Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Southeast Asia New Years Tips?

• alokw

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2013

Hey all,

I'm planning to be in Southeast Asia from Dec. 18th - January 2nd. Here are my goals for the trip:
    - visit and maybe stay at some monasteries
    - see some beautiful scenery, architecture, and/or art
    - experience some new and unique cities/cultures
    - spend some time with nature and myself
    - have an awesome and fun new years

My current route thoughts are:
    1. Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
    2. Phuket, Thailand
    3. Bangkok, Thailand
    4. Angkor Wat, Cambodia
    5. Chiang Mai, Thailand
    6. Luang Prabang, Laos
    7. Hanoi, Vietnam
    8. Macau, China
    9. Hong Kong, China

So here are my questions:
    - I know I'm cramming a lot into only 15 days, so any thoughts about places I should skip?
    - Is there anywhere else I MUST visit, that's not on the list?
    - Where do you think would be the best place to celebrate new years and end my trip?
    - I'm having a hard time figuring out bus routes getting from city to city, and how to "confirm" trips... any suggestions?
    - Any other thoughts or advice from people that may have done a similar trip?

Thanks!

#1 Posted: 13/11/2013 - 22:25

• Advertisement

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Being on the move almost every day is not fun and IMO kinda ruins the experience. You might want to knock it down to around 4-5 places, allowing time for transport and at least a couple days in each place. You can tick many of your boxes in and around Chiang Mai - go trekking in the hills, stay at hilltribe villages, tons of Buddhist temples in town and around, some which offer "monk chat" opportunities to gain insights into monastic life. Luang Prabang would also fit the bill - many old temples in the UNESCO area are beautiful and well-preserved, and many of the resident monks are willing/eager to communicate with visitors (just make sure it's for the right reasons). Some good wild treks in northern Laos too. Instead of trying to rope in six countries in 15 days, maybe focus on Thailand and either Laos or Cambodia or Vietnam but not all of the above. Just a suggestion. Where you'll spend New Year is pretty much tied to where you fly out of on Jan-2nd.

#2 Posted: 14/11/2013 - 07:27

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

You need at least 3-4 nights to do anything significant. I wouldn't do something similar because 1 it will cost heaps with flights and 2 it's way too much moving around.

Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos will require a visa payment and Vietnam needs to be bought in advance. Paying visa fees for 3 countries for a 2 night visit is madness.

#3 Posted: 14/11/2013 - 08:29

• alokw

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2013

Good thoughts - thanks guys! Makes a lot of sense. What do you guys think of this?
    In this case I'd fly in to Bangkok, and celebrate New Years and fly out of Macau.

1. Bangkok, Thailand (3 days)
    2. Angkor Wat, Cambodia (2 days)
    3. Chiang Mai, Thailand (4 days)
    4. Luang Prabang, Laos (3 days)
    5. Macau, China (3 days)

In your experience, what's the best way to book bus trips between cities?

Thanks again!

#4 Posted: 14/11/2013 - 08:40

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

Bear in mind the logistics (transfers/delays) of moving from place to place. Bangkok to Siem Reap is either a flight (allow time for taxi/airport/immigration/customs) or one full day by bus - border hassles - bus/taxi, Siem Reap to Chiang Mai requires two connecting flights with the same issues, Chiang Mai to Luang Prabang only option with your timetable is fly (same same airport logistics). Macau? You're really dealing with a load of travel fatigue by then. I'd simplify the plan and stick to just a couple countries and (again) maybe 4-5 destinations.

#5 Posted: 14/11/2013 - 11:59

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
What to do for News Years in Southeast Asia ... By somtam2000 on 30 Dec 2012 0 1278 30 Dec 2012