Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

1st Time unplanned adventure no need to come back till april

• dodgytraine-
    rs

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Hi All i need to ask for help ive booked a flight to BKK airport on the 4th December and well thats it really ill be walking in blind i have never been further than a family holiday in Spain before my funds are not unlimited i think i can muster up about 3500 uk pounds (bkk flight is already paid for ) and on that money would like to Travel as long as possible got till April taking in Vietnam and anywhere else i can is this enough ? where do i go when i get off that airplane in Bangkok ? i dont mind roughing it a bit im only taking a sports bag with a few clothes so i can roam ive read about the scams and though im sure i will be taken in a couple of times that will have to be my learning curve (Ps just to say that though im a 48 yr old male im not looking for sex or a new wife that doesnt understand me i can get all that from our local singles clubs) i just want an adventure and somewhere to head for when i get off that plane
    Ty in Advance

#1 Posted: 24/11/2013 - 06:37

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

On the money side you can make it happen, but you are thin. You have enough for about 30,000 baht a month, of one thousand a day I'm assuming this includes April - if it doesn't, then maybe you'll have closer to 45,000 baht a month, which should be OK if you are reasonable). A touch more than that. You can find rooms for 300 baht a day, and you can eat for another 150 a day, but that leaves 500 for:

1. Visa fees.
    2. Transportation costs.
    3. Actually doing anything.

It ain't much. Then there's booze and women. I know, you aren't looking for women - but realistically most single guys don't go on vacation to be celibate and you are very unlikely to get any for free. Doesn't work that way here (well maybe some backpacker chick - I can't speak to that element).

So when you factor in all your costs, you are really pushing it (again, assuming you are staying through April).

Two reasonable alternatives would be to shorten your timeline. Say a return mid-February. Or you could rent a room for a couple of months at one location (say Chiang Mai) and then do so again at another (Say Phnom Phen). Then you could save a lot on housing, say about five to six thousand baht a month.

If you come through Mukdahan way, look me up. I'll be happy to show you around.

#2 Posted: 24/11/2013 - 09:31

• dodgytraine-
    rs

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Hi thanx for the answer Mac no it doesnt include april ive been searching the net and was going to head for the Khao San Road to start with after that who knows so it seems i have more time than money (story of my life :)and thanks for the offer if i do pass through Mukdahan i surely will

#3 Posted: 24/11/2013 - 09:56

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Just so you know, December 5th is the King's birthday. Parts of Bangkok will be more chaotic than usual, and transport in, out of, and around Bangkok will be tight and slow. You might want to stick around Bangkok for a few days until things quiet down a bit.

That's plenty to live nicely on without having to worry about watching the bank account providing you're not planning on staying in 5-star hotels and resorts.

#4 Posted: 24/11/2013 - 10:01

• dodgytraine-
    rs

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Ty Tilapia The Kings Birthday ? ill have to google that will it affect me getting from the airport to the KSR was going to do it by taxi and 5 star dosnt suit im happy in a dorm or cheap room im arriving with just a sports holdal with a few clothes im a bit terrified but then thats all part of the adventure

#5 Posted: 24/11/2013 - 10:10

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I agree that 1,500 baht a day for those 120 days is a reasonable amount to live on. Staying in modest but comfy accommodation and eating good food but not at fancy places, you'll be fine. That should even be enough for a beer every day and a massage every so often and even a big splurge once a week or so.

Having said that, MADMAC's advice to either stay long-term in one place or shorten your trip really resonates with me. Since this is your big southeast Asia adventure, I can't recommend staying in just one place for the entire time. There is just too much to see. So, I'd similarly suggest that you shorten the time you'll be out. Seriously, do you want to have the time of your life for 12 weeks or watch every expense for 16 weeks. That little bit of extra cash each day will go a long way towards doing the fun stuff you can only do when you are on the road. I've seen too many backpackers in my travels hanging out at the guest house all day because they didn't have any money for those fun things, and as you mentioned above, you can get that at the singles clubs back home.

You'll also want to sort out your visa situation before you leave, or at least have a strategy for getting visas. You should get 30 days on arrival visa exemption in Thailand, plus another 30 days when you return. But I think you'll need to get your Vietnam visa in advance, either before you leave home or once you arrive in Bangkok. Cambodia and Laos have visa on arrival for 30 days as I remember, so no advance planning needed there other than having a passport photo and the cash to pay the fee. Overstaying a visa anywhere can be expensive and will needlessly use up a big chunk of that day's fundage.

