Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Budget Accomodation near Soi Cowboy/ Asok BTS

• Vaishali

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2013

Hi,

Does anyone know of Budget Accomodation near Soi Cowboy/ Asok BTS which may not be available for online booking. We are 3 adults and dorm is fine too.

Thanks

#1 Posted: 29/12/2013 - 02:40

• Advertisement

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

Well well,

I stay frequently in this area, around 4 to 6 times a year and almost call it my home. But finding a real budget hostel might be a tough thing. All places I know are listed on websites like agoda, booking, asiarooms and whatever. Since Asok is really central, it is not the best location for pure budget hostels. If you wanna stay budget, you might have to look around in other districts, or if you focus on Asok, think about your budget. Sometimes you can get a good deal online at the Tune Hotel. The Lodge at Soi 19 might have a good deal also.

So far, while stralling through the streets in the neighbourhood, I have not seen a buget guesthouse which I could recommend. Either I book at Citadines on Soi 16 for short stay or I rent a room on Soi 19 for long term stay.

Anyway, keep my fingers crossed for you, maybe someone else might be able to help you.

#2 Posted: 30/12/2013 - 02:32

• Vaishali

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2013

Freiburger,

I am willing to look around in other districts. This is my 1st trip to Thailand and I don't know which districts to look at. Anything connected to ASok by MRT or BTS is ok. Can u suggest anything.
    Does Tune Hotel or The Lodge have their own website? Where to look them up?

Pls help!

#3 Posted: 30/12/2013 - 03:02

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

For tune hotels it is tunehotels.com and for the City Lodge on Soi 19 I am not sure if they run an own website, but they are listed on all major booking sites.

So if you are flexible when it comes to location, you may have a look around Banglampoo with the major streets Khao San and Soi Rambuttri. Lots of budget accomodation is available there and alot of information is available here in this forum or on the facebook site of travelfish. Just search a little. Only thing about Banglampoo area, public transportation is a little difficult. If you stay close to MRT or BTS it is much easier to get around in town. That is why I prefer Asok, there is BTS and MRT. But on the other hand, most interesting sites are close to Banglampoo. It is a short walk from Khao san to the Palace or Wat Pho (be careful when it comes to walking distances, I am German and not US American) and most interesting sites can be easily reached with the water taxi. So you have to figure out for yourself what is best for you.

You might also check around Chatuchak area or Lat Phrao for some good deals, but this is a little out of the standard backpacker areas.

About what budget are we talking here by the way?

#4 Posted: 30/12/2013 - 03:37

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

If you need something to start with:

If you really like cheap rooms and all the things that come with cheap rooms have a look at theoverstay.com . This budget "something" is on the other side of the river, so if you wanna go for the sites, you have to cross the river with the ferry. A little difficult with public transport, since the taxi drivers are not really used to Farangs. A few times I had really some trouble telling the driver where to go, even in Thai.

On the other hand, have a look around Udee Hostel at Saphan Kwai station. With the BTS you are flexible in Bangkok and are in a couplf of minutes at Asok station.

Another good source of information is tripadvisor. Or read through the potsts here, some weeks ago there was a thread with some budget accomodation around Nana BTS station.

So first thing to do is, male yourself clear where you wanan stay and then look for some budget accomodation.

Sorry for not beeing more precise, but my budget traveller time is past since a while :-) So my experince is a little outdated. meanwhile I prefer places like the Citadines, with a park nearby for workout, a pool, a gym and of course for the coffee I can do on my own in my appartment :-)

#5 Posted: 30/12/2013 - 03:55

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

A couple of places spring to mind that are reasonably close to Asok/Cowboy.

PS Guesthouse (Soi 8)
    HI Bangkok Centre

I've stayed in the latter a couple of times and while no great shakes, is quite affordable for the area. PS I've not stayed in but have inspected and it was great value. I say was as there has been a lot of construction on Soi 8 from memory and it may well be gone -- have to get dluek to go check it out!

