Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

bus from central bangkok to hua hin

• FrenchArt

Joined Travelfish
    6th May, 2012

Has anyone caught the bus from the southern bus terminal to hua hin?
    Did you just turn up and buy ticket at the counter and did you have to wait long for next bus?
    How long for the journey?
    Did the bus stop for a comfort stop, or does it have an onboard toilet?
    Thanks, Art

#1 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 00:11

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Any reason for going to HH? I found it horrible. I went 7 years ago and it wasn't bad but it's terrible now. Only 2 hours away not sure why you would need a toilet stop unless you have a stomach bug. Always good to have imodium handy when travelling.

#2 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 10:54

• FrenchArt

Joined Travelfish
    6th May, 2012

Isn't it funny the way different people like / dislike places.
    We have been to Hua Hin twice before for a week and we are going for 2 weeks in a rental apartment this coming February (2014).
    We like it for:
    - friendly
    - beach
    - beach cafes with a really good covering of umbrellas so that we can enjoy the sea and the warmth, without getting burnt. Also good food and snacks at the beach cafes
    - lots of good and cheap cafes to eat in the evening
    - a couple of English / Iirish pubs if we feel like a change from Thai food. We live in France, so fish or pie and chips are a treat
    - no hassle (mind you that is true all over Thailand)
    - girly bars are low key - not like Pattaya
    - no raucous night life - not like Phuket.
    - shopping. My wife bought a beautiful hand-painted t-shirt on one of our visits.
    - we think it has everything you want, without being too big or too busy.
    - it is a real Thai town. There are lots of expats, but also lots of locals come from Bkk for the weekend

The main road is busy with traffic, but apart from the nightmare of crossing that, I do not think there are any hassles in HH.

I should perhaps add that we go to Hua Hin after doing some energetic touring. Last year it was local trains from Bangkok all the way south to the border, , through Malaysia (national park) to Singapore and back via Malacca and Phuket. This year it will be a 17 day tour of Myanmar, including some tribal regions, so after that it will be nice to just relax in HH for a few days.

Art

#3 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 10:59

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

More like a city than a town. I found hotels overpriced as were a lot of restaurants near the beach. Ended up at the shopping centre there which was the only thing I liked about the place. The beach is all built out with buildings and it's avg anyway.

Pattaya is a dive and Phuket is way touristy at the main beaches.

Much better places to go in Thailand.

Go down the road to Prachuap - food heaps better and cheaper and that's a real Thai town. The scenary is far better also. HH is a tourist trap big time.

"but also lots of locals come from Bkk for the weekend"

Very true but that's a big negative not a positive. Busy roads and the numbers crowd out the beaches.

Thais go to Trang and Koh Chang but they are far enough away from Bangkok not to be huge numbers and ruin it.

I can't think of a single thing where HH is better than Bangkok except for having a beach. Everything else is superior in Bangkok. Even the drivers in HH are more crazy.

#4 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 11:15

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Hua Hin beach

http://www.huahin.bangkok.com/photos/beaches.htm

Ao Manao at Prachuap

http://qiito.com/place/1657-ao-manao-beach

Spot the difference?

#5 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 11:21

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Yes, it's okay to just show up and buy a ticket at the bus station. There are plenty of buses leaving frequently.

There are several trains each day, as well. The two in the morning will get you into HH in the late morning or early afternoon.

#6 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 11:48

• FrenchArt

Joined Travelfish
    6th May, 2012

There is no need to be xxx rude.

I know what I like.
    I know where I am happy.
    If you like somewhere else and you want to be somewhere different that is fine by me, but do not tell me what I should like.

Now would you please stop hi-jacking this post which is about transport from southern bus terminal to HH. If you want to have a discussion about the merits or otherwise of various Thai beach resorts please go and start your own thread.

A

#7 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 11:48

• FrenchArt

Joined Travelfish
    6th May, 2012

Hi Tilapia

Thank you for your reply. I only saw it after I had answered Leonard.

If you have caught the bus - do you know if they have any comfort stops, or is there a toilet on board the bus?

Thanks,
    Art

#8 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 11:51

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Just offering suggestions. Sorry. There's a lot of places to go. Maybe you will try them at some other point in time.

#9 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 11:58

• FrenchArt

Joined Travelfish
    6th May, 2012

Leonard

Thank you, but I have been to Thailand from the frontier with Malaysia in the south to the Golden Triangle in the north, as well as dozens of times in Bangkok. I estimate in all around sixty visits in the last forty years - both for holiday and for work, so I am very aware of what various parts of Thailand have to offer.

