Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Tourist Visa for thailand??

• kellyirelan-
    d92

Joined Travelfish
    14th January, 2014

I am planning a 4-5 month trip around SEA, i am an irish citizen. I am entering bangkok and travelling north for 2 weeks, then heading around loas,vietnam and cambodia. Then i am heading to singapore and indonesia. I am planning on flying from Indonesia to Phuket or Krabi, from my knowledge i am going to get a 30 day(Exemption) again, but i would like a 60 day tourist visa this time as i want to spend 5 weeks in thailand to end my trip. As i will be travelling around i can't get the tourist visa before i go as i will be entering bangkok first and it will come into effect then. Is there anywhere from what i've mentioned above, can i get a 60 day tourist visa for thailand??? Or what is the best way to do this.

#1 Posted: 14/1/2014 - 15:18

• Advertisement

• Geer1

Joined Travelfish
    14th September, 2012
    Places visited:
    At least 42

Depending on your plans your best/cheapest option may be to do a visa run. All you have to do is cross a border and come back and they will give you another 30 days. There are many locations that this is quite easy to do from. From the far south can go into Malaysia, if a little north of Phuket area can head to Ranong and do a run to Burma or if in northern or eastern Thailand can head to a mixture of Burma, Laos or Cambodia.

Otherwise I am guessing you will be in Bali for a while(if not put it on your itinerary). Here is an article, sounds pretty painless just takes a couple days to get processed. http://www.travelfish.org/blogs/indonesia/2012/05/10/getting-a-thai-tourist-visa-in-bali/

Alternatively you should be able to get one in other cities that have a Bangkok consulate(Vientiane, Phnom Penh, HCMC, Hanoi) . So if you are going to be in one of those places for a while get your visa while there.

#2 Posted: 14/1/2014 - 18:39

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

In my experience airlines flying to Thailand from Europe demand to see either a tourist visa or an onward flight ticket out of Thailand within 30 days before they'll let you board the plane. If you're flying to Laos you could use the free 30 day stamp on arrival and then get a 60 day tourist visa later from a Thai consulate in one of the other countries you're visiting. Visa runs are a hassle, time consuming and they often end up costing more than the tourist visa does. (Transport costs to and from the border, and you have to pay for a visa to enter every neighbouring country except Malaysia)

Another possible option is to get a single entry tourist visa before leaving Ireland (this will allow you to board your plane to Thailand) and ask Thai immigration not to stamp it the first time you arrive. Explain (politely) that you're leaving for Laos in 2 weeks and want to use the 60 day visa when you come back later. If you're spending longer than 3 months in neighbouring countries this won't work though because the validity of the visa (90 days from date of issue) will have expired.

The simplest option would be to just get a double-entry tourist visa.

#3 Posted: 14/1/2014 - 19:40

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
If I get A Tourist Visa For Thailand, Can I.......... ... By JamieG on 23 Jul 2010 1 1930 23 Jul 2010
Thailand tourist visa ... By thaikc7461 on 2 Sep 2010 6 8211 6 Sep 2010
Thailand tourist visa ... By mattd82 on 7 Sep 2009 1 2285 7 Sep 2009
thailand tourist visa available in vietnam? ... By sharpie on 26 Mar 2010 0 2200 26 Mar 2010
Extending tourist visa in Thailand ... By scarletina on 25 Mar 2009 1 2917 25 Mar 2009
Thailand - Will I need to apply for a tourist visa? ... By MEvans on 7 Oct 2008 6 2077 7 Oct 2008
Double entry tourist visa in Thailand ... By madindaelephant on 13 Apr 2008 1 7025 14 Apr 2008
Thailand tourist visa fee exemption extended ... By bakpakk on 3 May 2010 0 2733 3 May 2010
Thailand and Cambodia announce combined tourist visa ... By somtam2000 on 26 Dec 2012 1 1511 26 Dec 2012