Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Thailand Coffee Farm

• stever1000

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2013

Has anyone been on a coffee farm tour? I have some free time in Northern Thailand and would like to learn more about coffee.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 24/12/2013 - 18:03

• Advertisement

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

Not sure when they'll next be organising a 'coffee journey' to their farm:
    https://www.facebook.com/akhaama
    http://www.akhaama.com/events/557/
    But to learn more about coffee, you can just talk to Lee at either of his 2 cafes in Chiangmai (most of the time he will be at this one: http://www.akhaama.com/about-cafe/directions/)

#2 Posted: 24/12/2013 - 18:42

• stever1000

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2013

Thanks, I saw that website and contacted them again regarding the next date.

Are most coffee farms private (don't allow tourists to visit) or could I arrange with any company to have a look?

#3 Posted: 9/1/2014 - 18:14

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

This is something that I've also been wanting to do for some time but haven't gotten around to yet. I'm pretty sure that most coffee and tea farms are happy to have visitors. My guess - so, yeah, not certain at all here - is that you can just show up in Chiang Rai and either visit farms yourself by motorbike, or ask around at the cafes until you find a guide to take you. If you'll be in Bangkok first, stop by Gallery Drip in the Bangkok Art & Culture Center; the owners have traveled the northern Thai coffee farms extensively and they're happy to share their experiences when they're not too busy. One of them also put together a great book of photographs that documents coffee production in northern Thailand.

If you end up doing it, any reports would be much appreciated.

#4 Posted: 9/1/2014 - 22:52

• wanderingcat

Joined Travelfish
    21st October, 2006
    Total reviews: 4
    Places visited:
    At least 67

not sure how 'private' they can be...those coffee farms i know of in north Thailand are not large scale fenced up plantations run by companies, but small holdings by individual farmers/villagers. there are farms in places like Doi Chang, Doi Wawee & Doi Laan in Chiangrai province (area south of the Mae Kok river, west of the Chiangrai-Chiangmai highway & east of Phrao), & Mae La Noi in Mae Hong Son province (where Starbucks used to source from, but heard that they no longer do). but access to such places can be tricky e.g. the last 30+ KM to Akha Ama's farm (the owner's village) is steep mountainous dirt road that can be impassable in the rainy season (villagers do die in accidents coming down that road). if you have a motorbike & can handle it on such dirt roads (or a 4WD) then it's easier to visit them by yourself.

a write-up on the Coffee Journey: http://blog.ohheyworld.com/a-little-story-a-journey-to-find-what-sustainable-coffee-really-means/

many tea plantations in Mae Salong that are all set up to welcome visitors, but think coffee is your focus?

#5 Posted: 10/1/2014 - 15:15

• stever1000

Joined Travelfish
    7th January, 2013

I fly into chiang mai, but I will still check out Gallery Drip for further reference.
    Seems like I will just go around and see what I can arrange when I arrive. I contacted them about the coffee journey but it doesn't line up for my dates while I am there.
    I love tea plantations, but I really want to see coffee plants.

Thanks for the help and information :)

#6 Posted: 19/1/2014 - 02:14

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Coffee journeys with Akha Ama Coffee, Chiangmai/Chiangrai ... By wanderingcat on 10 Dec 2010 0 2197 10 Dec 2010