Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Krabi April/May

• sarah6969pi-
    nk

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2013

Hi All,
    Am planning honeymoon to SE Asia for next year.
    So far have 4 nights Hong Kong, then onto Bangkok for 2/3 nights.
    We know we want some time on a Thai Beach. We've done the Eastern Islands before and whilst we have not ruled out going back we'd rather go to the Western Islands and try Krabi - I'm aware that the weather starts to change there in April, so I'm wondering whether it is worth risking it for April/May time.
    I know no-one can give us any guarantees weather wise - but just after some info / advice!
    We'd plan to just relax and get in a few days diving.

#1 Posted: 24/11/2013 - 12:25

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Some pedant (like me) is going to point out that Krabi is on the mainland, not the islands. However key beaches like the Railays, Ton Sai and Phra Nang can only be reached by boat, so you get the impression of being on an island. And because only Phi Phi and Phang Nga Bay can go anywhere near challenging the above beaches' spectacular landscape, a pretty special "island" too.

I've travelled the Andaman a few times in April. I don't regard it as the wet season - sure, you may get a few more storms than in say January/February, but conditions are pretty okay.
    Not that the true wet season is a problem. In maybe half a dozen wet season trips I have always had enough sun for a good beach holiday and never lost a full day to rain (although it can happen - just far less so than in the mid-latitudes).
    I was in Krabi last August - better weather than the past 3 November/December Andaman trips - heaps of sunshine and only one day where it rained - hard twice for an hour or so. And August is statistically a much wetter month than either April or May.

Added advantage of May/April - shoulder season or low season pricing will have kicked in for many places which accesses some real nice Krabi resorts for very reasonable prices.

#2 Posted: 24/11/2013 - 18:15

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

you won't get any better advice than from tezza on thai islands and beaches, so i'd put high value into his recommendations. the only thing i'd add is to have a look at the animated thai weather map.

http://www.travelfish.org/weather_fish.php

scroll over each of the provinces you are considering visiting and compare the typical weather for april. just remember that these typical patterns are no guarantee and the weather could be worse or better than usual when you are there.

congratulations, by the way, and have a wonderful honeymoon. cheers.

#3 Posted: 24/11/2013 - 19:11

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Risk what? Thailand is hot and humid year round. After melting in the sun all day youll beg for rain. April is hot dry month and can be very hot. May is slightly cooler but still the heat is the main issue not rain.

Ill never under all the misinfomation about thai weather. Thailand has the odd flood at diff times of the year and people get all scared like its going to rain for 6 mths lol

In 10 yrs ive never lost a whole day to rain and I go mid low season when all the chickens r paranoud about rain. What ut means us the rooms r cheaper and the beaches arent crowded

#4 Posted: 24/11/2013 - 23:25

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

4 star room for 35 dollars a night and 40% discount on tours- thats what low season means. Let the rain chickens pay extra and have crowded beaches.

#5 Posted: 24/11/2013 - 23:29

• sarah6969pi-
    nk

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2013

Thanks everyone for your responses - I was worried we may not be able to dive as a colleague suggested the sea would be too rough - I don't mind a bit of rain at all - in fact a nice cold beer whilst watching the rain from a pub is a very nice way to spend a holiday afternoon!!
    And thanks Tezza for clarifying about Krabi - I thought it was mainland but then reading about boats to the beaches totally threw me! Must pay more attention to actual maps though!!
    I feel reassured and will look into more research on booking something in the area :)

#6 Posted: 25/11/2013 - 13:02

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Unless there is a storm the seas wont be rough. Have done all my snorkelling trips low season and it was sunny with calm waters.

Do people really think they have rough seas for 6 mths? lol

#7 Posted: 25/11/2013 - 20:02

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Stay cool Leonard. The only way people can get a handle on the wet season is to travel in it.
    As you say, true wet season is no barrier to diving, so April May which is shoulder at best will be even better.

#8 Posted: 26/11/2013 - 00:26

• sarah6969pi-
    nk

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2013

We've decided we will split our time between Krabi and Trang as recommended by some. We were going to go to Krabi first (as flying down from Chiang Mai) and then go on to Trang, however I've just read in lonely planet from flights from Trang to BKK can get cancelled due to rain. I wondered how frequently this can happen....has anyone heard of this happening much?
    Thanks

#9 Posted: 16/2/2014 - 13:44

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Trang and krabi airports r both small so bad weather might impact.on flights in both but ive never had a flight cancelled.

