Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Ko Kut to Bangkok

Posted by ebrown12 on 27/11/2013 at 12:57

I will be finishing my SEA trip on Ko Kut and flying out of Bangkok on a Sunday morning. I plan to stay on Ko Kut Friday night and travel to Bangkok on the Saturday, hotel for the night and then airport first thing in the morning. Does anyone see any issues making this trip in a day - i don't want to miss an international flight?

#1 ebrown12 has been a member since 24/10/2013. Posts: 6

Posted by tezza on 27/11/2013 at 17:29

Ko Kut has a sizable local population which needs good access to the mainland and has biggish daily boats to Laem Sok on the mainland maybe 30km south west of Trang. One is an express boat out of the Taphao pier on the touristy west coast and I know of a slow boat out of Baan Ao Salad in the north east. I used the express boat last visit - included in the price was a songthaew which transfers passengers from the beaches to the pier and others waiting at the mainland to take us into Trang for the bus station (they also drop at the minivan station for a quicker trip).

The advangtage of these bigger boats is that they would tend to run almost every day - maybe a few wet season storms stop them but nothing in dry season should be a worry. There are also lots of speedboat services to various Tang coast piers - in dry season things may some days get rough enough to stop them, but this would be very rare.

#2 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,338
 Website 

Posted by Tilapia on 27/11/2013 at 19:06

Hey Tezza,

When you say Trang, you mean Trat, right?

#3 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,491
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by Tilapia on 27/11/2013 at 19:10

And while I'm here ... there used to be a coconut boat that left the small dock near the Sukaphiban Alley bridge over the Khlong Bang Phra once per week. Do you know if it still operates and services the island?

Thanks.

#4 Tilapia has been a member since 21/4/2006. Location: Canada. Posts: 1,491
 Where has Tilapia been? 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 27/11/2013 at 20:28

Long trip to Trang from there. Being high season the boats should run everyday. I would probably spend budget an extra night in Trat or and extra night in Bangkok though just in case of bad weather boat breaks down etc. You could even fly from Trat to Bangkok.

#5 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by tezza on 28/11/2013 at 01:00

Um yeah, tend to get confused around late afternoon cheap aussie red time - substitute Trat fer Trang.
Don't know abt the coconut boat.

#6 tezza has been a member since 13/4/2006. Posts: 1,338
 Website 

Posted by ebrown12 on 2/12/2013 at 07:55

I have accommodation booked for the Friday night on Ko Kut and the ferry leaves the island 10am daily, their website says the trip time is 70 minutes - so it looks like i will make one of the buses leaving Trat to Bangkok - I wanted to get an idea on reliability, if anyone sees any issues making the trip in a day. I guess if the weather looks bad, i will leave the island on Friday and stay in Bangkok (or Trat) the extra night - but if the weather is fine - could I do all the travel on the Saturday without issue?

Thanks.

#7 ebrown12 has been a member since 24/10/2013. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.