Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

A good place to post up in Thailand for cheap?

• Skittens

Joined Travelfish
    1st January, 2014

Hi. I'm a writer currently in Thailand. I'm going to be doing some traveling around Asia with a friend for the next month or so, but after that I'm going to be looking for a place to post up and get some work done. Ideally I would like to find a place that is relatively inexpensive and laid back, a mix of travelers and locals, and the opportunity to socialize when I want but also a place to recede to when I want to work or chill or read. Of course this is all personal preference, but I'm open to ideas. I've heard Pai could be a good place? Anyway, thank ya'll in advance.

#1 Posted: 19/1/2014 - 09:00

• Advertisement

• LeonardCohe-
    n1

Joined Travelfish
    24th July, 2012
    Total reviews: 11

Not a fan of Pai. I'd go for somewhere like Lanta or Chang but I'm a beach person.

#2 Posted: 20/1/2014 - 08:44

• Tilapia

Click here to learn more about Tilapia
    Joined Travelfish
    21st April, 2006
    Location Canada
    Total reviews: 15
    Places visited:
    At least 113

Nong Khai is good. Easy to get to, on the Mekong with direct access to Laos, lots of decent places to retreat to both east and west, major city an hour south, moderate ex-pat scene, not too busy with tourists, good infrastructure.

Trat and Chanthaburi are also very nice, laid back towns that most people skip.

If you don't mind being landlocked, I think that Sukhothai is a great town with lots of inexpensive accommodations.

Kanchanaburi would also be a good option.

Prachuap Khiri Khan would be a good choice if you want to be on the Gulf. It's on the train line, has good accommodations, a growing ex-pat community, excellent and inexpensive seafood, and is also skipped by most visitors to the country.

#3 Posted: 20/1/2014 - 13:37

• exacto

Joined Travelfish
    12th February, 2006
    Location United States
    Total reviews: 47
    Places visited:
    At least 98

I second Tilapia's recommendations for Nong Khai and Sukhothai . Nong Khai is one of my favorite places in all of Thailand, and as Tilapia says, you are close to small, more intimate spots either way along the river or Vientiane on the other side. Sukhothai has a good mix of western travelers and locals, and a larger variety of restaurants and places to stay than you'd expect in such a small place. I really like Trat too, by the way, but I'm not sure it gets as many western travelers as it once did, as most seem to blow right through on their way to the islands. There are good markets and chances to hang out with locals in Trat, however, and it puts you a short way from several good Thai islands like Chang. One last suggestion might be Kanchanaburi.

#4 Posted: 20/1/2014 - 21:30

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Jumemalee Guesthouse Nong Khai- a good and cheap place ... By minimoskito on 9 Dec 2012 1 1725 9 Dec 2012