Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Pricing for Kayak and island tours in Ao Nang

• sunnylegs

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2013

We are in Ao Nang now for 5 days and want to book some tours and want to get some general idea of prices. I got ripped off by one tour company and found that not everyone paid the same so a little skeptical at the moment...

What we are looking for is a full day kayak tour where we can paddle ourselves and see caves, mangroves and gorgeous lagoons. Heard Bor Hor in Phang Nga is great and Thalen Bay..?

Have also heard these are good sights too:
    Crystal Lagoon and hot springs
    Ko Hong - tour? Day trip?
    Poda and Gai Islands
    James Bond Island...worth it?
    Tha Lane Bay tour...good?
    Tab Kak Hang Nak Hill Nature Trail? Good? Can you on your own or need guide?
    Tiger Cave Temple - worth seeing?

Any recommendations welcome and where to book with approx prices would be great

Much Thanks!

#1 Posted: 20/12/2013 - 22:12

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Both Thalen Bay and Bor Thor are good. TB is closer with excellent mangroves while BT has caves and rock art. I paid less than 1000 baht but high season they charge more. Simply walk around and get 2 quotes. Not hard.

Crystal lagoon and hot springs are great.

Ko Hong is awesome so do that tour too.

Phi Phi tour is worth it too.

Never bothered with James Bond island

#2 Posted: 21/12/2013 - 02:18

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Prices r not fixed in Thailand. U need to bargain. Not hard and good fun.

#3 Posted: 21/12/2013 - 02:21

• sunnylegs

Joined Travelfish
    11th September, 2013

Thanks! We booked a full day Bor Tor and bargained to $900B and have a full day planned.

Looking forward to it

#4 Posted: 21/12/2013 - 09:00

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

900 baht is a fair price. Enjoy.

#5 Posted: 21/12/2013 - 15:42

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I'll add my 20 cents worth:
    I did the Ko Hong (south - there are 2 Ko Hongs in the bay) out of Ao Nang last August. One of the many speedboat tours offered around town - forget the price but it was pretty reasonable. I thought the whole day was real good although I reckon the southern bay is not as spectacular as the northern and central-west.

I have done the latter twice - both included James Bond Island which is a bit of a tourist trap although the immediately surrounding landscape is pretty good. Fortunately the number of visiting boats mean a maximum of 20 minutes here and the rest of the day is given to cruising around or calling in at other islands or checking the narrow mangrove channels close to the coast. The actual itinerary varies depending on who you book with - my last trip was with Mr Kean out of his office in Phang Nga town bus station: an advantage of his trip is that his relatively small longtail can get into a lot of the smaller areas the bigger boats out of Phuket can't access - and the time saved not having to get to and from Phuket means he can cruise around the bay rather than hurry. He also organised an optional overnight stay on the piered town at Ko Panyi for a bargain sum.

I have done the Ko Poda/Hen and Chicken island trip out of Railay/Ao Nang several times a fair bit back and found them pretty good with some okay snorkelling and nice beach time. But two fellow passengers on last August's Ko Hong trip said they had done it the day before and it was terrible: overcrowded, poor value and the rubbish on the beaches was disgraceful. They said the Ko Hong trip was much more enjoyable.

#6 Posted: 21/12/2013 - 22:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.