Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

How long?

• Si84

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2007

Hi guys,

I want to go travelling around Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Vietnam next year and will have saved enough money to go for (based on budgets I have seen here and elsewhere) 2 years without having to work. This would involve leaving June (ish) 2007.

Originally I planned on working in the UK till Feb 2008 and saving up even more money which would allow me to travel for longer but really don't want to wait an extra 8 months before I go.

My question is what would you guys do? I'm really torn!

I can see the sense in saving even more money and going for longer (or possibly other countries after) but I really do no think I can wait that long just sitting here doing the same old thing whilst life flies by!

Just after some opinions from like minded people please.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 21/8/2007 - 21:35

• Advertisement

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Hello,

I am planning on the same kind of trip. I am leaving to go on October 8th this year. With only 48 days to go I feel very anxious. I couldn't imagine having to wait any longer!

It sounds like you have a lot of money saved up, so go now! I have been there and it is so cheap.

I am working on my own budgeting and I am curious how much you are planning on spending per day. I would love to compare our budgets either on this board or through email. Let me know!

Thanks

#2 Posted: 21/8/2007 - 22:51

• Si84

Joined Travelfish
    7th July, 2007

How long are you planning on going away for? Are you travelling by yourself as well?

The majority of my funds is coming from the sale of my house. Have decided I am not a 9 to 5 office kind of guy and want to go and see the world. I travelled Australia 4 years ago but now want to do South East Asia (certainly for a year or two to start with anyway).

I saw this on another website:

"I reckon that what you spend is Thailand will very probably be your personal "average" for SEA - and the average across independant travellers in Thailand, and in the region in general, seems to be USD25/day - that's:
    solo - less if you're sharing a room (say ~40USD/day/2pax)
    travelling by bus, train, boat
    staying in fan rooms with attached cold shower / toilet
    excluding flights, insurance, visas
    in round figures, that's about...

EUR: 25/day, 750/month
    GBP: 16/day, 500/month
    CAD: 40/day, 1200/month
    AUD: 46/day, 1400/month
    ...or, very roughly, per day: 1000 Baht; 100 Ringgit;44 Singapore Dollars; 225K Indonesian Rupiah"

also

"Laos
    accomodation - £1.50 - 5 for budget
    food (per day) - £2 - 5 for 2 meals a day
    beer - £0.50 - £0.70 for one (unless you go to a bia hoi - they cost 7p for a glass!)

Vietnam
    accomodation - £6-10 for budget
    food (per day) - £2 - 6 for 2 meals a day
    beer - £0.70 - £1 for one (unless you go to a bia hoi - they cost 7p for a glass!)"

Hope that helps!

#3 Posted: 21/8/2007 - 23:55

• mattocmd

Joined Travelfish
    13th June, 2007
    Location United States

Were in the same situation. I graduated college and took a 9-5 job for a large corporation and I hate it. I studied abroad in Australia in 2004, while there I randomly went with a German friend to Thailand. It was only for a week so I have been wanting to go back...

I am bringing a female friend for 2 weeks. She is going home, but I am staying. My plans are to visit SE asia for a few months. I have enough to stay for about 6 months. From there I am going to head to Korea to teach ESL.

#4 Posted: 22/8/2007 - 01:17

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.