Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Loi Krathong in the north (Chiang Rai province)

• somanights

Joined Travelfish
    10th October, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Hi all

We're keen on getting a good Loi Krathong experience, preferably in a smaller place than BKK or Chiang Mai. Many many towns seem to offer a similar combination of pageantry, so it's difficult to choose our destination.

Can anybody offer any recommendations? Or is it likely to be just as good whoever we pitch up?

Thanks

#1 Posted: 13/11/2013 - 21:29

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

No big deal. I wouldnt plan a trip around it.

#2 Posted: 14/11/2013 - 04:25

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

First requirement is a lake/river/canal in/near town. In my humble opinion it's hard to beat Loy Krathong in Chiang Mai where it really goes off. If you want something toned down and less touristy consider Phayao which is a nice size town set next to a huge lake with good bbq restaurants and sunset viewing from the water's edge.

#3 Posted: 14/11/2013 - 06:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Should I avoid Chiang Mai on Loy Krathong? ... By scythemk on 18 Sep 2010 6 2175 26 Sep 2010
Loi Krathong / Yi Peng in Chiang Mai ... By TheNewGuy8 on 16 Nov 2010 4 1311 21 Nov 2010
Chiang Maan Residence, old city, Chiang Mai Province ... By nalinee78 on 30 Oct 2006 2 3692 3 Mar 2007