Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Domestic Flights - whats the deal?

• katie304

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2007

Hi, I will be going to Thailand for 2 weeks and would like to visit both Chiang Mai and Krabi (and surrounds). I plan on taking domestic flights between the two and also back to Bangkok. Should I book them now before I leave or while in Thailand? Since I will only be there for 2 weeks, I don't want to worry about availability but also don't want to pay too much. Anyone have recommendations/suggestions? Also tips on the best airline will be helpful!
    Thanks, Katie

#1 Posted: 17/8/2007 - 21:43

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi Katie,

When will you be travelling?

Since your time in country will be so short, I'd recommend booking your flights ahead of time if at all possible. That will hopefully guarantee that you get the flights/dates you want as well as save you time while on holiday. Plus, with many of the discount airlines like Nok Air or Air Asia, the price is significantly less expensive when you book ahead of time. Some people have mentioned difficulty using a credit card from overseas, but I think those problems have been corrected.

Whichever airline you choose (discount carriers Nok Air and Air Asia come recommended as does full-fare giant Thai Airways), be sure to read the fine print on things like baggage allowance, since Air Asia is pretty stingy (as low as 10 KG if memory serves).

I hope that helps. Have a great trip. Cheers.

#2 Posted: 17/8/2007 - 22:22

• smartcookie

Joined Travelfish
    11th August, 2007

The above poster recommended good low-cost carriers. You can also look into the Bangkok Airways Discovery Pass. You can find info on their site. You can save money if you are flying at least 3 legs. Domestic legs are $55 plus $15-20 in taxes. Thai Airways also has a pass for domestic flights, for $169 for 3 legs plus taxes. You have to buy both outside the US. I believe for some, you can change flight times if seats are available, but not routes after you've purchased. I wouldn't wait until last minute. I'm going in November and already booked mine.

Bangkok Airways flies to Phuket, but not Krabi I believe. However, they're the only ones who fly to Ko Samui from Bangkok too.

Good luck.

#3 Posted: 18/8/2007 - 08:17

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

great suggestion from smartcookie on the Discovery Air Pass, particularly if Lao Airways is still participating in the program. as cookie says, the pass can only be purchased before arrival in Thailand, so anyone planning to use this option will need to plan ahead.

i didn't suggest the airpass for katie because she only mentioned two destinations, not the minimum of three required by the airpass. plus, if memory serves, the airpass does not allow duplicating any routes - effectively eliminating a round trip option. while the airpass can save a nice chunk of change for routes like BKK to Samui or flights to Luang Prabang, prices being offered by discount airlines in Thailand and around the region are often a much better deal than the airpass, so be sure to shop around and compare prices before making a final decision. regards.

#4 Posted: 20/8/2007 - 21:46

• planetclare

Joined Travelfish
    13th November, 2006
    Total reviews: 4

I have a question about booking online through Air Asia...when it asks for "issuing country" for ticketing purposes, should you put your home country or Thailand?

Thanks!
    Clare

#5 Posted: 20/8/2007 - 22:49

• smartcookie

Joined Travelfish
    11th August, 2007

"issuing country" refers to your passport # or other ID card # you are entering in the same spot.

in terms of the Discovery Pass, you can do roundtrips without problems. you just can't pass through the same city (i.e. going through it, not ending your flight there) more than once.

#6 Posted: 21/8/2007 - 00:36

• katie304

Joined Travelfish
    14th August, 2007

Thanks exacto and smartcookie for your posts! I chose to go thru Nok Air because they are having a 990 baht special. The total price for all my domestic flights turned out to be $120.00 and will be a big time saver. This special is valid until October 27 and requires 21 days advanced booking.

A potential problem: the flight i booked from Krabi to Bangkok lands 3.5 hours before my departure to the US? Are they often late? I am wondering my odds of missing my flight home... Should I be worried?
    Thanks, Katie

#7 Posted: 21/8/2007 - 02:36

• Jon_Mak_Mak

Click here to learn more about Jon_Mak_Mak
    Joined Travelfish
    21st February, 2007
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 5

I can also recommend Air Asia for the price. I have booked only a few days in advance before with no problem.

#8 Posted: 21/8/2007 - 06:00

• reh

Joined Travelfish
    12th July, 2007

I flew Air Asia as they were the cheapest from Bangkok to Chiang Mai, pretty good airline except I got stung with B600 when my friend and I were over the 15kg baggage limit. Who allows just 15kg? Anyway it hurt but im over it now ...... I promise!

#9 Posted: 21/8/2007 - 16:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
domestic flights ... By klomper on 7 Feb 2011 2 2953 8 Feb 2011
Domestic flights ... By georg066 on 8 Jan 2014 3 744 9 Jan 2014
Domestic Flights ... By BT82 on 3 May 2008 2 3055 11 Jun 2008
Domestic flights ... By potta_boro on 12 Sep 2011 1 1550 12 Sep 2011
Domestic flights in Vietnam ... By lexkssnbrg on 11 May 2009 20 8405 24 May 2013
Domestic flights and booking ... By Thinwhiteduke on 28 May 2009 2 1977 29 May 2009
Domestic flights - in advance or while I'm there ... By akhetan on 30 May 2011 1 3250 30 May 2011
domestic flights in Vietnam ... By deco on 14 Jan 2012 17 3435 21 Jan 2012
Translation please. Booking domestic flights ... By SBE on 28 Sep 2012 12 2408 1 Oct 2012
domestic flights bangkok to chiang mai ... By monikaundsandra on 13 Oct 2009 2 1970 13 Oct 2009