Other than that, what kinds of things do you like to do? What do you want to see? Where do you want to go? Cheers.

p.s. no need to be terrified. thailand is a great place to start an adventure like this. it has a good infrastructure and is relatively easy to navigate. once you get your legs under you, the nearby places like cambodia, laos, and vietnam will be much easier to manage.

#6 Posted: 24/11/2013 - 10:28

• dodgytraine-
    rs

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Ty exacto I planned to get a Vietnam visa in Bangkok as i dont mind staying there a week (just the thought of entering such a big city like that alone and new sounds like it could be a bit disorientating) other than that i really dont know i love architecture and cultural differences im fairly sociable but can see language being a problem though from what ive read i should meet some nice people ive read that i should watch out for dodgy taxis pickpockets and prostitutes but to be fair id have to watch out for that on a weekend in Blackpool UK my main concern is the money situation for the length of stay im intending also whats the ATM situation over there ? dont want to carry wads of cash but at the same time dont want to be penniless looking for a cashpoint for two days

#7 Posted: 24/11/2013 - 10:40

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

spend some time looking around on this site. you'll find lots of good information on the things you are wondering about, like ATMs, suggested itineraries, transport, basic costs, etc. as for ATM's, they are pretty much everywhere now. they will typically charge a user fee, which in Thailand is in the 150 baht range, so most of us try to withdraw the maximum amount so we can suffer that fee as infrequently as we can. but that also means having a week's worth of cash on your person for a few days.

anyway, no problem getting money from ATM's, and that is what most of us do. i also recommend keeping a small supply of cash in small bills (including for me USD). they come in handy paying visa fees and if i just need a little more local cash before crossing a border. i also typically keep a reserve in traveller's checks. i've only had to dip into this twice out of several dozen trips, but every so often the ATM network will be down or electricity will be out or something where the ATM card doesn't work and it is nice to have that emergency back up. then, at the end of the trip, if you didn't need them, you've got extra money for a big splurge. but that's just my style. others do it differently and there is no right or wrong way - only what works for you. have a great trip. cheers.

#8 Posted: 24/11/2013 - 10:52

• dodgytraine-
    rs

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

And just googled the Kings Birthday better take a bright yellow t shirt and so far thanx youve all made me feel much better about this trip (last time i was this scared about something for days before was before my 1st solo parachute jump and heho im still here :)

#9 Posted: 24/11/2013 - 10:55

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

You might want to book a room for when you first arrive. This will give you a place to head straight to and will save you from having to wander around looking for a guest house or hotel when you get to the KSR area (which can be a bit of a drag when you've just arrived in the country and all you want is a shower and a beer). You can't swing a cat around there without hitting one, but having one picked out before you leave will save you from having to pound the pavement and from making any desperate decisions . If you don't like the guest house you pick you can always move on the next day.

Just as an example, you can make online reservations at this place without having to make any kind of downpayment first ... http://www.shantilodge.com/page/shanti-bangkok ... I'm not plugging this spot, but it is in a really good area in case you were wondering.

If you want to take a cab from the public taxi stand at the airport (recommended), show up with the name of your guest house or hotel and the address as it will be much easier for your driver to find the place. Most guest houses that advertise on the internet will have this info available in Thai and you can print it off bring it with you.

I'd leave the yellow and red shirts at home.

#10 Posted: 24/11/2013 - 11:27

• Advertisement

• dodgytraine-
    rs

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Ty Tilapia just checked the link and 250 baht sounds good to me for a bed for the night Though i dont understand about the yellow and red is all i found on google was yellow for the day (i dont want to offend anyone in their own country especially through pure ignorance)

#11 Posted: 24/11/2013 - 11:40

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi Dodgytrainers,

The red and yellow shirts are worn by Thai protesters, as a sign of political allegiance (either for or against the Thaksin regime). There's an article explaining some of the most recent protests here: http://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2013/11/25/world/asia/25reuters-thailand-politics.html?ref=reuters&_r=0

#12 Posted: 25/11/2013 - 14:04

• dodgytraine-
    rs

Joined Travelfish
    24th November, 2013
    Location United Kingdom

Ty Antoniamatic (unusual nic) im wearing blue and grey to be neutral ty for the advice

#13 Posted: 25/11/2013 - 17:49

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Thailand, Laos, Cambodia now till end of April ... By keltielarter on 5 Mar 2011 2 1716 8 Mar 2011