Thailand forum

Issan Travels

• brendannn

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2013
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 24

Me & a mate will be traveling from Bangkok to Ubon Ratchathani in mid-late December, on our way to the riverside town of Khemmarat.

So far we will be spending a couple of days in Khao Yai NP, but we have no other set plans of other places to visit along the way.

Does anyone have any suggestions of places to see (or avoid) along the way to Ubon? We'll be travelling by bus mostly.

Cheers,

Brendan

#1 Posted: 26/11/2013 - 19:15

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

I like Khemmerat, easy going place. I live in Mukdahan, about 80 km North. If you come up, drop me a line and I'll show you around.

As for things to see, I'm not a huge Ubon fan I'm afraid, so I can't help much. But some guys here know it better than I do and can steer you straight there.

To the north of me in That Phanom is a very old, very interesting temple and I recommend it. Not sure how long you plan on stayin gin Khemmerat though.

#2 Posted: 26/11/2013 - 22:56

• brendannn

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2013
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 24

Thanks Mac.

I was up in Mukdahan last October with my Granddad who lives in Khemmarat.

Life on the Mekong is pretty relaxing. Will keep you in mind if we go up that way. Cheers

#3 Posted: 27/11/2013 - 02:08

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

well-that old faithful the travel-guidebook, has plenty of info on that, incl any place mildly worth seeing. Therec are mostly very long monotonous stretches in between such places.
    Frankly: Isan lacks on places really worth going out of your way to. Temples and ruins tend to look all very much the same and most youngees are hardly interested in them either. Also note: the last week of dec transport tends to fill up till bursting seams. But its OK then to return to BKK- iots OUT of bkk then thats full. Its main asset are its people.
    KYai is not even Isan. It starts with the 1st big town beyond, Khorat. In a straight line you then hit Buriram, Surin (mainly famous for its yearly elefant roundup), then Sri Sraket-then Ubon-then try to go Kong Siyam.
    Or you could travel more southerly, just above Camb. border, which mainly has some old Khmer ruins here and there, incl Pra Viharn right on the border with views into Camb.

#4 Posted: 27/11/2013 - 02:12

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Phanom Rung and Muang Tham ruins are good. Phimai ruins and museum are good. Khong Chiam is a cool town and Pha Taem NP is good. Ubon is a nice town with some good temples. Surin is a decent town with good food.

There's a few ideas.

#5 Posted: 27/11/2013 - 10:53

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

just did BKK - Phimai (for Phimai festival & longboat races) - Nangrong (for Phanom Rung / Muang Tam / Wat Khao Angkhan) - Khun Han (for Wat Lan Khuad aka. million bottle temple; Pha Mo I Daeng cliff near Khao Phra Viharn was closed but has just reopened) - Sisaket (for Wat Prathat Ruang Rong) - Surin (for elephant festival) a week plus ago.

but first, what are your interests? no idea if you like seeing Khmer ruins & temples & ordinary countryside life in Isaan...

#6 Posted: 28/11/2013 - 02:57

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Dont think he is a beach bum if he has chosen this route. Temples, nps and country life is what issan is all about.

#7 Posted: 28/11/2013 - 07:51

• brendannn

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2013
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 24

Thanks everyone for you replies.

Seems like temples is where it's at.

That will be weeks 3 and 4 of our travels. We're starting from Ao Nang then making our way up. I'm just trying to visit some places I haven't been on previous trips.

Thanks again.

#8 Posted: 28/11/2013 - 20:25

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Well you've been here before, so I probably don't need to tell you it has it's own, pleasant brand of nightlife as well. And it's a great place to ride and chill if you can scrounge a motorcycle.

#9 Posted: 28/11/2013 - 22:56

• brendannn

Joined Travelfish
    23rd June, 2013
    Location Australia
    Places visited:
    At least 24

Last time I was in Mukdahan we visited the tower, some of the local markets and had lunch at a restaurant on the river owned by an ex-Aussie. It was quite an interesting day, especially with it being on my first day ever in Thailand. It will be nice to revisit with 'Thai-eyes'.

We're looking at a day/night in Mukdahan on the 26th of Dec, as we'll be heading back to BKK on the 27th.

Phimai sounds like a good place to stop in after Khao Yai NP.

#10 Posted: 29/11/2013 - 02:45

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

That's Don's place. He's got some good western fare.

I should be here during that time frame, so you can find me right here on travelfish.

#11 Posted: 29/11/2013 - 03:26

• froglink

Joined Travelfish
    13th February, 2013
    Location France

Hi Madmac, looks like I'll be in your area soon. I wrote to you some time ago about my book writing efforts. Had a month of hard writing down on Koh Phayam, and am kicking off my Isan/Laos part here in Ubon (hey -it's a pleasant enough town!) and will try to get slowly up to Mukdahan ie up the roads closest to the river in the next few days. Are you around, and can your arm be twisted for a beer/coffee/chat?
    I hope to go via Pha Taem NP, Lakhon Pheng and Khemmarat. Any quick hints?
    All my best, Lincoln

#12 Posted: 4/12/2013 - 06:44

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.