Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

21 days in Thailand, itinerary advice

• Sobersailor

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2014

Hey All, this is my first post here. Was lurking for a good while in the background, gathering information crumbles from every related post...:D

Planning to go to Thailand in February. The itinerary would be the following:

Day 1 Arriving to Bangkok from Kuala Lumpur.

Day 1-2 Bangkok.
    Day 3 Ayutthaya.
    Day 4-6 Chiang Mai and surroundings.
    Day 7 Flying to Krabi. (Any trouble with airport?)
    Day 8-13 Krabi, Phi Phi, Koh Lanta.
    Day 14-15 Khao Sok National Park.
    Day 16-20 Ko Samui, Ko Pha ngan.
    Day 21 Back to Bangkok.

We are a young couple, not looking for noisy parties, both of us love nature, good food, and new experiences. If you have any ideas how to make our journey (itinerary) better-easier please don't be shy posting your opinion. Thanx in advance. Have a nice day.

#1 Posted: 10/1/2014 - 17:59

• Advertisement

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

Hi sailor,

Welcome to Travelfish, as the host has been known to say.

Your itinerary looks fine, at least from a logistics point of view, although Chiang Mai is a long way to go for just three days, and you'll be moving around quite a bit between places down south as well. If it were me, I'd either carve out a few extra days for Chiang Mai and the north, or skip it by substituting something like Kanchanaburi in its place. You'll save time and money that way, and while I prefer Chiang Mai to Kanchanaburi, the latter is a worthwhile destination on its own too.

You may want to consider fewer destinations down south as well. Maybe cut out Phi Phi or Koh Lanta (or both) rather than split that week between three destinations. It frequently takes half a day to move even between two relatively close places, between checking out of the guesthouse, getting to the transport, waiting, going, finding a new place to stay, etc. You don't want to spend too large a percentage of your time going from A to B when you could be enjoying A (or B) instead. Same with Samui or Pha Ngan. I'd just pick one and go with you.

The airport in Krabi is fine, although it is a bit out of town. I hope that helps. Have a great trip.

#2 Posted: 10/1/2014 - 19:02

• Sobersailor

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2014

Hi Exacto, thanx for your quick and helpful reply. Really appreciate it. Would probably lessen the number of places then and just chill....:D Thanx again.

#3 Posted: 10/1/2014 - 20:42

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

no worries. one of the many great things about travel in Thailand is that it is so flexible. if you find you like a place, you can hang out a bit longer. if you don't like a place, it is easy to move on to the next. you can travel with a general plan rather than a strict itinerary. have fun. regards.

#4 Posted: 10/1/2014 - 22:10

• jan1

Joined Travelfish
    20th April, 2004
    Places visited:
    At least 16

I agree with Exacto personally I don’t think Chiang Mai is worth the visit unless you go further into the country side ie to Pai

Maybe miss out Koh Lanta and head to Railey, Koh Phi Phi, Koh Lak, and Koh Sok as it is all in the same coast line,

My husband and I hired a car from Krabi airport on one trip which made getting about and covering large distances easier we went from Koh Sok N P for 2 nights, 3 nights Koh Lak, then on to Railey Ao Nang and Koh Phi Phi then took the flight to Koh Samui

On Koh Samui I allways allow one night fo Jungle Club on Koh Samui nice place to chill out and the end of the trip

If you are in Bangkok on a Sat or Sun check out the Chatuchak market

be adaptable incase you like a place and want to spend an extra night there

Any questions feel free to message me

Have a great trip Jan

#5 Posted: 21/1/2014 - 02:13

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Id do Trang and Krabi and drop Samui. Samui is expensive and mega touristy

#6 Posted: 21/1/2014 - 04:12

• Sobersailor

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2014

Thanx for the help and the advice, will talk to my wife and choose what we want to see, xtra mega touristy places would be a big no-no....:D

#7 Posted: 21/1/2014 - 09:38

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Skip PhiPhi as well then because it's party central and very touristy too, probably not your cup of tea at all. Try Ko Jum instead, very easy to stop off there on the way to Lanta (same ferry from Krabi) so it makes sense logistically as well.

#8 Posted: 21/1/2014 - 09:55

• Sobersailor

Joined Travelfish
    10th January, 2014

Thanx for all of the advice, can not wait for the 1st of February...:D Hope it'll be as amazing as on photos I've seen.

#9 Posted: 26/1/2014 - 07:27

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Laos itinerary advice - 11 days ... By sleepymonster on 3 Nov 2010 4 2059 4 Nov 2010
60 days in Indochina. Suggestions/advice on my itinerary welcome! ... By Lornie on 21 Nov 2008 2 2323 21 Nov 2008
Advice on Itinerary- 7 days travel Saigon to Hanoi ... By raineong on 26 Mar 2013 7 3264 4 Apr 2013
16 days itinerary advice - including trip questions ... By Jaimyvandijke on 26 Jul 2013 4 1480 29 Jul 2013