Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Ko Kut to Bangkok

• ebrown12

Joined Travelfish
    24th October, 2013

I will be finishing my SEA trip on Ko Kut and flying out of Bangkok on a Sunday morning. I plan to stay on Ko Kut Friday night and travel to Bangkok on the Saturday, hotel for the night and then airport first thing in the morning. Does anyone see any issues making this trip in a day - i don't want to miss an international flight?

#1 Posted: 27/11/2013 - 12:57

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Ko Kut has a sizable local population which needs good access to the mainland and has biggish daily boats to Laem Sok on the mainland maybe 30km south west of Trang. One is an express boat out of the Taphao pier on the touristy west coast and I know of a slow boat out of Baan Ao Salad in the north east. I used the express boat last visit - included in the price was a songthaew which transfers passengers from the beaches to the pier and others waiting at the mainland to take us into Trang for the bus station (they also drop at the minivan station for a quicker trip).

The advangtage of these bigger boats is that they would tend to run almost every day - maybe a few wet season storms stop them but nothing in dry season should be a worry. There are also lots of speedboat services to various Tang coast piers - in dry season things may some days get rough enough to stop them, but this would be very rare.

#2 Posted: 27/11/2013 - 17:29

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hey Tezza,

When you say Trang, you mean Trat, right?

#3 Posted: 27/11/2013 - 19:06

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

And while I'm here ... there used to be a coconut boat that left the small dock near the Sukaphiban Alley bridge over the Khlong Bang Phra once per week. Do you know if it still operates and services the island?

Thanks.

#4 Posted: 27/11/2013 - 19:10

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Long trip to Trang from there. Being high season the boats should run everyday. I would probably spend budget an extra night in Trat or and extra night in Bangkok though just in case of bad weather boat breaks down etc. You could even fly from Trat to Bangkok.

#5 Posted: 27/11/2013 - 20:28

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Um yeah, tend to get confused around late afternoon cheap aussie red time - substitute Trat fer Trang.
    Don't know abt the coconut boat.

#6 Posted: 28/11/2013 - 01:00

• ebrown12

Joined Travelfish
    24th October, 2013

I have accommodation booked for the Friday night on Ko Kut and the ferry leaves the island 10am daily, their website says the trip time is 70 minutes - so it looks like i will make one of the buses leaving Trat to Bangkok - I wanted to get an idea on reliability, if anyone sees any issues making the trip in a day. I guess if the weather looks bad, i will leave the island on Friday and stay in Bangkok (or Trat) the extra night - but if the weather is fine - could I do all the travel on the Saturday without issue?

Thanks.

#7 Posted: 2/12/2013 - 07:55

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.