Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

First time Travel to Bangkok

• mgvivek

Click here to learn more about mgvivek
    Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2013
    Location Malaysia

I am Travelling to Bangkok first time on January 11th, 2014.
    My flight to Don Mueang International Airport on Sat 11 Jan 2014, 0155 hrs ( 1:55AM). will it be safe at this time to go out and get taxi ?
    How much it cost to go to Sukhumvit or Silom area from DMK ?
    someone told me that if i want to avoid the airport taxis, walk to the main road outside by turning right outside the arrivals door and walking past the area where the buses are parked and make your way left towards the main road. You can hail down a taxi there which is cheaper than airport taxi !. is it true ?

Considering the ongoing political issues and protest in Bangkok, will it be safe ? my travel period is from 11th jan to 13th jan 2014 (3 days).
    please Advise. What are your thoughts on Sukhumvit or Slom area, reason to be concerned or not? What area would you best recommend staying in Bangkok to avoid getting caught up in the protests?

Thanks.

#1 Posted: 3/1/2014 - 00:56

• Advertisement

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

At 2 AM in the morning, don't walk around at the airport with all your money and your luagage. Get yourself an airport taxi and go to your hotel. You safe 50 Baht airportfee which is about 1 US$ !!! For this you wanna walk at night with all your stuff in an area you don't know, people you don't know, culture you don't know. No, guess you don't wanna do that ffor 1 Dollar. Just walk out the main doors and turn left to the public taxis. Queue there and wait for your taxi driver. That is the saftest way at night. Dont get a cab inside the terminal!

At 2 AM you should not expect any traffic jams and if it will mainly happen on Sukhumvit (Suk). So without traffic you should expect to pay around 300 Baht, and with traffic jam maybe 400. So estimate 300 or a little less.

Most demonstrations take place around democracy monument which is in Banglampoo. So if you stay on Suk or Silom, you will be pretty safe. But keep your eyes open for demonstrations and read the news as Bangkok Post. I just returned from Bangkok and was not affected by demonstrations in any way. I usually stay around ASOK on Suk.

#2 Posted: 3/1/2014 - 05:13

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

demo's are today announced to move to other spots-away from the democrazy!
    Safety in that is not the ''problem''-its even right in the mid of a demo much more safe as ANY Indian dowtown due to its idiot traffic. The main hazard is blockages of roads and not being able to move unless walking. The touristy lower end of Sukh is also announced as being a potential demo-spot from 13/1.

#3 Posted: 4/1/2014 - 04:47

• mgvivek

Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2013
    Location Malaysia

Dear captainbkk,
    Thanks for your information.

#4 Posted: 4/1/2014 - 06:06

• mgvivek

Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2013
    Location Malaysia

Hi Freiburger,
    For first timer which is a better place to go? Bangkok city or Pattaya? Is there lot of difference between this two places? For Hotel Quality, Cost, TG, Food, and relaxation? what you suggest ?
    My itinerary is as follows: 11th-Jan-2014 early morning 1:55 AM reaching at Don Mueang International Airport, and return on Mon 13 Jan 2014, 0925 hrs ( 9:25AM) from the same airport.
    if i travel to Pattaya, how much will be the taxi fare aprox. How much time will it take ? Please Advise...
    Thank you..

#5 Posted: 4/1/2014 - 11:21

• freiburger

Joined Travelfish
    27th December, 2012

Sorry,

I have never been to Pattaya and have no information about it.

Maybe someone else can help?

#6 Posted: 6/1/2014 - 02:33

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

"For first timer which is a better place to go? Bangkok city or Pattaya?"

Given your very first post on here indicated you wanted to meet a woman for party time I'd suggest Pattaya is best for you.

#7 Posted: 6/1/2014 - 04:14

• MADMAC

Joined Travelfish
    6th June, 2009
    Total reviews: 10

If you're chasing girls, then I agree with leonard here. It's not my place, but hey, lots of guys like it.

#8 Posted: 6/1/2014 - 08:26

• onieonv

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2014

Im planning to go there this 27 january 2014.. i believe you will arrive bangkok today.. hope you will update your holiday here, especially your experience during this demo season.

#9 Posted: 10/1/2014 - 22:32

• mgvivek

Joined Travelfish
    2nd December, 2013
    Location Malaysia

Hi Onieonv,
    so far everything is fine... Normal.

#10 Posted: 10/1/2014 - 23:27

• Advertisement

• onieonv

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2014

Hi mr vivek.. how your first day in bangkok... sorry to interupt you.. did you take taxi from the airport.. how much is it cost
    im planning to stay in patpong area... i a lil bit concern concern about this trip as i will be travelling alone and this demo season sure make me think alot about to cancel this trip.
    i hope you will advice me thanks

#11 Posted: 10/1/2014 - 23:46

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.