Thailand forum

Self service laundry Phuket

• dolicadol

Joined Travelfish
    23rd September, 2013
    Places visited:
    At least 19

Hello
    Does anybody know if on Phuket we can do self service laundry?
    On coins?
    We are situated in patong.

Thank you.

#1 Posted: 24/11/2013 - 10:41

• Advertisement

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Why do it yourself when you can pay someone 30-50 baht/kg to wash, dry and fold it? Just look for signs that say laundry, I saw them all over Thailand although I wasn't in Patong. Guesthouses will often do it as well but usually just charge a commission and send it to one of the laundry places.

#2 Posted: 24/11/2013 - 23:40

• dolicadol

Joined Travelfish
    23rd September, 2013
    Places visited:
    At least 19

Because we have very sensitive clothes and we want to do by ourselves.
    Really does not exist self service laundry??

#3 Posted: 25/11/2013 - 08:56

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

In all my years of living and working and traveling in Thailand, I have never seen a laundromat. This doesn't mean they weren't there, or that they have come into existence since then.

Why not go buy some laundry detergent and ask your guest house owner for a couple of tubs and a brush (if you can use one on your clothes) and do it yourself? Most Thai homes and guest houses have areas for this sort of thing, as well as places where you can hang your stuff to dry.

#4 Posted: 25/11/2013 - 09:22

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

I actually found most guesthouses frowned upon washing clothes and many had signs etc prohibiting it. You don't get your clothes as clean either.

Using the laundry stalls my laundry often came back nicer then when I do it myself at home. I don't have fancy clothes but honestly I would trust most of those places as they wash a hell of a lot of laundry and know what they are doing. Sure if you settle for the cheapest place you might be disappointed(likely use old equipment, cheap detergent and have fewer customers so might put items together) but if you hunt around and find a large/busy business with slightly more expensive but reasonable rates I doubt they will screw it up. A higher end hotel should know a place to do it or offer the service themselves. Local expats could probably tell you a good place as well.

If your clothes are really that sensitive then find a dry cleaning place. They exist, your in a major city in Thailand not some poor 3rd world country.

#5 Posted: 25/11/2013 - 12:47

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

in about any normal Thai HOUSing area there are washing machines for hire- 20/30 bt for small/big loads+ soap etc-which most bring. Mostly beside those watermachines. NO places that look like western laundromats-again you have to adapt. Just to inform you-even Unilever detergent produce got cuaght out: all Thai washing is done in what is here cold water, thus 30 degr. This is in fact common anywhere in the tropics and Asia.
    I really do not see any difference between putting the cloth in the machine by yourself or by someone else............

#6 Posted: 25/11/2013 - 23:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
laundry service availability ... By metropical on 3 Jul 2008 3 1337 13 Jul 2008