Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Krabi flights

• sarah6969pi-
    nk

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2013

Hi All,
    As I have previously posted we are doing some of SE Asia for our honeymoon in April / May.
    So far we have
    4 nights Hong Kong
    2/3 night BKK
    3/4 nights ???
    7/8 nights Krabi areas (exact beaches/islands tbc)
    2 nights BKK

As you can see we have a 3/4 night gap that we are overwhelmed with what to fill it with - we both want to visit so many places (Cambodia, Golden Triangle, Myanmar etc). We thought the easiest way to narrow it down may be to see about where it is easiest to get to Krabi from. I've tried looking for a list of places that fly direct to Krabi but I can't seem to find this info - is anyone able to help?
    Thanks in advance.

#1 Posted: 6/1/2014 - 11:58

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Fly to Trang for 3 nights then bus to Krabi.

#2 Posted: 6/1/2014 - 16:50

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I like Trang town as well and there are good islands and beaches to explore in the area. You can fly down as Leonard suggests, or even take an overnight sleeper train, if you are interested in that sort of thing. I'd recommend the first class sleeper cabin if you can get it.

I don't think three to four nights is really enough time for the Golden Triangle or Myanmar, but you might be able to visit Siem Reap or Phnom Penh if you fly both ways. The bummer there, however, is that you'd be spending quite a bit of time as well as a sizeable chunk of change en route travelling rather than doing.

If you think the extra days in southern Thailand might be more beach time than you want, then perhaps consider visiting Kanchanaburi and Ayutthaya with that time instead. Both are relatively short distances from Bangkok and have quite a bit to offer. Kanchanaburi is great for WWII history buffs and has lots of outdoorsy types of activities. Ayutthaya is the ancient Thai capital and has heaps of good ruins to visit.

You could also spend extra time in BKK, or break up the trip down south with a stop in Prachuap or somewhere else a bit off the beaten path.

Good luck!

#3 Posted: 6/1/2014 - 18:29

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I too would fly to Trang - spend those 3 or 4 nights on one of the Trang islands (Kos Libong, Ngai, Kradan, Muk).
    I'd then hop on the Petpalin daytour boat or one of the other transport options and go up to Lanta. Because of ferry timing you would have to spend the night on Lanta so why not use some of those Krabi area nights to stay more than one? Pretty nice island.
    Then you could hop on a ferry or van and spend the rest of your time in Krabi. The Krabi beaches to head for are the Railays - that time of year you will probably not have too much trouble finding accommodation there although walk in may be at a premium, particularly budget. Nearby beaches of Ton Sai (the climbers' beach - access to Railays not too difficult by several routes) and Ao Nang are alternatives. Plenty of walk in accommodation of most standards at these places (Ton Sai won't go above lower-midrange).

Now if you want to fly or bus in and out of Krabi a nice circuit for those combined 10-12 days would be Krabi-Phi Phi-Lanta-Jum-Krabi. Easy to drop one p;ace or more from this.

#4 Posted: 6/1/2014 - 22:50

• captainbkk

Joined Travelfish
    16th February, 2012

AFAIK KRA has direct flites to BKK - SIN -KUL, with ChMai to be added later by AirAsia And to the utter surpise of the tipical Ozzie, also to STOckholm, CPH=Copenhagen, HELsinki and/or OSLo. These latter only with prebooked charters in the main season.
    HKT=PHuket is fairly nearby and has many, many more direct flites/destinations.
    This airpt is also threatened by the local contra-govt protesters to close down- I guess as try-out or rehearsal of BKK.
    So your new ''hubbie'' promised to visit as many countries as the marriage will last?

#5 Posted: 7/1/2014 - 06:01

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Captain, your post makes no sense.

#6 Posted: 7/1/2014 - 06:39

• chinarocks

Joined Travelfish
    17th June, 2011

I have to say I sort of understand this one. By the captain's standards, this post is Shakespearean.

What country (planet) are you from captain?

#7 Posted: 7/1/2014 - 08:05

• sarah6969pi-
    nk

Joined Travelfish
    28th October, 2013

Thank you so much everyone for all your help - will look into Trang now, I must admit total ignorance having never heard of it! We did consider extra days in BKK as have been there a few times before and do love it.
    I think I just want to be adventurous as possible on this trip, but I know that doesn't necessarily end up being a nice holiday! My problem is I have the mindset of someone on a gap year but only a few weeks!!

#8 Posted: 7/1/2014 - 15:57

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.