Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Long time reader.... Southern Thailand with Parents - Advice?

• Phynss

Joined Travelfish
    12th January, 2014

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hello all as stated long time reader.

We (wife to be and I, early 30s) have my parents (early 60s) visiting us late Feb for 10 days in Thailand. We have been on a year of travel since March 2013, and here in SE Asia until end of March 2014.

Anyway we have 10 nights with my parents who fly into Phuket, their first time in Asia (they also leave from Phuket). Have booked the first 4 into a place near Phuket Town we visited 2011, will explore, eat, catch up, day at local beaches, probably stay away from Patong etc.

Question is advice on the other 6 nights.

We were thinking 3 in Kao Ya Noi for relax, then 3 in Ao Nang which we've been to before(2011). Yes we know what Ao Nang is like , and now we having doubts about visiting and what to do with these 6 nights.

Is there anything in Ao Nang that you can't get / do in Phuket?

Any other way we could structure the 6 nights? Khao Lak? Skip Ao Nang? Alternative Krabi base? Lanta? (we have been there too and thought bit much travel for the time)

As it's their first time in Thailand we want to take them on an elephant ride, do a cooking class, my mother can buy some rubbish clothes / trinkets from the markets. Also want to see some nice scenery and beaches.

We have spent a bit of time now in Thailand and thought we'd be able to sort this but having trouble - thoughts appreciated.

Any further detail required please ask.

Thanks in advance.

#1 Posted: 12/1/2014 - 02:10

• Advertisement

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

It's possible to do many circuits out of Phuket, but I think your Phuket- Ao Nang -Yao Noi is a good one. My only reservation is that YOU have seen Ao Nang and might gain from another location. More later - but let's deal with some of your questions:

-"Is there anything in Ao Nang that you can't get / do in Phuket?"
    I'm thinking much closer proximity to fantastic karst landscape plus okay (but not mind blowing) snorkelling opportunities and mangrove kayaking differentiates them. Otherwise Ao Nang these days is a mini Karon/Kata/Patong - has the full range of services and accommodation and is a pretty good base.

"Alternative Krabi base?"
    I'm a big fan of the Railays and always try to stay there when in the area - if you haven't stayed yourself this could be a good new experience. No doubt you will want to show yer parents Railay/Phra Nang - well hell, why not stay in the area? Downsides include a more limited choice of accommodation which is often booked out well in advance.
    I have also stayed at Ton Sai, Hat Ton Song and Klong Muang. Ton Sai is adjacent to West Railay, has much cheaper accommodation and some new lower midrangers yer parent might like but the access to Railay is not so easy for older people unless they are pretty fit and sprightly. Or unless they catch a boat - might as well stay at Ao Nang in that case.
    The other two are nice but kinda isolated. More time consuming to access the key areas of the district.

More stuff later - Lady Tezza is calling me for dinner and I often refer to her in unoriginal terms as SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED.

#2 Posted: 13/1/2014 - 00:32

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

"---we want to take them on an elephant ride, do a cooking class, my mother can buy some rubbish clothes / trinkets from the markets. Also want to see some nice scenery and beaches."
    I think you can do all these things with your combined choices. Phuket gives the best chances of elephant rides/cooking classes and shopping but all should be available at or near Ao Nang . Maybe Yao Noi too, maybe not.

Alternatives? Plenty. Phuket, Phi Phi, Railay is one I did with a member of my family who only had a week in the area this past Sept - first visit to Thailand.
    Getting Lanta in there in substitute e to Krabi or Phi Phi would work, but travel is a bit more time consuming.

Ditto Phuket-Khao Lak-Khao Sok.

I reckon you have picked a good itinerary. Talking of time saving, you probably already know of Green Planet's speedboat which can take you from Ao Nang to Yao Noi and then onto Phuket's Bang Rong pier, from where they have minivans to deliver to the beaches and airport. Tickets available all around Ao Nang.

#3 Posted: 13/1/2014 - 05:08

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Ao Nang is just a base to explore the area - hot springs, kayaking, snorkelling. The tours on offer are excellent. Ao Nang itself is ordinary.

IMO Phuket isn't worth much time at all. It's way overpriced.

"We were thinking 3 in Kao Ya Noi for relax"

Never been myself but the photos make the beaches look ordinary. I would think Lanta (been twice) has better beaches for relaxing.

Phuket- Krabi -Lanta is easy to do via ferries.

Not a fan of Railay like Terry. The resorts are overpriced as is the food. Very limited food options there and kind of boring at night. At least in Ao Nang you can walk around. Krabi Town has the best food in the area, otherwise the food markets which operate on certain days - there's one at Nopphorat and one over the hill at Ao Nang.

#4 Posted: 13/1/2014 - 13:16

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

I really enjoyed Khao Sok National Park Lake Tour, it is something to think about. Like Tezza said something like Phuket-Khao Lak-Khao Sok would have a little more travel though.

Although with 4 people you could probably rent a driver between places reasonably.

#5 Posted: 13/1/2014 - 15:38

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006

Geer has a very good point. As a solo traveller most visits I'm always thinking in terms of bus/minivan prices and transfer times. But with 4, a car and driver would not be too much more expensive. If at all.

#6 Posted: 14/1/2014 - 00:50

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Or rent a car yourself. Nice scenic driving bt Phuket and Krabi with a stop off at Khao Sok.

See budget or avis. Free one way drop off over a week. Could drive one way and ferry it back. Good loop.

#7 Posted: 14/1/2014 - 01:05

• Phynss

Joined Travelfish
    12th January, 2014

Posted from within Vietnam.

Thanks all for the feedback, appreciated.

Tezza I have spent much time reading your blog, helped out for trips to Lipe and Ko Chang (gulf)

Renting a car interesting idea, have spent quite a bit of time riding motorbikes in Thailand but never driven.

Mr Cohen any specific food recommendations in Krabi town would be great if possible.

Thanks again.

#8 Posted: 14/1/2014 - 03:46

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012

Just look for restaurants full of Thais. Ao Nang ones r full of farangs. Pizzas in Ao Nang r better than most of the thai food.

#9 Posted: 14/1/2014 - 04:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Possible two week itinerary for Southern Thailand, too much for so little time? ... By lys36 on 21 Aug 2013 4 2071 25 Aug 2013
Advice for Southern Thailand ... By ajr81 on 8 Sep 2011 7 1218 14 Sep 2011
Advice on going to Thailand for first time. ... By joeg on 17 Dec 2009 16 3279 21 Dec 2009
First time in Thailand - itinerary advice? ... By StevenBX on 20 Jan 2013 3 2035 23 Jan 2013