Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

advice for Christmas holidays

• Malakai

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2013

To escape the cold and wet german winter I just booked me a flight to Bangkok.

It's only for two weeks, so after a few days in Bangkok I think I'd prefer just to stay on one island instead of too much travelling around.

Anybody got some advice for me?
    Is it a problem to find reasonable accomodation during Christmas holidays?
    Right now I have Koh Chang in mind... I have been there before and liked it pretty much at Lonely Beach. (And it is easy to reach from Bangkok...)
    Came through White Sands on arrival and think this would be way too much of nightlife...

If you can recommend a nice place on Koh Chang, I would be very thankful.

#1 Posted: 30/11/2013 - 06:32

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Need a bit more info.
    What type of traveller are you - budget, flashpacker or higher?
    How long is it since you visited Lonely Beach? The place sure has changed since the good ol' backpacker days.
    Have you any aversion to the other Chang group islands - Wai, Maak and Kut? Wai is laid back (if you can avoid the daytrippers which is easy), Maak halfway between laid back and a destination, Kut reminds me of big Chang in the good old days.
    A fair bit closer to Bangkok - Ko Samet. Have you considered?

Of course the elephant in the room is availability of accommodation Christmas holidays. Maybe it would pay to have a look at travelfish's associated joint-booking outfit Agoda to see what's available.

#2 Posted: 1/12/2013 - 00:11

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

why ask here? Da gibt es doch dutzende DE traveller Magazine-zb Reise&Preise-ist hier sogar fuer nur 1-2 eur aus 2er hand kaeuflich zu erwerben. Mit reise-preise gibt es eben ein DE-sprachig reisende forum.
    KC is reported to become the next overwhelmed by the Russky destination.
    Secret that young people nowadays, never known times without handies, do not know anymore: the really cheap accomm is not on the www nor bookable-its just come and see. People get impression that rooms may be ''fulll'' if they only look at www. And if the todays Demo's (dass wollt Ihr DE doch immer so gerne?) get further on, TH will be empty again. Just a threat to occupy an aiport again and all Asians are gone forever.

#3 Posted: 1/12/2013 - 02:25

• Malakai

Joined Travelfish
    29th November, 2013

@tezza

I was at Lonely Beach in 2010 - (and think it might have developed since then in a nearly frightening speed)

Place I am looking for should not be too laid back. That's fine for three or four days... but for ten days.... let's say, I would be running out of books pretty fast
    Of course I'm not fixed on Koh Chang, I only liked the jungle island feeling with the large national park... and I would describe myself more as a flashpacker. I can deal with a ramshackle bamboo hut, but learned to appreciate the luxury of an aircon (and of course a clean place not infestated by roaches).

...and yes, yes - I am well aware of the elephant :(
    But agoda is just spilling out names and names... pretty useless, as long, as you don't know, where you want to go.

So basically... looking for an island not too far from Bangkok - a beach not too sophisticated... but not too quiet either - and the good old waterfall-in-the-jungle-theme never gets old.

#4 Posted: 1/12/2013 - 03:25

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

"a beach not too sophisticated... but not too quiet either - and the good old waterfall-in-the-jungle-theme never gets old."
    Do a search for Ao Ban Chao (Jao) on Ko Kut. Sweet beach, backpacker/flashpacker joints on the river, midrange and better on the beach (although the least extensive bungalows at Peter Pan when I stayed there last Feb were flashpacker) and a waterfall in the jungle about 3km upriver.Lotsa other nice beaches close by - a real easy island to explore, good roads, little traffic, inexpensive motorcycle rental. Another nice waterfall or two more distant.

#5 Posted: 1/12/2013 - 04:25

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Too much nightlife? White Sands isn't busy compared to southern islands like Samui and Phuket. I was on Chang 2 years ago so only 1 year after you and there's still little nightlife on White Sands. There's a lot of resorts though.

Maybe have a look at Ko Mook near Trang. Trang itself has an awesome night market and the Trang islands aren't too busy.

"So basically... looking for an island not too far from Bangkok - a beach not too sophisticated... but not too quiet either - and the good old waterfall-in-the-jungle-theme never gets old"

Why? You can fly to places like Krabi and Trang which takes a shorter time then catching a bus to nearby islands.

#6 Posted: 1/12/2013 - 15:39

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Peter Pan website lists it's cheapest room at 4500 baht. Is that right? flashpacker lol that's more like 5 star prices.

What did you pay Tezza?

#7 Posted: 1/12/2013 - 15:44

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Can't remember exactly, but no more than 1500. Peter Pan had a few Moken-style bungalows on its southern boundary.
    But I just had a look on Agoda - those cheap joints aint featuring for mid January which suggests either Peter Pan has put flasher places in their place or they are booked out. And as you say, the prices of the other accommodation are not exactly flashpacker. But hell, a lot of those are pool villas. I'm a great fan of getting the cheapest room in a nice resort (among other pluses they had free ice-cream at afternoon tea time!) and I was lucky that time.

But okay, I'm sure if Malakai does a search he/she can find something else at Ao Ban Chao. Next visit there I'm going to stay at one of the backpackers' on the river. Those joints have neat dining platforms on piers over the water and guests paddle down to the beach area on kayaks.

#8 Posted: 1/12/2013 - 17:04

• DeeC_1010

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2013

Hi Malakai,

I'm looking for cheap accomodation too in Koh Chang, and I agree that budget accomodations can not be found online, would need to go there and check in person. I'm going to be there around christmas too, so hopefully would meet you there :)

#9 Posted: 2/12/2013 - 07:44

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"I'm looking for cheap accomodation too in Koh Chang, and I agree that budget accomodations can not be found online,"

Not true. I've found heaps of good deals online.

#10 Posted: 2/12/2013 - 07:54

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.