Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

how to get to perhentian islands from Krabi....

Posted by aliclaredale on 14/8/2007 at 20:30

hi, I need a little help with how to get to the perhentian islands from Krabi. I know that there is a bus to the border - but I dont know what time the border is open until and also what time boats leave the mainland to the islands. Will I have to stay overnight somewhere? I'd really appreciate any help. Cheers, ali

#1 aliclaredale has been a member since 14/8/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 15/8/2007 at 07:14 admin

Hi Ali,

It depends which border crossing you use. Most cross at Sungai Kolok (border open until at least 8pm) and then head on to Kota Bharu, Kuala Besut and the Perhentians. It's been years since I've been to the Perhentians, but last time I went we got from Khota Bharu to the islands in a day easily. Boats leave a couple of times a day and it takes a few hours to get from Kota Bharu to Kuala Besut.

It's worth noting that if you head to Hat Yai first you'll get a lot more transport options than if you head straight from Krabi.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,436
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by rukthai2551 on 16/8/2007 at 04:26

Please please please, for your own sake, please DO NOT use east coast route (Going through Songkhla,-Narathiwat and so to Sungai Kolok) due to the Muslim terrorism activities.

My advice: From Krabi take any transportation to Had Yai, take a train, crossing Padang Besar immigration checkpoint (I believe it closes at 9pm Thailand Time/ 10pm Malaysia Time) to enter the Perlis state of Malaysia. Then see if you can get any buses to Terengganu from Arau Town (in Perlis, train will make a stop here) otherwise try Alor Star of Kedah or Butterwoth. This is how most Malaysians travel to Thailand today by train/bus. We all are trying to avoid east of Had Yai.

#3 rukthai2551 has been a member since 10/7/2007. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.