Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

News from the Trang islands?

• butterchick-
    en

Joined Travelfish
    1st January, 2013

Hello
    I will visit Trang and the surrounding islands in two weeks (been there last year too).
    Have some of you been there this season? Are there any new, freshly opened resorts on the islands which are not yet listet here on travelfish or in the guidebooks?
    Has anyone been at Ao Niang resort on Koh Kradanand can share some experience? Is it too basic? I can't find much information and also no contact data, do they still run? And is it possible to reach the others beaches/ resorts (especially Paradis Lost) during high tide? I'm not sure if there is a path through the forest.
    After Trang islands, I'm planning to visit Koh Bulon and head to Langkawi. Is the speedboat via Koh Lipe the only option? Or is it cheaper/faster via Pak Bara-satun? I guess there is no minibus service between Pak Bara and Satun, so it will extend the costs.
    Any other advices for Trang islands and Bulon?
    THX!

#1 Posted: 10/1/2014 - 03:58

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Id stay at Mook.or Ngai. Thought Kradan was boring.

#2 Posted: 10/1/2014 - 04:37

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

Not THIS season, but I stayed on Kradan last high season and may be able to answer some of your questions.

I'm not exactly sure what places are on travelfish and the in the books but the places new or refurbished to me from a visit 2 years earlier were;
    - some relatively new bungalows developed by a Trang local Moon, ex owner of Paradise Resort, on the site of his old resort just north of the main path from the front beach into Wally's Paradise Lost. These new places, looked flashpacker/lower midrange, and were being run byKradan Beach Resort just to the north which also had a new beachfront restaurant.
    - just north of luxury Severn Seas was a midrange with pool place under construction, about 70% finished. No one could tell me its name but it should be open now.
    - North of Kalume was Coral Garden with some flash lower midrange looking bungalows.
    - next north of this was the joint I stayed in this time, Kradan Island Resort. This old timer had refurbished the bungalows. Absolute beachfront trad style backpacker joints with some double storey family types in the second row. Bungalows okay, food not so hot, value underwhelming.

You ask about Ao Niang resort. I haven't stayed but my friend wonderingstar has and gives some details at the foot of his Kradan snorkelling page
    - click #2 under more topside info.
    "DO THEY STILL RUN?" - well when I passed by it looked like they had done all the hard work developing the joint so I'd like to think it wasn't in vain. But in Thailand you never know.
    It IS possible to reach Paradise Lost via a jungle track which heads north from the beach. Last time I walked it, it was in pretty good condition. Maybe 10 minutes.
    Best way to reach the main beach at HIGH TIDE is to go up to Paradise Lost and take one of the two paths to the right. Add 10 minutes. 5 minutes to the left from PD is Sunset Beach which can be real nice although it was badly eroded my last visit. It's a doddle to climb over the rocks between Ao Niang's beach and the main beach at low tide, maybe even wade around. But a bit of a hassle at high tide.

I've done both routes Lipe to Langkawi. The speedboat is by far the faster option and I don't think too much more expensive. Last I heard there was still one slow boat on the route but these things change.
    These days there could be a minibus Pak Bara to Satun - the boat ticket sellers on Lipe will know. If not there are plenty of songthaews/motorbike taxis etc the 10km or so into La Ngu from where you can get songthaews/big buses to Satun. But all this takes time - I reckon this leg alone will take longer than the direct speedboat and maybe even the slowboat if it still runs.

#3 Posted: 12/1/2014 - 17:11

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.