admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

We've just released out latest travel guide -- Bangkok's 20 best hostels which is available for free download in PDF format (iBooks is pending approval from Apple).

The guide contains detailed reviews, photos, maps & contact details for our favourite picks in Bangkok, so if you're not sure just where you want to stay, it is well worth a look.

All the on-the-ground research was undertaken by David Luekens who faced the daunting list of culling it from an initial list of over 50 places to stay.

Cheers!

#1 Posted: 18/12/2013 - 20:23

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Good format for your article. Easy to read. Those bunk bed prices r a surprise. 300 to 400 baht for a bunk bed is excessive for a cheap country. Even though Bkk is more pricey than the north u can still get single aircon ensuite rooms for 600 baht.

#2 Posted: 18/12/2013 - 20:57

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Thanks Leonard,

Yes, the higher end hostels are sometimes of debatable value when compared to other styles of lodgings in Bangkok, but they're regardless very popular with those looking for that kind of scene.

#3 Posted: 19/12/2013 - 19:12

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Do you know the occupancy rates for bunk beds there?

#4 Posted: 19/12/2013 - 19:26

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Places like Lub d and NapPark are close to "reservations essential" -- especially the former. The others, no I don't know.

#5 Posted: 19/12/2013 - 19:36

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Must be 1st timers who dont know they are being overcharged.

#6 Posted: 19/12/2013 - 19:57

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Occupancy rates seem to vary widely from hostel to hostel. This doesn't seem to be based on quality or value so much as a certain hostel "catching on". As mentioned, NapPark is a fairly big hostel that I found to be seriously questionable value (cheapest dorms are 400++), but it's usually close to capacity. Other places that I found to have quality accommodation and good value, like S1, for example, don't seem to be getting all that many customers. But on the whole, I was surprised with how popular the majority of hostels are considering, as you say Leonard, a solid air-con room with ensuite can be had for 600, and 300 or less will get you a basic private air-con room with shared bath, at least in the KSR vicinity.

#7 Posted: 19/12/2013 - 21:22

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

Some of the ''populair'' ones are either touted via local-lingo boards (there is much, much more in this world as just angkrit, nah?) and some are paying more commission to the sites as Hostelbookers to get more customers pressed into. Just see where Koreans and now those funny mainland Chinese tend to go to-they outnumber you Ozzies by the 100!
    Indeed prices are quite high-often more as in KUL (where one gets many more freebies thrown in) or even eastern_europe.
    I often pass by places like that NapPark etc. and I see that most youngees are just sitting there, gazing their fones/pads and mainly doing what hostels have always been for youth: chasing the opposite sex. I also think that those set up by Indians tend to be very poor value and too blantantly look like printthemoney factories.

#8 Posted: 20/12/2013 - 01:57

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Must be good marketing and website. The value places dont have the nice website to get people in.

#9 Posted: 20/12/2013 - 02:35

• annurao

Joined Travelfish
    24th December, 2013

Thanx (somtam) for sharing this post. :)

#10 Posted: 24/12/2013 - 03:08

• Advertisement

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.