only for Chinese and those who love that peculiar lifestyle., plus there is hardly any decent acomm. for long-time rent. Its an ugly mess-eve more now due to metro construction along main axis.
This forum is simply not fit for you-it aims at ignorant bekpekkers. Go to an expat forum, like thaivisa and find much more-most posters there are the tipical english teachers.
There ARE Korean and Ko/Thai schools and a sizeable Korean expat community, but even more as the JPnese they stick to themselves. ""Koreatown'' is a big office/shopcentre along Sukhumvit, near soi 10/12.

#13 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Posted by LillaAnna on 13/11/2013 at 04:19

The Swing dancing is mainly in the Silom area. Tuesdays and Fridays I think. Check out www.bangkokswing.com

#14 LillaAnna has been a member since 28/10/2013. Posts: 16
 Where has LillaAnna been? 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 13/11/2013 at 08:18

taxi is $8-12. If you can't afford that you can't afford to travel. The old airport is slightly cheaper than the new one as it's closer to victory.

#15 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.