Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

South Thailand help

• OptsDan

Joined Travelfish
    11th August, 2013

Hi! Me and my girlfriend are flying from KL to Phuket on the 15th Jan to spend 1 month in South Tnailand to conclude our travels, flying home from Bangkok on the 14th Feb.

My question concerns our itinerary, where are the best places to go in your opinions?

Provisionally, our itinerary stands as this...

-fly into Phuket, stay a night then travel to...
    -ko phi phi
    -ko lanta
    -krabi
    -ko samui
    -ko pha ngan
    -end in ko tao, spending the most time here... getting our PADI.
    -bangkok and home

In our opinions, this is far too congested, we'd rather see more of less than spend half our time on buses and ferries. So a few questions...

1) Is it worth spending a bit of time in Phuket? We're not here to party really, and are on a bit of a budget. Is it over-commercial and expensive?

2) Where would you cut off this itinerary? Are any of the places overly similar to one another in the sense that once we've seen one, we won't need to see the other?

3) Any places or activities that you'd reccommmed?

4) Are there any festivals that will require booking accommodation in advance?

thanks in anticipation.

#1 Posted: 5/1/2014 - 22:42

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Im biased towards Krabi and Trang. Those other places have some nice beaches and the like but a bit too commercial or a bit too try hard trendy.

#2 Posted: 5/1/2014 - 22:55

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

Are you aware that the last day is overstay-beyond the normal allowed 30-days?
    Why o why people seem to think its so adorable to visit island after island? they look all the same and there is no difference between beaches on islands vs. mainland. But then I will readily admit I am no beachperson at all.
    @1. many parts of Phuket are def. so, the whole island is expensive-compared to rest of TH (but no much compared to Gold Coast) and many parts are overrun with Korean-honeymooners and Russky. With some searching you can find quiet parts though.

#3 Posted: 6/1/2014 - 07:29

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I've answered this question in a different place. Basically I suggested cutting some time off Samui on account Phangan and Tao are to me so much better although Samui is no place to avoid, maybe cutting some time in Bangkok (but I did admit some people, unlike me, love Bangkok. If you are a big city person, go for it). And using Bangkok Air from Samui to Bangkok to save bulk time.

As usual on that thread we got the usual Phuket haters - the dudes never spent more time in Phuket than a few days at Patong. Stone the crows, trendsetters - at least 20 other beaches on the island, some so laid back they make Ko Kho Khao's main 15 km strip of beach seem busy.

#4 Posted: 7/1/2014 - 00:35

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.