Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Where should we live for 2 months in Bangkok?

• KaneJinju

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2013
    Location Canada

I'm traveling with a bud, so we'll want 2 bachelors, preferably within the same building.

We're planning on staying in Bangkok and as soon as we get off the plane, ideally we wanna drop our gear off at our leased apartments/furnished rooms.

Budgeting for about 300USD/month for a clean, furnished room near a convenient way to where the nightlife/city area is.

We are clean, non-smoking, straight (if that matters), language learners (I'm learning Korean and French, he's doing Korean and Spanish), who are keen on working out.

What do you think Travelfish, are we going to find it easily?

#1 Posted: 12/11/2013 - 09:05

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Find an apartment near Victory Monument. There's a few good ones near there and you can access the city via skytrain.

#2 Posted: 12/11/2013 - 09:17

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

If it was me, I'd find a place in China Town.

When are you coming?

My son has a place near On Nut - so if you want, maybe he can hook you up prior to your arrival, since that appears to be what you desire. He's paying 7,000 a month. "Furnished" is a liberal term though.

#3 Posted: 12/11/2013 - 09:33

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Why China Town? Messy roads and hard to move around. On Nut is also a long way out but on the skytrain at least.

good info here:

http://migrationology.com/2012/02/rent-cheap-apartments-in-bangkok-thailand/

The cheapest places aren't on the net. I'd book a hotel for first 2 nights near where you want to stay and walk around and find an apartment.

#4 Posted: 12/11/2013 - 09:48

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I like the vibe of Chinatown. To each his own.

#5 Posted: 12/11/2013 - 10:28

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

I'm with you there MM. I've yet to visit a Chinatown I didn't like.

BTW, welcome back.

#6 Posted: 12/11/2013 - 11:02

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

I'm yet to visit a Chinatown I like. Repetive shops galore.

#7 Posted: 12/11/2013 - 18:52

• KaneJinju

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2013
    Location Canada

Good info fellas.

I like the feel of the suggestions here. I think Victory Monument is something closer to what we're looking for - it's a stone's throw away from entertainment, historical and shopping areas.

You guys know any sites or language exchange groups in that area?
    How about swing dance meets in Bangkok?
    What's the cheapest way to land from any Bangkok airport to Victory Monument?

K

#8 Posted: 12/11/2013 - 19:33

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

i was going to suggest looking for an apartment as close to your language school as you can find, but it looks like you haven't picked a language school yet. is that true? is there a particular reason you are going to Bangkok for a month to study Korean? is Seoul fully booked?

i love chinatowns too, and a friend of mine who has lived all over asia thinks Bangkok's is particularly good. but for your purpose, i think leonard's suggestion above of Victory Monument is a better choice. it puts you close to the skytrain and many different bus lines for getting around. you can easily catch the minivans for quick trips to Ayutthaya from there too. there is good variety of places to eat, etc. all in all it is a really happening, centrally located part of the city.

if there are two of you, i'd just take a taxi from either airport to the Victory Monument area. good luck.

#9 Posted: 12/11/2013 - 20:14

• KaneJinju

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2013
    Location Canada

Thanks exacto.
    We're language learners on a break. In Thailand, we'll probably just chill out and travel. Not that there won't be any harm joining language exchange groups if you guys can suggest a few.

Feel free to suggest places for Swing dancing, language exchange groups, and cheap ways to get from the airport to Victory Monument!

#10 Posted: 12/11/2013 - 21:24

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

I have a friend of mine who's a dancer who's Korean. You want me to ask her if there's a Korean language school that might be useful to you? I would assume the challenge will be finding a school that's working in Korean / English and not Korean / Thai. But maybe not.

#11 Posted: 12/11/2013 - 22:26

• KaneJinju

Joined Travelfish
    12th November, 2013
    Location Canada

Hey MADMAC,
    Sure you could ask her. We're already well into Korean, we can do our own thing and practice freely without a class. But hit her up and PM me the info if it's handy - it'll be nice to use a familiar language in a foreign country.

K

#12 Posted: 13/11/2013 - 00:14

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

Chinaotwn is only for Chinese and those who love that peculiar lifestyle., plus there is hardly any decent acomm. for long-time rent. Its an ugly mess-eve more now due to metro construction along main axis.
    This forum is simply not fit for you-it aims at ignorant bekpekkers. Go to an expat forum, like thaivisa and find much more-most posters there are the tipical english teachers.
    There ARE Korean and Ko/Thai schools and a sizeable Korean expat community, but even more as the JPnese they stick to themselves. ""Koreatown'' is a big office/shopcentre along Sukhumvit, near soi 10/12.

#13 Posted: 13/11/2013 - 01:00

• LillaAnna

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2013
    Places visited:
    At least 23

The Swing dancing is mainly in the Silom area. Tuesdays and Fridays I think. Check out www.bangkokswing.com

#14 Posted: 13/11/2013 - 04:19

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

taxi is $8-12. If you can't afford that you can't afford to travel. The old airport is slightly cheaper than the new one as it's closer to victory.

#15 Posted: 13/11/2013 - 08:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Best place to live for 2-3 months ... By placeshifter on 26 Jul 2010 26 8614 23 Sep 2012