LP has a lot of bs in their books and website.

#10 Posted: 16/2/2014 - 16:19

• Advertisement

• sarah6969pi-
    nk

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2013

Thank you that's helpful it didn't say it about Krabi but being as they are both small will do original plan of Krabi and then Trang - it'll be 8th May we're looking at flying out so fairly early on in 'low season' so fingers crossed should be fine, also have 2 nights in BKK before flying home so in worse case scenario can always stay longer on down South an extra night.

#11 Posted: 16/2/2014 - 16:20

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

May and June r fairly dry.

August is the wettest time. Trang town has good food.

#12 Posted: 16/2/2014 - 18:07

• sarah6969pi-
    nk

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2013

Brilliant thanks Leonard - the food in Trang is definitely one of things that persuaded us to give Trang a try.
    Can't wait!

#13 Posted: 17/2/2014 - 14:10

• sarah6969pi-
    nk

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2013

On that note any tips on where to stay?? Was thinking few nights mainland Krabi where we can do trips to islands, then maybe Ko Muk for a few nights and then finish with two nights mainland Trang?

#14 Posted: 17/2/2014 - 15:02

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Tipa resort and krabi heritage are centrally located in ao nang krabi.

Thumrin thana is a good choice in trang. Go for a deluxe room they r huge. Older hotel but good breakfast, nice bar out front. 10 min walk to night mkt. The hotels right next to mkt are poor.

Mook dont know. I visited on a tour.

#15 Posted: 17/2/2014 - 17:19

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Some hotels start low season prices 1st may, some 15th may or even june. They arent uniform. Look at hotel websites direct plus booking.com for best deals. Wotif.com also has cheap mystery deals but u dont know the location until u book and pay.

#16 Posted: 17/2/2014 - 17:26

• sarah6969pi-
    nk

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2013

Brilliant thank you :)

#17 Posted: 18/2/2014 - 13:37

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Have fun and tell us how it went after.

#18 Posted: 18/2/2014 - 17:49

• sarah6969pi-
    nk

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2013

Oh I will - just putting finishing touches on trip now - thanks for all the help :)

#19 Posted: 21/2/2014 - 06:54

• Grubert

Click here to learn more about Grubert
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2014

Centara is currently having a three-day sale; the cheapest rate they have available for the Anda Dhevi is 1590 THB.

http://www.centarahotelsresorts.com/events/thailand-international-travel-fair/

#20 Posted: 22/2/2014 - 00:38

• sarah6969pi-
    nk

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2013

Thanks Grubert - really helpful - especially as we were able to book the Centara for our Chiang Mai bit of our trip!
    One more question for you all (sorry!) - we were looking at splitting our time on Krabi mainland and an island, but we are concerned with it being green season that it may be more challenging to get around to islands and then on to trang. So we're now thinking splitting time between Ao Nanage and Railay, thinking we'll get a bit of our island expereince from Railay from what we've read and can then get a bus on to Trang - has anyone split their time like this or does this seem silly being as we could do a day trip from one to the other so easily? Or can anyone reassure me about travel to / from islands in green season?

#21 Posted: 23/2/2014 - 12:35

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Railay and over at phra nang ( 5 mins walk) the beaches are better but less food options and shopping compared to ao nang. I would pick one or the other.

Easy to visit islands low season. Boat trips to phi phi operate daily as do all the tours. The only difference is lanta boats stop somewhere around may but they offer a bus/car ferry option.

Trang is a short bus trip from krabi. Buses operate from krabi town but any agent can organise hotel transfer.

#22 Posted: 23/2/2014 - 18:46

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Anda dhevi gets good reviews and has a nice pool. I havent stayed but walked past it and it looks real nice. Location is ok. Not far from shops and restaurants.

If u get a deal under 2000 baht i would take it.

U can visit railay and phra nang beach one day. Just buy a ticket for a longtail boat. Phra nang, just walk past the resorts and turn right and follow the path. If u google it on a map u will see what i.mean

#23 Posted: 23/2/2014 - 18:56

• sarah6969pi-
    nk

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2013

Thanks again for all the help! Really useful and I feel reassured - although think we'll probably stay mainland and then do trips to islands - at least we'll get more food options etc.

#24 Posted: 24/2/2014 - 13:47

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.