Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

kanchanburi/erawan wateralls - Day trip?

• blyths24

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2013

Hi all,

Is it worth it or managable ot visit kanchanburi/erawan wateralls in a day? I only have a day in BBK and I have done pretty much all the temples etc and people have told me the erawan waterfalls are great.

Is to too far for a day trip?

Whos best to book with?

Many thanks.

#1 Posted: 22/11/2013 - 09:23

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Last time I stayed in the area there were dozens of big tourist coaches at the various locations. Virtually all originate in Bangkok. Most take in the town/war museums/cemeteries and then do two or three hinterland places which can include Erawan Falls, rafting on the river, hot springs, some caves, anothe r falls area, a ride on the Death Railway, Hellfire Pass - and all usually include a walk on the River Kwai Bridge. The trip for you will be the one with the inclusions you fancy.
    These trips can be booked online, and every small travel desk and accommodation place in Bangkok will have a choice. I think you are more likely to get a good price in Bangkok.

You can catch a train up and back from Bangkok but this requires a very early start and doesn't leave a lot of time unless you have arranged for a local Kanchanaburi based tour to pick you up from the station. Ditto the public bus from Bangkok's southern bus station and the travellers' minibuses from KSR.

#2 Posted: 22/11/2013 - 20:57

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Far too rushed on daytrip. Takes 3 hrs to get to waterfall. Stay over night or skip it

#3 Posted: 24/11/2013 - 23:33

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I'm a great believer in staying a night or 5. But not everyone has room in their itinerary to do this. So respectfully I gotta disagree with Leonard.
    The fact that thousands of people I saw were doing these big bus tours outa Bangkok and seemed to be enjoying themselves seems to indicate that these work. When you get back to the Bangkok hotel and say "Whew, big day!" is a sure sign it's been worthwhile.

#4 Posted: 25/11/2013 - 00:53

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Yeah spend 8 hrs on a bus for a 30 min swim. It's not worth it. It's gonna be a 13 hour day and those bus people would have been happy just to get off.

#5 Posted: 25/11/2013 - 02:53

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

With just 1 day I'd do safari world. They have lions and tigers roaming around and u can do a drive thru plus see lots of other animals. At night go to Siam niramit dinner and show. Any travel agent can sell these tours. Safari world is close to the old airport so it's not a long day.

#6 Posted: 25/11/2013 - 02:54

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Tours leave at 6am and get back at 7pm.

#7 Posted: 25/11/2013 - 03:01

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I'm with Leonard - too much time on the bus, too little time at the destination. The juice ain't worth the squeeze.

Go get a massage, have a beer, eat a meal, relax instead.

#8 Posted: 25/11/2013 - 03:08

• blyths24

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2013

Thanks for all the input guys, it seems it's too much for a day trip, but that Safari sounds interesting!

Many thanks

#9 Posted: 25/11/2013 - 03:59

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I think you're making the right call. Wait until you can do it right.

#10 Posted: 25/11/2013 - 08:28

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.