Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Any recommendations on budget Andaman island hopping during Dec-Jan?

• cbg0927

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2013
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Hello all - arrived in Bangkok a few days ago for my first time. Already loving it here. I'd like to head down to the coast and start visiting some islands. I'll probably be doing this for roughly a month before I head north.

Does anyone have any recommendations on budget island hopping during the high season months? I'm a solo male backpacker and am adventurous and don't mind staying in very budget accommodation.

Some islands I have initial interest in:

Coral and Raya islands?
    Ko Rok
    Ko Chang Noi
    Ko Bulon Lae
    Ko Kho Khao
    Ko Lipe
    Ko Muk
    Ko Libong
    Any budget options on Ko Ngai
    Ko Kradan (can anyone attest to staying out here overnight rather than daytripping?)
    Ko Kut
    Ko Lok
    Ko Lao Liang
    Would love some suggestions on some budget and beautiful options in Pha Ngan as well (not too interested in the full moon madness)
    Similan islands?

Obviously I won't be hitting this many islands - ideally I'd like to pick a handful. Anyone have any luck budget traveling on any of these?

Cheers!

#1 Posted: 7/12/2013 - 23:02

• Advertisement

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Of the islands you mention, the best for a real low budget are Ko Chang Noi and Ko Bulon Lae. You should be able to find basic huts (no electricity at night) in the 400 baht neighborhood on either. Bulon can be reached by island hopping speedboats but Chang Noi can only be reached from Ranong.

In the 600 to 800 baht range (give or take), Ko Muk , Ko Libong and Ko Kradan should all have fan accommodation. Rubber Tree on Ko Muk is good. I've stayed overnight at Wally's Paradise Lost on Kradan and had a great experience, but it's small and popular so you should probably get in touch ahead of time to reserve something. The other places to stay on Kradan are at least 1,000 baht per night I believe.

Personally I'd pick Ko Phra Thong over Ko Kho Khao (they're neighbors). Phra Thong has basic huts in the same budget league as Chang Noi and Bulon, and I found it to be a really interesting island. Kho Khao is quite pricey for the most part, and the scenery / beaches are comparable if not better on Phra Thong. Ko Ngai is also one of the pricier islands -- it is beautiful but I'd probably skip it in favor of Kradan or Lipe as a solo traveler.

Ko Lao Liang might not be a bad spot if you're into the whole "package island adventure" idea. I believe it's a flat rate for accommodation and food, though I think you have to pay more for activities and transport, so it wouldn't be ultra-budget. Similans (and also Ko Surin) get pricey because you have to pay a tour company to speedboat you there, plus the national park fees. Really beautiful place but can perhaps get boring if you're overnighting b/c there's only the national park restaurant, the islands are really small and the national park doesn't provide the greatest means for getting around them (they leave that more up to the tour companies).

Ko Lipe isn't cheap, but you can find decent accommodation in the 700 baht range. I'm a big fan of Gipsy Resort on Sunset Beach. From there you could also go camp out at Ko Adang for a night or two.

The others (Ko Rok, Coral & Raya, and Ko Lok) I haven't been to. Ko Kut is south of big Ko Chang -- nowhere near the Andaman -- but I've heard great things about it.

#2 Posted: 8/12/2013 - 00:10

• cbg0927

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2013
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Thanks a lot @DLuek. That was very helpful. I'm thinking I might train down to Trang town (ha!) or to Krabi town from Bangkok and will begin island hopping from there. I would greatly welcome any other suggestions any of you might have on some must-see islands in the Andaman that won't break the bank.

#3 Posted: 9/12/2013 - 11:20

• cbg0927

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2013
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Quick update for anyone interested: Lipe was incredible. Planned for 5 nights and stayed for 14. Hostel there on westernmost end of Pattaya beach (Koh Lipe Backpackers) was 500 baht/night, bungalows next door at Daya resort start at 600 baht/night for simple fan doubles. I found Pad Thai and most noodle dishes to be 80 baht and curries/other mains 120 baht. So yes the island is a bit more expensive - but definitely worth seeing. Absolutely gorgeous water, killer snorkeling and an all around great vibe. Only downside is the past 3 weeks I've been comparing everywhere I've been to it :)

Now in Chumphon looking to head towards Koh Phayam, Koh Chang Noi, or Prachuap Khiri Khan.

#4 Posted: 14/1/2014 - 23:59

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Thanks for the feedback. Prachuap is a really cool town. Excellent food there and dirt cheap. Rooms not that cheap though.

#5 Posted: 15/1/2014 - 03:19

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Yeah, thank's for the feedback. Wish more people would do this.

#6 Posted: 15/1/2014 - 04:23

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Never been to Lipe. You make it sound really good. I travel low season so boats r less frequent but if its that good i could stay for a week.

#7 Posted: 15/1/2014 - 05:42

• cbg0927

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2013
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Not a prob - just trying to give back since I've found this forum so helpful while planning.

@Leanard - I think I'm gonna put out a request to couchsurf in Prachuap. 600 baht bungalows while traveling solo aren't my cup of tea. Definitely worth checking out Lipe, I'd imagine things are much slower during low season, but I'm sure the island maintains its overall great vibe.

#8 Posted: 15/1/2014 - 06:05

• Tennouji

Joined Travelfish
    22nd September, 2007
    Location Japan
    Total reviews: 20

I'm glad you enjoyed Lipe. Instead of the 3 nights I'd planned, I ended up staying 11 myself! I must say that I much prefered the quiet sunrise side though.

Some feedback on Koh Phayam and Koh Chang Noi would be great: I've not managed to get to those yet as I keep going back to old favourites.

