Photo: Almost Maldivian at Ao Noi, Ko Kut.

Thailand forum

Need rec for 2-3 days in the north

Posted by dpassin on 14/1/2014 at 23:25

I'm in Chiang Mai but want to get away for a couple nights to see something different. Have been to Chiang rai already. Any suggestions? I will be coming back to Chiang Mai after. I am traveling alone and would love to go somewhere I might meet other travelers.

#1 dpassin has been a member since 14/1/2014. Posts: 1

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 15/1/2014 at 05:43

Hire a car and drive to Pai. Full of backpackers.

#2 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by travellingsarah on 15/1/2014 at 22:00 TF writer

Yup, Pai. Bus will be cheaper than hiring a car.

#3 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 679
 Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 16/1/2014 at 10:00

Pai is boring if you don't have wheels. Small town.

#4 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148

Posted by exacto on 16/1/2014 at 10:25

I would normally suggest Chiang Dao for a quick getaway from Chiang Mai, but it might not be as good a place to meet other travellers as places like Pai and Soppong. You could also look into Mae Hong Son. It's farther to go, but has a very different feel from most of northern Thailand. If you are interested in meeting Thai and other Asian travellers instead of just westerners, you could also try Lampang, a few hours south of Chiang Mai. It has a good local music scene, weekend market, and a few interesting local tourist attractions. Have fun.

#5 exacto has been a member since 12/2/2006. Location: United States. Posts: 2,606
 Where has exacto been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.