A

#10 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 12:03

• Advertisement

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Hi Art,

The last time I took the bus to HH it made one stop in Cha-Am.

Some buses make lots of stops, some make few to none. Some have toilets, some don't. The best way to get the kind of bus you want is to ask at the bus station. There will be someone around who can help you out.

I think there are about 2 or 3 buses to HH every hour and the trip will take around 3 1/2 hours, depending on the bus you're on and the number of stops it makes.

FYI, there are also minivans that leave from near the Victory Monument if you don't want to go out to the Southern Bus Terminal.

#11 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 13:49

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

All buses in SEA will either have a washroom or stop regularly enough that unless you have some sort of disorder or are sick you should be fine.

Wikitravel has some info that might help you as well, I always find they have good information on the available buses/transportation.

#12 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 16:44

• FrenchArt

Joined Travelfish
    6th May, 2012

Thanks Tilapia and Geer for your really helpful replies.

I do not have any particular problems (unless I pick up something bad in Burma before coming to Bkk). It is just that 3.5 to 4 hours is a long time without a stop. Most people say the bus is much more comfortable than the minibuses with more legroom and less crazy drivers, so that is definitely tthe way we will go.

I have also seen lots of good reports on the new HH to airport bus, so will use that for the return journey.

Thanks again and very best wishes
    Art

#13 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 00:16

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

If it is a 3.5 hour trip I can pretty much guarantee they will stop somewhere for a washroom break or else have a toilet on board. Anything over a couple hours usually stops at least once.

#14 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 00:21

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

BIG blue 1st cl bus from Sai Thai, whcih is very far from central BKK, does NOT run very frequent anymore, about hourly. These buses have WC on board and you get free drinks-but noone will ever be able to garantee the WC is not locked.
    Can turn up and go, but NOT on superbusy days-like just passed before 31/12.
    Forget train-very slow, roundabout route and quite expensive, due to surcharge for long-distance. But it seems most fora attract wowsers who also thinks its green or so to promote trains, even when they are clearly 11th choice with utter foul diesel fumes.
    the former 2nd cl bus have been replaced by VANS (minibus) and these do indeed start from central BKK-around the Vict. Monument, used to be in a hospital compound, but has changed recently due to building works- do what seems utterly frightening for most now and ASK-and other minivan desk will now. NO WC, sometimes crazy drivers and accident-prone.

#15 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 07:27

• FrenchArt

Joined Travelfish
    6th May, 2012

Thanks for comfirming the toilet situation. If the loo is locked my wife will either have to charm the driver to give her the key, or ask him to stop at a service station.

According to the blue bus web site:
    http://www.tourismhuahin.com/busses-huahin.php
    the bus times from Bkk are:
    04.00, 0500, 0540, 0620, 0700, 0730, 0800, 0830, 0900, 0930, 1000, 1030, 1100, 1140, 1220, 1300, 1340, 1420, 1500, 1540, 1620, 1700, 1740, 1820, 1900, 1940, 2020, 2100, 2140, 2220
    but maybe that is not up to date?

N.B According to www.seat61.com train fare is ThB 300 - 400 to HH. We have used the trains in the past and found them OK (NOT third class), but this time it does not fit in with the times we want to travel.

Regards,
    Art

#16 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 08:38

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Art, whenever in a situation like this don't argue with them. Guys like Leonard will always keep firing back if you keep showing emotion.

Leonard although he can be very opinionated and even abrasive at times does often make half decent suggestions even if he isn't the most graceful while doing so.

And in all truth, if you have been to Thailand 60 times like you claim I don't see why you came here and asked these questions. Have you not taken a bus in Thailand before? They are pretty much all the same...

#17 Posted: 3/1/2014 - 10:08

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Wasnt rude at all. Last paragraph from Geer applies.

Bkk.to HH is a very short bus trip. It cant be that hard to organise. Some people just cab it from the airport to speed up the trip so if you have issues with toilets you could stop along the way.

#18 Posted: 3/1/2014 - 10:50

• somtam2000

admin
    Click here to learn more about somtam2000
    Joined Travelfish
    21st January, 2004
    Location Indonesia
    Total reviews: 24
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Just deleted some stuff up above - let's keep it on topic & polite please.

Thanks!

#19 Posted: 3/1/2014 - 19:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.