Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Cheap Monthly Rate For Room in Chiang Mai Late January

• monthlyrate

Joined Travelfish
    1st January, 2014

I want to find a room in Chiang Mai from 22 January, for a month. I am having trouble finding the monthly rates. I am hoping to spend less than $250USD for the month, including utilities if possible. I don't want to rent a bike so I would prefer to be near the old town, the moat etc. I have been to Chiang Mai twice before and both times I stayed in the Bliss Hotel or Green Hill Place. They are near Nimman Rd and quite expensive ($350+ inc utilities). So, I want to try somewhere else.

I would feel better about having something booked before I arrive so I do not want to just arrive and find something. It is the busy season, so I may not find anywhere to stay.

I heard DN House is cheap and decent, but I can't contact them online. Suggestions please.

#1 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 19:16

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Most cheapos dont have a website. They rent to locals and expats on the ground. I would have thought 350 a mth is already cheap if its got a pool and gym. If u are only staying a mth thats not bad at all. Other option is cheap gh for 2 days then walk around and ask for mthly rates.

#2 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 20:46

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Total reviews: 47

it would depend on what facilities you need. are you looking for just a room or a room with an attached bath or do you need more amenities like a cooking area, wi-fi, etc.? i understand the desire to have something sorted before you arrive, but i'd be hesitant to book something sight unseen, particularly if i planned on staying an entire month. because of that, i think Leonard's suggestion is spot on accurate to book a cheap place for a few nights and explore the side streets looking for that perfect place to spend those four weeks in the area you want. by the way, don't forget to look on both sides of the tha phae gate area, including closer to the river, to see what you might find.

once you do, please let us know what you found and how much you spent so others could benefit from the knowledge as well. good luck!

#3 Posted: 1/1/2014 - 23:11

• Captain_Bob

Click here to learn more about Captain_Bob
    Joined Travelfish
    27th May, 2006
    Location Thailand

For just 1 month and in high season I doubt you'll find anything pre-bookable in your price range. Most of the cheaper guesthouses rely on walk-in business and those that offer monthly rates usually want a longer commitment plus a security deposit. Just get here and look around the old city area starting at Thaphae Gate. Tons of guesthouses in the lanes branching out from there.

#4 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 01:34

• vbeck

Joined Travelfish
    22nd December, 2013

I stay at the V.S..in Ratchwithi Rd Just past the Irish Bar by the Thapae Gate
    Large room,wonderful bed.T.V. plus mains pressure hot water.
    Bath4800 per month for a fan room.

#5 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 17:59

• RolandCH

Joined Travelfish
    27th March, 2014

Hi monthlyrate

I've just stayed at DN Guesthouse last two weeks. There I met someone stayed there for three month. He had to pay 7'000 Baht per month for a room with fan, refrigerator and even small TV.
    I stayed there already two years ago, and for me it just was ok. But if I'd stay longer in CNX for sure I would have a look for something else.

Look at this (I found on Internet, and she describes exactly how it is): Comments for DN House
    Posted on April 23, 2013 at 05:13:43

The location is great: the guest house is located in a small and charming soi near Tha Phae Gate. The room is cheap, but you get what you pay: small, no windows, not too clean, the fan works or not works, the bed is tired, no top sheet under the blanket, elictricity system - only one power plugin - looks one hundred years and could be dangerous. No windows but a space for aeration - you cannot close it - and so, many noise from others rooms. Internet connection is very bad or doesn't work. You can really find better rooms for the same price.

The lady and his daughter - we think it was her daughter - are fine and friendly, but the rude and unfriendly husband is a complete different story: he doesn't act like a manager with customers but like a policeman with suspects.

#6 Posted: 27/3/2014 - 05:53

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
seeking a low monthly rate in an old quarter guesthouse in Hanoi ... By davoz on 10 Dec 2009 0 1027 10 Dec 2009
Fuengfa Place Chiangmai- Daily & Monthly room for rent ... By fuengfaplace on 7 May 2009 0 2537 7 May 2009
how late is too late to book flights and trains in December, January ... By soccertaxi on 27 Oct 2007 6 2513 11 Nov 2007
Need AC-room in Siem Reap in late December? ... By jubinell on 9 Dec 2009 1 2841 10 Dec 2009
Prices in Late January ... By travelbug86 on 27 Aug 2012 1 1538 28 Aug 2012