Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

How to get the last ferry in time for half moon party on Koh Phangan?

• eve1eve

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2013

Hi, my friend and I arrive at Surat Thani airport at 3.35pm on Dec 24th, and our hope is to get the last ferry that leaves from either Surat Thani pier at 4.30pm or Don Sak Pier at 6pm going to Koh Phangan. Will we be able to make this?
    I hear that the bus always goes first into Surat Thani town and then you have to change for the bus to Don Sak - is there not a bus direct to Don Sak at that time (for Raja ferry only), and if not will we have enough time to make the 6pm ferry after our negotiations for bus/ferry combos? (we will not be collecting baggage once off the plane).
    Or will we be able to make the ferry leaving at 4.30pm from Surat Thani pier? (how far is it from where the bus drops off in the town?)
    Or should we just get a taxi to be on the safe side?
    We need to be on that ferry in order to get to the half moon party that night!
    Many thanks in advance

#1 Posted: 20/11/2013 - 09:54

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Be a great shame to miss such an important Thai festival with drunk farangs everywhere.

#2 Posted: 20/11/2013 - 18:20

• eve1eve

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2013

If it was up to me we would skip it altogether, but my friend is visiting for just a week and really wants to go. Thanks for the answer to the question.

#3 Posted: 21/11/2013 - 03:27

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

So you are being forced to drink and help trash the island?

#4 Posted: 21/11/2013 - 09:24

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

hi eve,

your 3:35 pm arrival would give you less than an hour to get off the plane, collect your luggage, and make your way into town. the surat thani airport is a bit outside town, and as i recall it takes a while to get the airport buses loaded up and on their way.

on my last trip through surat thani, we bought a combo bus/ferry ticket to samui right at a booth in the terminal. there were others on the same bus out of the airport that bought a bus/ferry combo for phangan, however, so it seemed that at least that ferry trip was timed for the arrival of that flight. hopefully that will be the case for you too.

as i recall, the trip out to don sak where we caught the ferry portion of our bus/ferry combo ticket was another hour's drive from surat town.

do you have a plan B just in case you miss the connection (late flight, overfull bus or ferry, etc.)? also, do you have a place to stay already sorted or did you plan to sleep on the beach (or not sleep at all ;-)

if you do make it, i'd love to hear your feedback on how it was and if you thought it was worth the effort, etc. good luck! cheers.

#5 Posted: 21/11/2013 - 11:37

• eve1eve

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2013

Ahh 'Leonard'...why don't you stand outside the entrance of the full moon parties with a placard indicating your protest, you will get more people that way...

Exacto, thanks very much for your response. We won't have baggage to collect so at least that we won't lose time there, and if the plane is late then we may be able to get a taxi which could get us there quicker. We have accommodation booked for two nights so would prefer to get there that night (no beach sleeping for me these days!). As it turns out, there is a half moon party on the 24th and then a Xmas Party on the 25th, so if we miss the first one then there is the second night.
    Will let you know how it goes!
    Take care

#6 Posted: 22/11/2013 - 02:04

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Half Moon Party - Ko Phangan ... By Worldtraveller on 12 Feb 2010 7 5790 26 May 2012
Koh Phangan/Half Moon Party/Hotel ... By Chicagojosh85 on 8 Nov 2012 2 2244 8 Nov 2012
half moon party phuket?? ... By chloe_louise on 21 Oct 2011 0 954 21 Oct 2011
Nov Half Moon Party accomodation advice ... By alssolotour on 14 Aug 2009 1 1377 16 Aug 2009
Full/Half Moon Party- Is it worth it?? ... By lilymissfun on 20 Feb 2012 6 8039 28 Feb 2012
4 Aug Full Moon Party - Koh Samui - Travel buddy/Ferry Info ... By chinezero on 20 May 2012 1 1911 7 Jul 2012
Koh Phangan Full Moon Party NYE!!! ... By vipinsh on 22 Sep 2012 1 1937 1 Oct 2012
NYE and/or Full Moon Party on Koh Phangan ... By seans_elysees on 1 Nov 2011 2 1445 14 Nov 2011
Help! - Koh Phangan Accommodation Full Moon Party ... By KatieI on 15 Jul 2009 2 2873 16 Jul 2009
BTs Hostel & Restaurant Koh Phangan HAAD RIN FULL MOON PARTY ... By BTs on 8 Aug 2013 2 1271 9 Aug 2013