Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Protests / Where to Stay

• ktothej

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2013

Hi All,

First post here, thanks for the knowledge you all impart, I've been doing a considerable amount of reading.

I'm looking for some opinions on the protests and where to stay to best avoid them in Bangkok. My wife and I will be in Bangkok for 3 days 12th - 15th of Jan then again on the 30-31, I currently have accommodations booked on Samsen Rd in Banglamphu area. Based on Richard Barrow's map of the protest areas, it seems a bit close to the zone around the Government House so I'm considering cancelling and booking elsewhere. What are your thoughts on that area, reason to be concerned or not? What area would you best recommend staying in Bangkok to avoid getting caught up in the protests?

For those unaware, the maps I speak of:
    http://www.richardbarrow.com/2013/11/map-of-protest-sites-in-bangkok-in-november-2013/

Thanks for your time.
    Keith

#1 Posted: 27/12/2013 - 13:33

• Advertisement

• MikeTV

Joined Travelfish
    6th December, 2011

My Brother and I will be in Bangkok Jan. 4-6, with a hotel booked on Khao San road. Is there any reason to book a hotel elsewhere? We're using Bangkok as a gateway to Burma and will return on the 29th for a little beach time (Koh Chang) then fly home to the states on Feb. 5th.

Any advice from people in Bangkok right now? How difficult is it to travel via taxi to and from the airports? Are there any major protests planned during the polling date of Feb. 2nd that may make it difficult for us to get home?

We're on our way regardless...just looking for a little 'on the ground' wisdom.

Thanks!

Mike

#2 Posted: 27/12/2013 - 14:49

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

It's a little difficult to say with any certainty -- primarily due to the protests moving around a lot and the overall situation liable to change at short notice.

I'd be inclined to stick with either a Samsen (ktothej) or Khao San (MikeTV) reservation for the following reasons:

a) Most importantly you're walking distance to the Chao Phraya Express boats which, while they may get extremely crowded and are not overly suitcase friendly, do bring large stretches of the city within reach and the protesters are yet to launch waterborne dramas!

b) The Khao San Road area (and Samsen for that matter) have not seen protests directly in that area -- though they have been quite close.

c) There is no area that hasn't been affected except perhaps for Chinatown. Sukhumvit, Siam and Silom/Sathorn have all been shut down at one time or another already.

d) You already have a reservation.

We ran a story last week by our man in Bangkok which you can read here - at the moment we stand by the advice given there.

However, this is a extremely changeable situation and I'm not going to make any kind of forecasts for Feb 2 as there's a whole month between now and then and, well, anything could happen.

We're also keeping readers updated on the Travelfish Facebook page here.

Cheers

#3 Posted: 27/12/2013 - 16:03

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Ksr is a dump. Better to stay around victory monument near skytrain. KSR is close to the protests and no skytrain there. Crappy food there and its fake Thailand there.

Do u want real stuff or fake tourist ghetto?

#4 Posted: 28/12/2013 - 03:05

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

Sukhumvit is even more fake TH with overpriced crappy food (but geared to western taste) and overdoses of Arabs, hookers, yet more prossies and ladyboys and ''hey dahling I go with you'', fake Burmese vendors of fake made-in-China ''souvenirs''. Now keep stop this parrotting and wine about your lost Susanna-she will not come back when you keep on this record with a crack that keeps on repeating itself.

#5 Posted: 29/12/2013 - 07:33

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

That is why i didnt recommend Sukhumvit. Though it does have much better restaurants than KSR.

#6 Posted: 29/12/2013 - 19:27

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Ekamai rd has some quality Thai food including Issan and Northern style food.

#7 Posted: 29/12/2013 - 19:29

• ktothej

Joined Travelfish
    25th November, 2013

Food aside, this is exactly the type of info I was looking for thanks. Due to the organized "Bangkok Shutdown" scheduled for Monday January 13th (and lasting 5-20 days), I've decided to bypass Bangkok to start and head straight up to Chiang Mai. It seems we have impeccable timing as that's literally the day after our arrival. Dangerous or not, I don't want to speculate nor do we feel like spending our initial days stuck in gridlock (although it sounds like this is a common occurrence!). Hopefully things will be tempered by the time we return to Bangkok for our departure and we can spend a few days checking it out.

#8 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 08:54

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.