#9 Posted: 16/1/2014 - 02:04

• cbg0927

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2013
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Sunrise beach was my favorite as well Tennouji - much more scenic views and less longtails than Pattaya beach.

Ended up heading up to Prachuap Khiri Khan instead of the islands. I'm craving some more time in the Andaman, but man the prices here in PKK are really nice. If I do decide to head back south to either of Phayam or Chang Noi, I'll be sure to write something up.

#10 Posted: 16/1/2014 - 04:12

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

40 baht for a duck dish. 280 baht for a kilo of blue swimmer crabs.

Food in Prachuap is awesome.

Beaches arent great and too shallow but the food and atmosphere is so good.

#11 Posted: 16/1/2014 - 05:23

• cbg0927

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2013
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Any place in particular you'd recommend eating here Leonard? Today already I've had the best noodle soup and Kao Pad Muu I've yet to have on this trip. I'm impressed.

#12 Posted: 16/1/2014 - 05:43

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Cant remember names but on the beachfront about 400m south of the pier was a Great outdoor seafood place

#13 Posted: 16/1/2014 - 06:19

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Ao Manao is good spot for lunch on the beach.

#14 Posted: 16/1/2014 - 06:20

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

On Lipe did u manage to walk past Castaway Resort?

#15 Posted: 16/1/2014 - 06:45

• cbg0927

Joined Travelfish
    30th July, 2013
    Location United States
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I believe I did, why? if I remember correctly they also have a freediving school as well.

#16 Posted: 16/1/2014 - 08:28

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Wondering if position was good and the resort looked good?

#17 Posted: 16/1/2014 - 09:39

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Leonard, I've been past Castaway several times since it opened in 2009. Always liked the look of that joint.

Good position? Oh yeah - it's in the southern most third of long Andaman beach. In the past this section was a bit scratchy but my last Lipe visit saw the area just about fully developed with mainly flashpacker/lower-midrange joints and they sure are doing a good job in manicuring the beach. Even better, my favourite section of beach on Lipe, what I call Viewpoint's second (most southern) beach is only 5 minutes walk away. And that gorgeous section of Andaman up near where it curves around to Mountain Resort's spit, is about 10 minutes stroll. So too is the start of Walking Street with the main Pattaya Beach another 5.

Resort Look Good? Definitely - they have some pretty attractive double storey bungalows and a nicely positioned beachview restaurant.

A couple of small points: this place aint exactly budget and you may be able to get better value elsewhere. Plus when it first opened it was hit with some scathing posts on a certain travel forum re high prices and poor service. However I have seen none in recent years and Trip Adviser + Agoda reviews were mainly good last time I looked.

#18 Posted: 16/1/2014 - 15:36

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Thanks Tezza. Their prices drop from 2500 high season to 1000 for garden bungalow low season.

#19 Posted: 16/1/2014 - 19:14

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

That's pretty good for such a place. Relax Resort on the east coast of Phi Phi wanted more than that for a nice but basic bungalow last wet season.
    Nice thing abt Lipe's Andaman Beach is that the wind is off the shore in wet season - very sheltered.

#20 Posted: 17/1/2014 - 06:25

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

actually my prices were a bit wrong. Prices are a lot more extreme in high seasons

Garden View Breezy
    1000 low

2300 mid

3300 high

3800 peak

that's a massive drop

http://kohlipe.castaway-resorts.com/BookOnline.html

they rent out a house too and that drops from 4000 baht down to 1000 baht

incredible variance. island must be a lot quieter in low season

still it's 1750 for beach front low season. rather save the 750 baht and be 20m back with a view anyway

#21 Posted: 17/1/2014 - 19:48

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Yeah, until fairly recently Lipe used to die in wet season. I think the major problem was access - only one slow general cargo boat not daily but a couple of times a week. I understand more recent wet seasons have seen one daily slow boat and one speedboat (weather permitting).

I spoke to a girl who was helping to run a resort on the north coast recently - she said the past few wet seasons had been quite busy on Lipe with lotsa places open on sheltered Sunrise and the main Pattaya beach. The western half of Pattaya would be sheltered by the big headland on those blowy wet season days.

Extreme high season prices seem to be a south (of Phuket) high season thing. The only islands I've seen recently with decent high season prices are Jum and Muk. Haven't been to Libong, Sukorn and Siboya recently. Oh yeah, I forgot good ol' Lanta. Well the competition there seems to keep things more reasonable and you can still find cheap accommodation.

#22 Posted: 18/1/2014 - 02:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Andaman Island Hopping ... By dazedandconfused on 3 Nov 2010 3 3441 5 Nov 2010
Island Hopping Andaman sea ... By Sjors1989 on 6 Oct 2014 4 580 7 Oct 2014
Andaman Islands hopping questions ... By jordyr88 on 10 Nov 2010 1 1237 10 Nov 2010
recommendations for a sail tour, Andaman sea ... By Sightandtaste on 29 Jan 2013 3 2530 3 Feb 2013
Island hopping ... By natje812 on 23 Oct 2013 5 1023 25 Oct 2013
Island Hopping ... By j4s on 5 Nov 2012 0 675 5 Nov 2012
Island hopping from Aus? ... By Rukus on 2 Dec 2011 5 2907 21 Apr 2012
Island Hopping in June ... By beachfunguy on 21 Apr 2009 4 3331 27 Apr 2009
Holiday/Island hopping ... By derekhowie on 26 Jan 2011 2 3877 28 Jan 2011
Island hopping in Burma ... By Barons on 8 Oct 2013 0 861 8 Oct 2013