Cheers

#6 Posted: 30/12/2013 - 06:32

• Vaishali

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2013

Hi Somtam 2000 and freiburger,

Thank you for your replies.
    All options provided by u are upward of 1000 THB per night.
    The below hotel is costing me 700 THB for 3 persons with ensuite toilet.

Thanks

ORCHID HOUSE
    Address: 77 Sukhumvit Soi 4 (Nana Tai) Klongtoey, BKK 10110
    Tel: (+66 02 656-7227, +66 02 656-7228)Location: Located on the left side opposite the BSB international school.

#7 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 01:53

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

Where did you get these prices?

The dorm at overstay costs 100 Baht per person and the dorm at Undee Guesthouse is 360 per Person. If you book a 3 bed private room with ensuite bathroom at Udee it is 550 Baht in February and you are not in (sorry) sh*tty Nana.

So check again the room prices and compare the rooms. I had a look at Orchid and these rooms do really look kind of weired for the price you pay.

At Citadines I pay 1100 Baht (with member card) for a 1 bed room appartment.

#8 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 06:18

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

Freiburger
    You don't like Nana? Since the OP wanted to stay close to Soi Cowboy, you don't know, maybe Nana is what he's looking for.

Personally I do find it over the top myself as well, and I've only walked by it. But to each his own.

#9 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 06:55

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

Yep Madmac, you can like it or hate it, but since OP mentioned that it is not so very important where the guesthouse is located, I just wanted to point out that Nana might not be the best neighbourhood when it comes to guesthouses and hotels.

Asok is just next so Soi Cowboy but still it is a pleasant neighbourhood, but Nana is just Nana. A nightmare to walk there at night.

And when it comes to value for money, I think the suggested Orchid guesthouse is not really first choice. You can get better rooms for 700 Baht or add a little more and get a whole appartment at Asok.

Me, I love Asok. I have my hotel, my restaurants, my laundry, postoffice and so on. It feels like second home for me. Whereas Nana is just nightlife. But just my humble opinion.

#10 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 09:55

• Advertisement

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"A nightmare to walk there at night."

In terms of naughty nightlife, if Thailand is Mecca, Nana is the kaba.

#11 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 09:57

• Vaishali

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2013

We have reserved 2 hours for Soi Cowboy and 1 hr at NEP with an aim to savor Bangkok's nightlife. We are not kinky. Just we are going there and heard a lot about the nightlife so thought of seeing it.
    Our budget for a room is measly (to be v honest here as our trip is very long and hotels are already costing us over 2000 U$D) so there is not much money left at my disposal.
    All I can spend is 700 THB for the room hence chose Orchid. We are only going to use the room to crash and don't need any facility except cleanliness and hopefully a hot shower.
    Sukhumvit Rd. turns into Ploenchit Rd. just below Soi 1, there are quite a few hotels in that area and right off it on Soi Langsuan. But I don't know the names/contact of a budget hotel.
    Next to the Orchid Inn is the Happy Inn which has rooms with A/C, private toilet, TV and safety box for 600 baht. But I don't know how to contact Happy Inn.Business Inn on Sukhumvit Soi 11/1 (where the Swiss Park Hotel is located) has 600 baht "no window rooms." Rooms located over the office are nicer. Other cheap places nearby. But I don't know how to contact Buiness Inn.
    Now that all of you know what I mean by budget (:)). Could you pls help me? Pls remember we are 3 and most hotels decline us triple room or want a bomb for it when their double room is modestly priced. This is the reason why I am appealing to you all...

#12 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 10:17

• Vaishali

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2013

Overstay is fully booked.
    Udee wants 43U$D for a room for 3 ensuite.

#13 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 10:18

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

I know a good place for 1200 baht near Asoke. There's another one down the road at 800 baht which isn't bad.

#14 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 10:38

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"We have reserved 2 hours for Soi Cowboy and 1 hr at NEP with an aim to savor Bangkok's nightlife. We are not kinky. Just we are going there and heard a lot about the nightlife so thought of seeing it."

You mean savor Bangkoks naughty nightlife. Bangkok and Thailand most assuredly have nightlife ranging from all tastes.

