Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

bang nam phueng

• lavalette

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2013

Hi folks, Just read the feature about bang nam phueng 'floating' market. And didn't get how I can arrive there. On the intro says it's a quick hop from suk, rd. but on the feature says that it's not easy. Can someone pls help? also is it worth checking out? thanks

#1 Posted: 18/12/2013 - 13:22

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Never been. Generally floating markets are tourist traps. Don Wai market is great. Check that one out if you can but it's far from the tourist hotels.

There are many food markets around the city that have lots of interesting food items. Bangkok is a great city to walk around at night.

#2 Posted: 18/12/2013 - 18:18

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

ignore above-just ranting. he should learn to keep his big bak shut if ignorant.
    Depends from where in town-BKK is quite big.
    Its ONLY sat-sun,. as it mainly aims Thai daytrippers.
    In fact its daft easy-once you know how and dirt cheap too from Banglamphu=KhaoSarn area.
    Find the busstop beside the COopstore-Nittayay-curry, wait for red bus 82, most are free, sit it out till the very end, Prapradaeng (shiny yellow AC bus 6 also ends there-different route), now its either taxi, tuktuk, local form of it, OR a clappy old once blue bus looking like from wartimes, nr. is 1010 and it trundles slowly into that half-isle, the ticketlady will point where to get of-where also all urban Thai looking types do.
    Bus 82 also passes near the WongWien Yai BTS. Or the 6 the Krungthonburi BTS.
    Those boats are on hire-and thus with inflated whitey face prices, from a small jetty-lookalike point near Klong Toey port (not a very salubrious area anyway). IF you happen to have a decent map of BKK-it should be obvious, the river meanders with wide loops there. There are brandnew 3-way highinthesky expressways over it-clamping down on that rural feeling. BKK's by now only real ecological hotel is also quite nearby, forgot the name, but if found, it has good ''how to get there'' info.

#3 Posted: 19/12/2013 - 02:44

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Captain
    Must you always be obnoxious? Is it a learned skill? Leonard ventured his opinion, offered some casual advice. The OP can take it or leave it. There's no reason to label him ignorant. He has a viewpoint at least as valid (and I think more valid) than you do.

#4 Posted: 19/12/2013 - 02:54

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

#3:
    BKK's by now only real ecological hotel is also quite nearby, forgot the name, but if found, it has good ''how to get there'' info.

here's the link: http://www.bangkoktreehouse.com/find-me.html

that floating market is open only from morning to early afternoon & only on weekends.

#5 Posted: 19/12/2013 - 09:15

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Captain illiterate, you should learn to write a sentence first before criticising others.

There are markets and street food all over Bangkok. There is no need to make a special trip to a lame floating market.

#6 Posted: 19/12/2013 - 18:33

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

You could follow captainbkk's crystal clear bus directions (come on, just find the bus stop next to "COopstore-Nittayay-curry" - it's easy LOL), but the far easier way to reach Bang Nam Phueng is as follows. And yes, it is a quick hop from far upper Sukhumvit :

1. Take the BTS skytrain to Bang Na station and go down at Exit 2 onto Sukhumvit Rd.
    2. Catch a taxi to tha-ruea san phawut ("San Phawut Pier" - tell the driver you want to go to Bang Nam Phueng if (s)he has trouble understanding at first. Meter taxi should cost around 60 baht.
    3. When you reach the pier, take the mint green cross-river ferry for 4 baht.
    4. You'll arrive at Wat Bang Nam Phueng Nok, a small village temple that's worth a quick peek. From there it's a very pleasant walk through the orchards to the market, but it would be difficult to find your way if you don't have GPS. Not to fear - yellow-vested motorbike taxis will take you straight to the market for around 20 baht.
    5. When you want to go back, just ask another motorbike taxi to bring you to Wat Bang Nam Phueng Nok and do the process in reverse. Motorbike taxis are readily available - it's quite easy.

That's the way that I like to go... Alternately, you could take the MRT subway to Khlong Toei station and catch a taxi to Khlong Toei Pier (aka Tha Khlong). From there you can catch a longtail boat to Bang Kachao pier, which is a bit further from Bang Nam Phueng, but there's never a shortage of motorbike taxis and possibly songthaews headed straight there.

I definitely feel Bang Nam Phueng is worth a visit. I would disagree with Leonard's assertion that most floating markets are tourist traps. Damnoen Saduak is a big time tourist trap, but most of the floating markets draw mainly Thai daytrippers so, while they can get crowded, they don't feel like a manufactured tourist experience. Bang Nam Phueng falls into this category. I agree that Don Wai is a very good market, though it's more of a pain to get there. Lam Phaya is another one of my favorites among the more off-the-tourist-track options.

#7 Posted: 19/12/2013 - 21:53

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

I wouldnt make a special trip to any of them. Best to find another attraction in the area to make it worthwhile. Travelling 90 mins one way to eat lunch and walk around for 20 mins isnt worth it.

Sampran Elephant Zoo is good if you want to make a day out of Don Wai. Otherwise just walk around near hotel.

#8 Posted: 19/12/2013 - 22:36

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Last night I don't know why but this thought popped into my head. I've never been to a floating market, nor do I have any inclination to go and try and find one. Is there something sold at floating markets that can't be found in a regular market? What's so special about stuff being sold off of a boat?

#9 Posted: 19/12/2013 - 23:18

• lavalette

Joined Travelfish
    25th May, 2013

Thanks for your advice and opinions, really appreciate your help

#10 Posted: 22/12/2013 - 10:39

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.