• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

Hey all,

Doing some starter travel planning and wondering if anyone would like to offer some thoughts on the following.

I've been to Thailand before, Chiang Mai and Ko Chang (and a short stop in Mukdahan), and had considered another trip to Laos, but will be traveling with a friend who has only visited Vietnam in the region(ample China experience). So, we decided to book our tickets in-and-out of BKK and then plan from there. I've always been interested in checking out the Northern Andaman Coast, especially Khao Sok NP for at least a couple nights. So, I figured since we are heading into Thailand anyway we'd go down there and our initial plan was to bum around there for a bout two weeks and then maybe head up to Kanchanaburi if we got tired of the islands.

So, I've looked into this itinerary http://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner/thailand-north-andaman-coast and was wondering if anyone has thoughts on the particular islands advanced in the plan? Particularly Ko Ra and Ko Phra Thong as a compare/contrast would be useful.

Now, all that said, I'm very keen to visit Myanmar since I'll probably be leaving Asia for a good spell this June and thought we might take advantage of being in Thailand to just hit Khao Sok NP and one island for a couple nights before heading into Myanmar (that was a long sentence). I've heard that the Ranong border crossing is now open but have almost no information on if 2 weeks would be enough time to get up to Rangoon and Mandalay, then back over to BKK. In fact, I'm not even sure how desirable a trip that would be and if it'd be better to just cut out Andaman and make it a Myanmar with a couple nights in BKK sort of trip. I've noticed that flights from Mandalay to BKK aren't cheap anyway and it'd maybe be better to do a pure overland loop to really see Myanmar.

Well, you see my thoughts and any of yours are most welcome. I haven't really highlighted my main attractions because I love good food, beer, coffee, nature, history, beaches, mountains, local culture and all in different orders depending on how I feel that morning.

Thanks for taking the time to read this.

#1 Posted: 25/11/2013 - 18:28

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Havent been to Burma but reviews r mixed. Doesnt sound that good apart from a couple of places and people complained about the food.

I really like the krabi to trang area in thailand. Snorkelling, kayaking, caves, hotsprings, beaches and good food.

Burma would have better temples but otherwise inferior.

#2 Posted: 25/11/2013 - 19:57

• caseyprich

Joined Travelfish
    3rd March, 2010
    Location China
    Total reviews: 53
    Places visited:
    At least 48

LeonardCohen - thanks for your quick and always helpful reply.

#3 Posted: 26/11/2013 - 10:23

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

I see you like coffee! try old style Thai coffee called oriang/oliang.

#4 Posted: 26/11/2013 - 10:35

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 71

Hi Casey,

IMHO, if you're going to go to Burma, go for at least 3-4 weeks. If you're really interested in seeing the place, two weeks won't be enough, especially if you enter via Kawthaung. I found that 4 weeks was barely enough.

You'd get everything you like there, though I would skip the beach-scene. I found Burma to be far more interesting and rewarding than Thailand, though I understand things have changed a great deal since I was there. Still, for me, it was the best of SE Asia all in one place.

Just saying that if you plan to go, give yourself more than two weeks. You could easily get from the south up to Yangon and then to Mandalay and back to Bangkok, but it would be a huge rush. Burma is not for rushing. You won't regret giving it more time.

#5 Posted: 26/11/2013 - 10:46

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"more interesting and rewarding than Thailand"

like for example?

#6 Posted: 26/11/2013 - 11:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Itinerary N. Thailand/Andaman 3 weeks ... By garnetbk on 8 Jan 2012 3 1151 11 Jan 2012
6 weeks in SEA: Thailand, Myanmar, Cambodia ... By esseestpercipi on 6 Mar 2014 2 281 7 Mar 2014
3 weeks in Thailand and Myanmar in November 2014 ... By Edinburghgirl on 19 Apr 2014 0 93 19 Apr 2014
Andaman Sea and Gulf of Thailand Islands ... By TheGoose on 9 Feb 2009 1 3225 10 Feb 2009
heading to HOT Thailand - Andaman vs. Gulf side in May!? ... By jkian on 9 Apr 2011 9 3060 22 Apr 2011
Beach In August: Andaman Coast vs. Gulf of Thailand ... By shaka317 on 4 May 2012 2 2194 10 May 2012
Affordable Luxury Villa along Andaman Coast, Thailand ... By reneejm1 on 14 Dec 2013 3 456 17 Dec 2013
Northern Thailand to Myanmar ... By Pocohantas on 8 Jun 2013 1 1186 26 Jun 2013