And we don't care if you're "kinky" or whatever. Whatever floats your boat.

#15 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 12:46

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

BTW I like D'Pelican inn on Soi 22. Rooms are 900 baht a night.

#16 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 12:47

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Lol @ just going for the nightlife and not being kinky...

You are asking about the sex district, there is plenty of nightlife outside of the sex district if that is what you are actually looking for...

#17 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 19:20

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

None of the Pattaya regulars r kinky either.

#18 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 20:22

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

good point, actually, since rooms are cheaper in pattaya, if that is what one is seeking...

otherwise, you don't need to stay near nana or soi cowboy to visit them. you can book a room in a less expensive area of town and ride the sky train or even better take a taxi cab to and from, since there are three of you to share the taxi fare. i'd bet that the difference between a room in a less expensive area of town and the nana area will more than cover the cost of a taxi. plus, that leaves you free during the day to visit all the other stuff you wish to see.

#19 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 23:24

• Vaishali

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2013

Exacto,
    Would you know of one such place. I found one Shadow Inn.
    Song Wat Road, China Town, Distt.Samphanthawong,
    Song Sawat Road Left Side Street Wanit 1, Building Number 550.
    How far is it from NEP and Soi Cowboy?

Also for my flight to Phuket I found one place near the DMK Airport as below:We-Train International House. 501/1 Dechatungka Road, Don Muang,, Bangkok, 10210 | 02 967 8550

Is this a good decision? Shall I stay at Shadow Inn?
    Please help!

#20 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 02:44

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Vaishalli
    You're killing me man.

The odds that exacto has actually stayed at Shadow Inn are pretty remote. These aren't major decisions. Personally I would not stay in Rangsit if you want to go to the places you want to go to, because it's not close to squat. I would stay in Sukhimvite somewhere, where there's lots to do in the evenings and just take the sky train to head to daytime sights (kind of the inverse of what exacto would have done). I would sweat a couple of hundred baht one way or the other. You'll blow more on that for lunch if you eat mid end.

Have a good time. Remmember, this is an easy place to get along, so don't feel like you have to plan out every detail.

#21 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 04:40

• Vaishali

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2013

Madmac,

I never asked you and its okay if Exacto has not lived in Shadow Inn but from the dialogue above I figured I would like to speak to him. Do I need your consent?
    Please don't reply atleast when mails are focussed to one particular person.
    You are killing many and not just me ! There is something called protocol.

Thanks in advance for your co-operation

#22 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 05:07

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Vaishali,
    Shadow Inn is nowhere near NEP nor Cowboy - it's in Chinatown -- if you take a look at a map of Bangkok you should be able to see this.

Logistics wise from Chinatown you could get a subway to Asok (for Cowboy) but for Nana you'd then need to walk or get BTS for a station.

#23 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 05:29

• Vaishali

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2013

Somtam2000,
    Thank you for your reply. You are saying that Shadow Inn is near BTS station and hence connected to BTS Asok, hence a good option. Anything that is modestly connected is good. Thanks for being a great Admin and bailing me out!

#24 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 05:34

• Vaishali

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2013

Freiburger,

Thanks for all your inputs and time on this string. Really appreciate the way you wrote and the decency and decorum your mails exhibited. It did not go un-noticed.

Thanks Exacto!

#25 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 05:37

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"I never asked you and its okay if Exacto has not lived in Shadow Inn but from the dialogue above I figured I would like to speak to him. Do I need your consent?"

Nope, it's a free country, so you can ask anything you want to whomever you want.

"Please don't reply atleast when mails are focussed to one particular person."

That freedom also applies to everyone else however. So on an open thread sadly you don't get to determine conditions for discourse. You can always PM if you want it one on one. Comprende?

#26 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 06:46

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Vaishali - no that isn't what I'm saying. Shadow Inn is in Chinatown -- as the address you pasted illustrates -- I've never heard of the hotel, but if it is in CHinatown then it is possible to walk to Hualamphong from there to get the subway to Asok to walk to Cowboy or get the skytrain from Asok to Nana and then walk to Nana.

