Thailand forum

Advice/Inspiration for a newbie!

• GentlemanLl-
    ama

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2014
    Location United Kingdom

Hi all,

I've decided 2014 is the year I actually bite the bullet and do some proper travelling. My plan is to head over to Thailand for 4-5 weeks after I finish my degree in May (looking like end of May/start of June to July), and I have a couple of things that I certainly want to do, but beyond that I'm stuck. I should point out this is day 1 following my decision to do this trip, so I do have a lot more research to do!

My budget is up to £2000. I definitely want to get a Sak Yant tattoo at Wat Bang Phra (about 30 odd miles NW out of Bangkok), and I would really like to get my PADI OW certificate in Koh Tao. I appreciate they are some way apart! I'll be travelling alone.

Could y'all give me any pointers/ guidance on what else to do? Love food and wouldn't mind some cooking lessons if you've got recommendations? Where do you wish you had gone the first time round? Is £2000 even a realistic budget for 4-5 weeks?

Cheers

#1 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 13:31

• Advertisement

• antoniamitc-
    hell

Click here to learn more about antoniamitchell
    Joined Travelfish
    13th May, 2012
    Location United Kingdom
    Total reviews: 3
    Places visited:
    At least 39

Hi GentlemanLlama,

Good for you for making the decision to travel.

Your budget should be fine. If you assume maybe £600 for your return flight, £300 for the Padi course, and £100-120 for insurance and possibly a visa (as you'll need to get a visa if you want to stay more than 30 days in Thailand, or do a visa border run) and that will leave you a daily budget of £30-31 (assuming 5 weeks), which is perfectly adequate for decent budget accommodation, food, sightseeing, local transport, and a few drinks.

In terms of what to do, you'll be spoilt for choice, and you've got sufficient time to explore a decent chunk of country. Your research will undoubtedly throw up tonnes of ideas - have fun!

#2 Posted: 2/1/2014 - 16:35

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Yeah, sounds real good to me. I think your budget is okay, your initial itinerary is fine and after Tao there is a lot of choice.

The most COST effective way to reach Tao is train it to Chumpon (an overnight sleeper will also save a night's accommodation) and hop on a ferry to Tao. Lomprayah's bus/fast catamaran is probably almost as cheap but many people find sleep difficult on buses.

The cheapest AIRCRAFT/FERRY way is also via Chumpon. A relatively new outfit which Google will find no problems is flying into Chumpon. Chumpon is a lot closer to Tao than Samui.[/fred]
    However Bangkok Air and other carriers into Samui have more flights and Lomprayah tends to have a coach waiting at the airport for free transport to the pier. My last trip to Tao this July I took advantage of that although I flew in from Phuket, not Bangkok.

After Toa I'd be jumping on a ferry for Ko Nangyuan. This island is big enough to offer a beach for anyone from party animals to those seeking the laid-back. Tell me what you are interested in and I can make suggestions.

Um, suggesting Phangan seems NOT "a lot of choice" as suggested above. Well it actually is because there are so many beaches. But if A LOT means islands you could always move on to Samui (which despite the naysayers has some nice locations) OR head to the Andaman. Railay/Ao Nang/Krabi is easiest followed by Phuket, Ko Jum. Ko Lanta and Ko Phi Phi in that order.

#3 Posted: 3/1/2014 - 00:47

• tyler

Joined Travelfish
    7th December, 2010
    Location Canada
    Places visited:
    At least 71

In no particular order...
    - Keep things simple - don't plan every day of your trip.
    - Know that each time you travel to a new destination it will take the better part of a day.
    - Don't be afraid to eat the street food.
    - Drink, have fun, but keep your wits about you.
    - Bring cash, debit card and a credit card - stash $100 in the bottom of your backpack for any emergency.
    - Learn how to say 'thank you' and 'please' in Thai.
    - Put everything you think you need to take in your backpack a couple of days before - then take out 1/3 - and leave it at home.
    - Stay positive and keep smiling.
    - Respect local customs.
    - Bring some extra cash for the diving. After you get your open water it is highly likely that you'll want to do some more dives. Depending on where you are - plan for $70-$100US per day.
    - Have travel insurance!
    And...try to enjoy every moment because the time will fly by!

#4 Posted: 3/1/2014 - 01:35

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

Just want to add one more thing:

Why you wanna do your OWD on Tao? Tao is diving industry, lots of people come fast and go fast. From what I have heard not really good for individual treat.

I did my SSI OWD in Ao Nang . LOts of nice and not overcrowded diving spots, good diving schools and individual courses. We were 2 and had one instructor. So we had a very individual course and it was not overexpensive.

So google a little about Ko Tao and maybe you will head for diving to Ao Nang and area :-)

#5 Posted: 3/1/2014 - 05:03

• GentlemanLl-
    ama

Joined Travelfish
    2nd January, 2014
    Location United Kingdom

Thanks so much for the quick replies! I'm really pleased my budget seems reasonable- I think that was probably my biggest worry starting off. I'm meant to be writing an essay right now, so naturally I'm going to start doing my research on Thailand instead. A couple of friends have recommended a load of places to check out too, so I'm going to sift through all of that before tentatively putting an itinerary up on here in a few days. Great advice on making sure I leave enough time for travel- probably something I would have underestimated. I think that's why I'm just visiting one country this time- I wanted to make sure I had the time to really see it and enjoy myself along the way. I'm just after an easy life!

@freiburger If I'm honest, PADI would be my personal choice over SSI. Nothing against SSI at all, I had genuinely never heard of it before your post, and I've always had it in my head that when I start getting my diving certs, it would be through PADI. Also, from a quick 30 min read up online last night, Koh Tao seems to be a reasonably decent, reasonably priced place for beginners to learn. Of course there are a few negative comments, but so far they are outweighed by positive ones. However that's the whole reason for me joining Travel Fish- to gain guidance and insight from people who have been there and done it. I'll have a look at Ao Nang and other areas and see what feels right!

Thanks all for the reassurance and useful advice so far!

#6 Posted: 3/1/2014 - 10:03

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Itinary Advice for Newbie ... By HollyN on 16 Jul 2012 6 1790 20 Jul 2012
Advice on newbie's itinerary! ... By rebeccafarrent on 2 May 2009 16 2006 7 May 2009
Newbie in Thailand, Itinerary advice appreciated ... By thejcw on 22 Oct 2009 0 1747 22 Oct 2009