Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Islands: Gulf vs. Andaman Sea

• Tetso

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2014

Planning a trip back to Thailand for some island / snorkeling time and wanted to get some advice on the Gulf vs. the Andaman Sea. I've been to Ko Tao (AMAZING) and Ko Pha Ngan (both in the Gulf) - but that was 10 years ago. I really liked Ko Tao, it wasn't too crowded, it was quiet for the most part and had easy access to amazing snorkeling all around the island. I'm looking for something similar with good snorkeling - no need for big hotels / resorts. Ko Kood and Ko Mak look good. I was also considering Vietnam, but it seems that most would suggest islands in Thailand and Myanmar as better spots for snorkeling. Would love to get your thoughts and recommendations. Note that I'll be traveling December 2014 - January 2015 - curious if there are any weather issues I should know about. Thank you.

#1 Posted: 17/1/2014 - 16:29

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Ko Kood doesn't have much snorkelling. Better off heading to islands like Ngai and Lipe. Phi Phi also has good snorkelling.

Weather will be good that time of year on those islands. Prime season. Might be busy though as it's peak time and prices go up. Don't expect quiet beaches.

#2 Posted: 17/1/2014 - 19:38

• Tetso

Joined Travelfish
    17th January, 2014

Thanks for the advice LeonardChoen1. Have you been to Ko Kood. Everything I've been reading says it has really good snorkeling. Ngai and Lipe sound interesting but we've always avoided Phi Phi - too many people.

Have you done any traveling from Thailand into Cambodia to see Angar Wat? Or into Vietnam? We'd like to do some train travel.

Thanks,

#3 Posted: 17/1/2014 - 20:07

• tezza

Joined Travelfish
    13th April, 2006
    Total reviews: 61

I've been to Kood and Maak several times. Sweet islands, particularly Kood, but not known for good snorkelling. Or snorkelling full stop. The best off the beach in the region is good ol' Ko Whai which has a reef going all the way from Ko Wai Paradise in the north past Pakarang in the central east - pretty good by Thai standards but way below what I saw last August at Tao. And third rate compared to world's best standard.

Tao is the best I've seen in Thailand these past couple of years where coral bleaching has knocked many key spots like the Similans and Surins about real bad. Ko Kradan is maybe next best.

I've been going back to Tao at least every second year since the mid-80s. Sure has changed and is way busier - even from your perspective of 10 years ago. Thing is, you can still find some very laid back locations on Tao. And no matter where you stay, if you take one of the around island snorkelling trips advertised everywhere, you will see the best spots. If you want to stay in the area I've seen best coral close to shore, pick Hing Wong Bay. Warning, no real beach here but a sweet spot. For a good beach and coral not too far down the scale - Ao Tanote.

So back to your original question: which is best - Andaman or Gulf?
    Hell, after maybe 30 visits I don't know.
    The Andaman has more variety, maybe the best seascapes in Thailand (Krabi, Phi Phi, Phang Nga Bay). The most overt island - Phuket. And some of the most laid back - eg Ko Phratong. The biggest problem is you have to move around.

This is the appeal of the southern Gulf islands - Tao/Phangan/Samui. They are so close that moving islands is real easy. And Phangan, which has become my favourite island, has a beach for everyone from ravers to those seeking the out of the way laid back location. I could spend a whole month on Phangan simply moving beaches. But the snorkelling can't match nearby Tao.

But okay, you also ask about the eastern Gulf islands - these are isolated from the southern Gulf ones by a hell of a distance and there is no way to avoid Bangkok (although if you fly Bangkok Airways you will simply change 'planes). Well, I've covered Kood, Maak and Wai. Actually big Chang has the best snorkelling trips although snorkelling off the beach aint too whelming. Lotsa people don't like the way big Chang has developed, but this is another island that has a beach (or part of a beach) for everyone.

#4 Posted: 18/1/2014 - 02:18

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Never been to Kood but no one says the snorkelling is good. The owner of this site loves the island though.

Ive done the snorkelling tour from Chang - can do it via speedboat or ferry. Done both and ferry is better as journey is smoother.

You visit Ko Wai, a national park island plus coral cays. Great tour. 550 baht ferry or 900 baht speedboat incl lunch. Highly recommended.

Not sure if Kood offers the same tour.

Chang is a cool island to relax on imo.

#5 Posted: 19/1/2014 - 05:18

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Andaman Sea and Gulf of Thailand Islands ... By TheGoose on 9 Feb 2009 1 3229 10 Feb 2009
Gulf or Andaman Sea in June? ... By trudat on 25 Jan 2008 2 2123 26 Jan 2008
Andaman gulf beginning of December ... By Seba on 28 Sep 2009 1 1306 29 Sep 2009
beach in February - Andaman coast vs Gulf ... By adriana_o on 21 Jan 2013 4 2006 22 Jan 2013
heading to HOT Thailand - Andaman vs. Gulf side in May!? ... By jkian on 9 Apr 2011 9 3060 22 Apr 2011
Beach In August: Andaman Coast vs. Gulf of Thailand ... By shaka317 on 4 May 2012 2 2196 10 May 2012
2 weeks on the beach: Andaman or Gulf - or both? Opinions appreciated! ... By krisandleo on 3 Nov 2006 3 1896 7 Nov 2006
Cambodia Islands (Gulf of Kompong Som) or SE Thailand Islands? ... By pucca_girl45 on 4 Dec 2012 2 2045 26 Dec 2012
July-Aug Trip to the Gulf Islands ... By Trizzo on 28 May 2013 0 893 28 May 2013
Andaman Islands ... By adammont on 28 Aug 2013 7 1392 27 Nov 2013