So, if Nana & cowboy are your prime criteria, then I'd say any hotel in Chinatown is in fact a bad choice as, as I said, Chinatown is nowhere near Cowboy or Nana.

#27 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 07:56

• Vaishali

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2013

Madmac,

You already know that people who talk when they are not spoken to are considered lunatic in the real world.

Ofcourse in the virtual world, you can get away with any conduct because no one can do anything to you!
    Try and put your "freedom of contact', which you advocate above, to practise in real world and you will know that I don't determine conditions for conduct here. All conditions of conduct are determined by your manners and also protocol.

Never mind about my comprehensions. They are far superior to you. Its just that I choose to ignore.
    My time is at a premium. Don't know about yours. I like to focus on OP and never have the eye for anything else.

(There is an old saying in India. Its about the master shooter Duryodhan. He was teaching his disciples (princes) to shoot with a bow and arrow. of his 100+ disciples only Arjun could shoot with absolute precision. Arjun was a 9 year old prince. Duryodhan asked him one day what he sees when he takes aim at a fish hanging on the tree. To this Arjun replied, he can see no fish or tree. All he sees is the eye! )

You are here to help. Do that or don't do it. Both is OK. Just don't hang in between. You know what we call the ones who hang in between:-)

#28 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 08:20

• Vaishali

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2013

Somtam2000,

Thanks for explaining. I understood what you meant:) Thanks a zillion for pitching in !

#29 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 08:21

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Far superior? Umm sorry no that is just flat out insulting to a good LT poster here who knows more about travel then u ever will.

You sure are a very rude person and if your time was so precious you wouldnt spend days here asking the most basic questions that any Thai website could answer.

#30 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 08:34

• Vaishali

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2013

Leonard,

Stick to the OP please. I am here because of the OP and not to talk to you.

#31 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 09:02

• Vaishali

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2013

#32 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 09:06

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

You are the OP.

#33 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 09:25

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

Damn, I just lost a really big answer.

To keep it short. The Shadow Inn is not really good conncected to pubic transport. It is a 15 minute walk to the trainstation where a MRT station is in the basement. Problem is, that because of a big construction site right infront of the trainstation, it is hard to walk there and not to loose orientation. Especially the 5 fingers intersection is a little hard, because the street names are a little confusing depending which map you use. On top there is a big and strange crowd hanging around the trainstation offering every kind of unwanted information.

Did you check the place at google street view? This site street looks really scary to me. I would not like to walk there at night. Other possibility is to take a taxi or tuktuk from trainstation to the guesthouse, but I guess they will charge you 100 to 200 Baht at night for the trip.

Go ahead and do some more research. I recommend to stay closer to a MRT or BTS station if you wanna go for some nightlife. The area around the stations is usually safe, but I really would avoid placed too far away from a station.

#34 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 09:44

• Vaishali

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2013

Leonard,

I thot OP means Original Post. I am not the OP. My original query above is the OP. Pls correct me if I am wrong.

#35 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 10:11

• Vaishali

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2013

Freiburger,

Thanks for saving me from this shady shadow inn! I was nearly going to book it. Not only for the night at Sukhumvit , I thought it may be ok to spend the last and next night before departure to Phuket from DMK as Hualompong is connected to DMK and Someone told me its near Hualompong Station.

My other option for the last night in Bangkok was at We-Train International House. 501/1 Dechatungka Road, Don Muang,, Bangkok, 10210 | 02 967 8550 but Somtam 2000 indicated that finding a taxi from We-Train to DMK at 4 a.m. maybe another nightmare!

So all in all, I have understood where the pointers are leading me that the best bet is a BTS station and around for Sukhumvit SC and NEP rendezvous.

if it wasn't for everybody's help I nearly destroyed my last 2 days. THANK YOU ALL.
    If anyone can think of something next to a BTS do ping me.

