Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Krabi to Pak Bara for Ko Lipe

• simonesa

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2013

Hey Everyone,

I am currently planning a trip to Thailand for August 2014. I know this is pretty far in advance, but I am currently on break from school and thought I would get the bulk of my research done now.

Anyways, I am currently stuck and need a little guidance. I currently have some time in the middle of my itinerary to kill. I am undecided between Ko Lipe and Ko Lanta . Unless plans change, I will be traveling from Ko Samui to Krabi , where I will eventually head to Ko Lipe or Ko Lanta.

Now, I already know that in August if I want to go to Ko Lanta I have to take a minibus/van that will take a car ferry to Ko Lanta from Krabi. And I also believe that it will take about 3-4 hours to get from Ko Samui to Krabi (via Surant Thani).

I am curious to know how long it will take to get from Krabi to Pak Bara for the ferry to Ko Lipe. I know this is the only possible option in August, and it seems pretty far away. Travel time is going to be a big factor in my decision between Ko Lipe and Ko Lanta, as I only have a few days to give. Railay is also a third option...and of course my 4th option is to just add some time onto my stay in Ko Samui or Ko Phi Phi.

Thank you in advance for the help!

#1 Posted: 6/1/2014 - 00:40

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

It can take 5 hrs from samui to krabi. Waiting time and slow buses. If only a few days just stay in ao nang or railay. Heaps of day trips to do.

Nothing much to do on Lanta. Not much open low season and they dont bother cleaning the beaches.

#2 Posted: 6/1/2014 - 01:46

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

In years past, Lanta used to largely shut down in low season. But my last visit there I was struck by the number of places with signs OPEN ALL YEAR. The more conscientious of these will clean the beaches in front of their resorts - others wont and I'm afraid I can't tell you which are which.

Lipe is the same in that more places are staying open all year. But low season transport may not be as good - last I heard there is a daily ferry plus a daily speedboat service, weather permitting. The travel agents opposite the railway station in Trang will be able to line you up with tickets and transport to the pier in Pak Bara. (Plenty of Lanta and Krabi to Trang minibuses - and most tend to terminate at the railway station). So will travel agents on Lanta and in Krabi.
    It's a fair haul from Krabi to Lipe (I'm thinking 4-5 hours in the van but if you are on Railay etc add a minimum hour to get to the van) - depending on what time the ferry/speedboat leaves you might be in for a night in Trang or Pak Bara. The latter is not too bad - a pretty nice town to spend time. Never spent a night at Pak Bara.

One downside of Lanta is that all the tourist beaches face west into the prevailing wet season winds - can mean lots of flotsam and jetsam and big waves on and after blowier days. Personally I'd jump a ferry from Krabi to Phi Phi and stay on one of the sheltered beaches on the east coast. Or at Viking's sheltered beach on the south coast which has the advantage of being within easy walking distance of town.

Lipe's Andaman (Sunrise) and the west end of Pattaya beaches tend to be sheltered from wet season blowier periods.

#3 Posted: 7/1/2014 - 02:41

• DLuek

TF writer
    Joined Travelfish
    19th June, 2008
    Location Thailand
    Total reviews: 14

Great info as always from tezza. I've had to overnight in Pakbara a couple of times -- not a fun town to be stuck in.

#4 Posted: 7/1/2014 - 07:10

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Think Tezza means former ie stay in Trang not Pak Bara.

#5 Posted: 7/1/2014 - 07:17

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Lots of Lanta resorts stay open low season but found that not many restaurants do and boat tours dont operate so not much to do. The muay thai stadium was shut down too.

#6 Posted: 7/1/2014 - 07:27

• simonesa

Joined Travelfish
    7th April, 2013

Thanks for all the information, everyone. It has been very helpful.

#7 Posted: 7/1/2014 - 16:11

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Have an awesome time and write a review when u get back.

#8 Posted: 8/1/2014 - 01:38

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
krabi to ko lipe? ... By scootypaul on 21 Dec 2006 1 2532 21 Dec 2006