Flag of Thailand

Thailand forum

Trip Report Phu Nam Ron - Visa run only 200km from Bangkok

• relaxedTrev

Joined Travelfish
    20th November, 2013

Trip report from Phu Nam Ron, closest border to Bangkok for Visa extensions being only 200km via Kanchanaburi and or quickest overland route to Myanmar.
    I left Bangkok in the morning taking the shuttle bus which leaves throughout the day at 20-40 minute intervals. The minibus cost $110 Bhat, but equally I could have bused or the train. The mini van dropped me at the Kanchanaburi bus station.
    From there we then caught the 11:30am (also 10:30 & 12:30) bus from Kanchanaburi to Phu Nam Ron, note this is the blue bus which costs 70 Bhat, not the red one which goes to a similar named town. The bus arrived a little after 1pm. For those driving you need to take the AH 123 / 3512 which is a new road all the way. In Phu Nam Ron there is a cosy café right next to the immigration office which does good coffee and lunches.

The Thai immigration is small but well setup to stamp and process, being a new border gate the crowds are still minimal, no chaos like other crossings. You travel into Myanmar where the goad turns to gravel in the some untouched jungle at which point the Visa runner’s return to Thailand. While we got our Myanmar Visas stamped by Myanmar immigration and continued through to Dawei and Maung Ma Kan Beach approximately 150km on the Myanmar side of the border. Amazing place much more like Thailands beaches 20 odd years ago.

The full blog and info on the Myanmar side can be found on my blog http://www.southernmyanmar.com/transportation/phu-nam-ron-border-crossing-blog/

#1 Posted: 19/1/2014 - 22:12

• Advertisement

• SBE

Click here to learn more about SBE
    Joined Travelfish
    14th April, 2008
    Location Global Village
    Total reviews: 5
    Places visited:
    At least 2

Thanks for that, very useful info and a good blog too, I've just bookmarked it! :-)

Sounds like this wasn't just a simple visa run though and you had a 28 day visa already in your passport? If someone managed to travel further into Myanmar on the 14 day stamp they issue at the border, that would be news indeed!

#2 Posted: 19/1/2014 - 23:08

Have questions? Jump to our menu of forum quicklinks

Add your reply

Your reply

Check this box if you want to be notified of replies.

Please be familiar with our user guidelines before you post. Thanks!

Businesses planning on plugging their guesthouse / hotel / karaoke bar should read our "Addition guidelines" very carefully.

You need to be logged in to answer an existing post on the Travelfish forums. Please login via the prompts just above and refresh this screen -- before writing your post -- and you'll be in business.

Possibly related discussions Replies  Views  Latest reply
Trip report - Bangkok, Laos, Cambodia ... By syzafar on 12 Sep 2007 4 9132 29 May 2008
Lake Safari from Bangkok, a new and unique experience in Thailand. Trip report ... By jonasnilsson888 on 1 Dec 2009 1 3501 1 Dec 2009