Thanks a lot:)

#36 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 10:19

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

Taking the local train to DMK, you need to be really carefull not to miss your flight. Sometimes it can be delayed over 30 minutes. It is cheap, but can be a little tricky. So just get there early enough if taking the train.

Most of the times there is at least one member of staff to speak english on board the train to tell you when to leave the train. At night it can be a bit hard to tell wether or not it is Don Muang or another station. But people are usually very helpfull and at daytime it is easy to see the airport from the train.

I made the ride twice but really prefer taking a Taxi. If you don't get stuck in a traffic jam, which actually only happens from DMK to city center, you pay around 300 Baht for the Taxi.

#37 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 11:59

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Vaishalli
    You're the OP. Trust us on this one.

Now, as for a place to stay: As I said before, I like D'Pelican Inn. It's on soi 22. It's a short walk to Soi Cowboy. It's in a courtyard, so it's pretty quiet in the evening. The bar / restaraunt downstairs is low key. The rooms are reasonably clean, air conditioning, cable.

Here's a link if you are interested:

http://www.dpelican-inn.com/

As for your opinions on protocol or my intelligence, honestly, I don't care what you think. To you your way, to me mine.

Salam.

#38 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 12:11

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

I think the biggest probems he has is that he is quite late doing his booking. Since I am sick at home I did some research on the major booking sites and some other guesthouses I know. But since he needs a 3 bed room next week, this is getting a little difficult if you don't wanna stay in a dorm. And a dorm for 3 people can get more expensive than a room.

If booking 30 days ahead, you can get a 1 bed room appartment at citadines for 1200 Baht. And I think you can even add a bed there. As for comfort and safety, Citadines is my number one. Never ever had trouble with loud neighbours or people on the street.

So Vaishalli, I keep my fingers crossed for you and hope that you find a nice room somewhere!

#39 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 12:58

• Vaishali

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2013

Freiburger,

I am a woman:)
    So, SHE is for me and not HE

#40 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 22:04

• Vaishali

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2013

MadMac,

Thanks for the lead. I checked D pelican. They don't have 3 cot rooms or dorms.

#41 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 22:28

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Nope - they don't. It would be three to a bed, kind of crowded. Honey House Inn next door does have some 600 baht a night rooms. I don't do dorms though, so I'm not much help on that one I'm afraid.

#42 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 22:38

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"Ques: Is there a possibility to find a train to DMK from Hualumpong Station at 4 a.m.? If yes, then perhaps Shadow Inn can work for us."

There's no train to DMK and the internal trains don't run that early anyway. They stop running at midnight and I think resume at 6 am. Take a taxi. Traffic will be light, so you won't have a problem getting to DMK quiickly.

#43 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 22:52

• Vaishali

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2013

MadMac,
    We do need 3 cots. So DPelican is out. Honey House 1 (6/3-4 Sukhumvit 22 Road
    Khlong Toei, Bangkok 10110 Thailand Tel. (66) 2663-7418 (Ext .0) offers a room for 690THB which is perfect but again they don't have anything for the 3rd person. This is where I keep getting stuck.

#44 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 23:02

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Yeah, that's a tough one. Three people for one cheap room is difficult. I travel with my wife and daughter and we almost never do anything for less than 1,000 baht a night. Usually tiwce that.

#45 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 23:11

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

She said she cant afford a $7 cab already. Not sure why she wants to visit cowboy and nana. Drinks cost $6 in those bars.

I suspect a troll. Otherwise its all a bit strange cutting and pasting all this stuff.

#46 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 23:17

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Vaishali - pls don't post material copied wholesale from another site. I've deleted that post.

Thanks

#47 Posted: 3/1/2014 - 00:46

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

I'm surprised nobody suggested SUK 11 which has 3 bed rooms @ 900B (+7% VAT). It's more than you want to pay but I can't think of anywhere on Sukhumvit that only charges around 200B per person and if you stay out in the sticks you'll be paying more for transport. SUK 11 have their own website with contact details and a map. They're listed on hotel booking sites too if you want to compare prices.

This hostel's location ticks all your stated wish boxes. It's within easy walking distance of both NEP and Soi Cowboy and is also near the expressway entrance to Don Muang so it usually doesn't take long to get there in a taxi... haven't done that route recently but I think it usually took around 30minutes. With 3 of you it makes far more sense to share a taxi rather than messing around with slow infrequent trains. There's always a risk that a big protest could totally paralyse all road traffic in central Bangkok while you're there but you're within walking distance of the MRT so you've always got the train option as a backup.

The hostel is 50m from Nana BTS if you want to go to Chatuchak and it's a 5-10 minute walk to the MRT at Asok. Loads of cheap buses go up and down Sukhumvit too.

If you've left your booking to the last minute SUK 11 could well be full of course...it's often booked out. TF did a wrap on Bangkok hostels not long ago so have a look at that too.

#48 Posted: 3/1/2014 - 20:16

• Vaishali

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2013

SBE,
    Thanks for the lead. I shall check it.
    What does below line mean "TF did a wrap on Bangkok hostels not long ago so have a look at that too."
    Where can I find this URL.
    I am leaving for Bangkok on the night of Jan 6 and in bit of a panic now, hence took the liberty to ask for help.
    Maybe SomTam2000 can help me?

#49 Posted: 3/1/2014 - 22:40

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Go to hostels.com or hostelworld.com and search Bangkok for the nights you need. On the left hand side go down to room type and select triple room. It looks like there are triples available during your time for as low as $7 per person and seems to be a fair amount of rooms under $11 per person(equivalent of 1000 baht for 3 people). Looking for a room as cheap as you are don't expect much though. 3 mediocre beds, a fan, in an older semi rundown building probably in poor location(away from things or in a noisy area) and quite possibly without hot water is what you will get for those prices. Since you are only going to be there for 4 nights I would be increasing your budget and staying in a nicer place to make it more memorable.

#50 Posted: 3/1/2014 - 22:57

• Vaishali

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2013

Geer1,

Thanks for replying. I am going to be in thailand for 6 weeks and not 4 nights and hotels are already costing me over 2000 U$D. Phi Phi Islands hotels are expensive as you already know.
    I have a heart defect and don't need AC. Fan is just perfect for me as my body temperature is lower than a normal person.
    I have to stick to budget. I can stretch uptil 800 THB.
    I have already combed through hostelbookers and asiawebdirect and latestays etc.
    When I did not find anything I approached the forum.
    I will try again.
    Thanks

#51 Posted: 3/1/2014 - 23:04

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Bangkok is one of the most expensive locations in Thailand for rooms. The lower end rooms are much lower quality then in most other locations as well. Sukhumvit is going to be even more difficult to find cheap accommodation on as it is a more expensive part of town.

If I were you I would live with paying a few extra hundred baht. You can easily make it up elsewhere later in your trip and if not big deal it only cost you an extra $20 or so... And this is coming from a budget traveller that likely travels for less then you plan on doing...

If you absolutely refuse to pay a tiny bit more for a triple room then your only other option will be to stay in dorm beds. You should be able to find a lower end place that you can do that for 800 baht.

#52 Posted: 3/1/2014 - 23:14

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Better to stay 4 weeks and have money for fun. Phi Phi is small with little to do for more than 3 days so its not just that eating into budget.

#53 Posted: 4/1/2014 - 01:05

• Vaishali

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2013

Leonard,
    try to answer the question.
    keep your loose observations and assumptions in your pocket.
    I ALONE decide how long I want to stay and how much I want to spend.

Are you just replying for the sake of increasing the number of your postings? Do you know anything about Thailand?
    I have not read a single post from you which shows that you are knowledgeable about thailand

#54 Posted: 4/1/2014 - 01:23

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

#55 Posted: 4/1/2014 - 02:06

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

Well said Vaishali.

#56 Posted: 4/1/2014 - 03:40

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Been visiting Thailand every year for 10 yrs.

Never seen anyone struggle to understand basic answers so much.

Amazing if u r not a troll.

You whinge about costs then book for 6 weeks. You r your own worst enemy here.
    Ive given u good advice but you are a poor listener.

You can snorkel pp islands without even staying there.

The best coral isnt close to resort beaches so u have to hire a longtail anyway. Pity.

#57 Posted: 4/1/2014 - 04:37

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

As I mentioned earlier, it is not hard to find budget accomodation in Bangkok, but since she is a little late for booking ahead, it is hard to find real budget accomodation in Bangkok. And don't forget, it is high season, lots of people are on the move now.

If only a room for 2, there are still some private deals on airbnb. But with 3 people it is a little more difficult. There are dorms on airbnb but they come more expensive than the guesthouses mentioned earlier in this thread.

Anyway, keep us updated what your final decision is.

#58 Posted: 4/1/2014 - 05:18

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

"You whinge about costs then book for 6 weeks. You r your own worst enemy here."

Probably too late to change your plans, but Leonard is correct here. Planning around absolute minimal spending for the duration of a stay is just not a good idea. You add stress to what's suppose to be a break from stress.

Having said that, obviously the train has left the station. So I wish you the best in finding what you're looking for.

#59 Posted: 5/1/2014 - 08:57

• Vaishali

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2013

MADMAC,
    Your observations above merit NO REPLY.

There are all kinds of travellers. I assure you there are people in the world who think that they way you travel or Leonard travels is trash. People arrive in chartered flights too and they bring their own cooks.

Wheras some people sleep in the Gurudwara ( and don't spend a dollar on hotels). In return for night stay in the temple, they do service in the temple for 2 hours each day.

Again all kinds of travellers.

You should register to help if you are willing to answer the question of OP. The itinerary, budget, face, nationality or religion of the OP does not concern you.
    LAST BUT NOT THE LEAST, PLEASE BE PROFESSIONAL while replying, refrain from bias, don't jump to conclusions, don't assume and don't advise when none solicited BECAUSE THAT IS THE ONLY WAY TO AVOID irrelevant dialogue.

Even if I had a year to plan, I would still plan my vacation as I have done now. I need more vacation days and not more taxi comfort. I'd rather pay the hotel and sit and do nothing than pay the cabbie. Thanks for your understanding...

#60 Posted: 6/1/2014 - 03:23

• Vaishali

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2013

Dear All,

I have chosen Suk11.
    I am leaving in 5 hours and this is my last post on the subject.
    many thanks for your time and efforts to help me choose.

Namaste!

#61 Posted: 6/1/2014 - 03:25

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

"have chosen Suk11."

The staff don't know what's about to hit them. I wish them good luck.

#62 Posted: 6/1/2014 - 04:09

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

His advice is good and he doesn't care about religion or nationality and it's strange of you to even bring it up. Not sure why you are so angry all the time. MM lives in Thailand and knows his stuff.

"I need more vacation days and not more taxi comfort. I'd rather pay the hotel and sit and do nothing than pay the cabbie"

But you are sleeping in bunks not a hotel and if you listened to the advice you would find out cabs are cheap and you're hardly saving anything by using buses and trains.

Saving 50c isn't going to buy you an extra day. All you'd be doing is wasting a hour stuffing around to save 50c.

#63 Posted: 6/1/2014 - 04:17

• Vaishali

Joined Travelfish
    29th December, 2013

Leonard,
    We are staying in 3 star and not bunk beds and I don't see anything wrong in bunk beds or with people who stay in bunk beds. But I definitely see something wrong with you.

#64 Posted: 6/1/2014 - 04:56

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009

Okkkkkkk, ahhh, yeah. Have a great trip.

Leonard, time to check fire. Target audience is just not in receive mode. Nothing to see here folks - move on.

#65 Posted: 6/1/2014 - 08:41

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Good luck to the staff.

#66 Posted: 6/1/2014 - 16:49

• somtam2000

admin
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Locking this one off.

#67 Posted: 6/1/2014 - 18:32

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

This post has been locked by the moderator.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Asok Montri Hostel - a budget hostel at Sukhumvit area ... By pariyesh on 4 Apr 2011 1 2647 7 Sep 2011